“Loved it and will definitely come back”

Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel was the best hotel that I have ever stayed in. It was clean, comfortable and the staff bent over backwards to assist us in every need. I would recommend they bring the prices down a bit. It is expensive. The property was clean, food was great and the hotel was very safe. Rooms were modern and comfortable and the bathrooms were just gorgeous! I will definitely visit this property again.

Room Tip: Just ask for a view with a balcony
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JosiePortSaintLucie
Athomas_oceankey, Public Relations Manager at Ocean Key Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

We are SO glad you had such a wonderful time. Thank you so much for your comments and we hope to see you back very soon!

There are newer reviews for Ocean Key Resort & Spa

Reviewed 12 June 2011

loved the resort and pool. The staff very nice and caring .If you need the beach this place is not for you. If you want to be walking distance to every thing this the place to be. Would stay here again

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank sharon54Ohio

Thank you so much for your kind words! We loved having you here and can't wait for your return!

Reviewed 11 June 2011

The service was excellent. Clean, knowledgable, and helpful staff. Close to everything within walking distance. However, we did rent 2 scooters which is across the street, to tour the whole island. Its next to Mallory Square, some rooms overlook the square.Our room was beautiful and luxurious. We had beautiful view of Duval street and the ocean. Loved the pool area and the treatment given there. Cushioned lounges, towel boy, frozen towel girl ( which is new to me), barkeeper kept my drinks flowing. Considering the location it was very quiet and relaxing. I would stay again if I get the chance to go back.

Room Tip: Pool and oceanview may be the best. All are good.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

We are so glad you had such a great time and truly appreciate the time you took to write a review. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 11 June 2011

We'd booked an 11 night stay at the Ocean Key Resort. I thought I'd done my homework, but -- wow -- did I get it wrong.

I thought this hotel would be in its own grounds and would, to some extent, be an oasis of calm. I knew that Key West would be noisy, but I had no idea how noisy.

We were told that this hotel had originally been a timeshare development, constructed in (I believe) the 1970's. The building itself certainly is a strange design, and there are no "grounds" whatsoever. The only greenery we saw was suspended on wires above the ground-level parking lot.

Our suite was lovely: two generous rooms, our own private massage suite (with a second door leading outside, so the masseuse could enter/leave privately), a huge bathtub and walk-in shower. We had a beautiful view over the water and the pier, and therein lay the problem.

Music. LOUD MUSIC. Live, and until 11 PM each night -- and beyond. I certainly don't mind live music in a resort environment until (say) 8 or 9 PM each night, but beyond that the hotel becomes more of a nightclub than a resort.

We were told on night 1 that the live band was completing the second night of a two night gig. At 11:15 or thereabouts the hotel manager went down and asked them to please stop, which they did. The next morning I enquired about the music each night going forward, and was assured by the duty manager and concierge that the music would stop at 8 PM. Wrong. There was a wedding on the pier on night 2 that went on past 11 PM. More apologies, but didn't really make us feel any better.

We don't want to be spoil-sports -- the grumpy people pounding on the wall shouting, "Turn that music down!" But, equally, the music was so loud that we literally couldn't hear TV in our own room with the windows closed. And this made it impossible to enjoy the sea air.

We left after night 2 -- so much for our 11 night stay at Ocean Key.

A few other points. First the good. The concierge, Patrick DeKeyrel, was excellent. At one point we thought about bringing our dogs. We asked if the hotel was dog-friendly (it isn't), but Patrick even contacted a near-by hotel to ask them if they were dog-friendly. Not many hotels would do that. Patrick was very knowledgeable about Key West, and gave us some excellent recommendations. And when we left early, he kindly and efficiently forwarded several parcels to us.

The room service folks and the evening restaurant manager were also great, and very helpful.

A little more bad. We had breakfast in the hotel -- once. Nearly $40 for a single kiddie box of raisin bran, oatmeal, a latte, and orange juice. My cereal was served with the spoon backwards -- bowl towards me, handle away. Not a big deal, but when I am paying $40 I expect the service to be a little better than that. We sat right next to one of those large circular black trays on a stand, and the service staff scraped dirty plates within my arm reach.

The pool on their website was photographed with a 14mm lens. The actual pool is small, and the pool chairs are wooden and have a home-made look. Outside guests sit at tables between the pool and the water, removing any feeling of privacy.

This hotel can't have it both ways: I don't think they can sell a $500+ per night suite and have the revenue from serving cocktails to "party guests" until after 11 PM -- all within 20 feet of each other.

Room Tip: Get one at another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Athomas_oceankey, Public Relations Manager at Ocean Key Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2011

Thanks so much for expressing your concerns. To be sure, we care deeply about our guests experiences. We are disappointed that we could not provide you with the type of experience you expected.

As you mentioned in your letter, our ocean front suites are overlooking the Sunset Pier and the ocean. The pier does include live music as part of the Key West island atmosphere. We apologize that you felt the music was intrusive. Our management staff was truly upset that there were no vacancies in the hotel that evening. Had there been, we may have been able to more closely meet your expectations.

We wish we would have had the pleasure of servicing you for a longer stay, but we understand that the environment was not what you had hoped for. We hope that the remainder of your vacation was pleasurable and trouble free.

All the best,

Ocean Key Resort Management Team

Reviewed 10 June 2011

This was our 3rd stay at the Ocean Key Resort. This time I had one 2 free night and $100 resort credit on facebook. I was so excited I decided this time I wanted to pick what kind of room I wanted. On previous vists I just took what was the cheapest and always ended up with a upgrade or a super nice room. I love the pool so I wanted a room that over looked the pool. When we arrived my husband was a little shocked that it didnot over look the completely but near the other room and you had to go to the balconly and turn to see the pool. I didn't care, I loved the room. It was very clean and I loved the size of the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and it is nice to have a living room and patio with a balcony. We were on the 4th floor so it was convient to the pool and other areas. We had room service one night and they were promt and the food was great. On the last evening we had dinner at Hot Tin Roof and it was fantastic. I love this resort and the pool area. We hung out for hours almost everyday. The staff is friendly and helpful, bringing you drinks while you float around in the pool. I don't think I could stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keywest22

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had such a great time! Please come back and see us again - the pool and Hot Tin Roof will be ready and waiting!

Reviewed 9 June 2011

This is the third time my husband and I have stayed at Ocean Key in the last 2 years, and it just gets better and better. We have been treated to an upgraded suite on each trip and this time was over the top. We were told this was the Presidential Suite, which we took with a grain of salt, but it was flat out beautiful. Top floor, ocean view plus Mallory Square. Big balcony, a beautiful sitting room and dining area. And 2 gorgeous bedrooms to choose from. The rooms are very tastefully decorated, the beds are comfortable, and the linens terrifically soft. We arrived quite late and unfortunately discovered that the air-conditioning wasn't working and they couldn't get it fixed that evening. It was inconvenient to have to move to another room for the night, but the staff couldn't have been nicer about it, and we were suitably compensated.
Although I would have been quite happy to spend the entire week right in our room, we did also enjoy the beautiful pool with the comfy lounges and frozen towels to cool you off, the terrific Hot Tin Roof restaurant, and the Sunset Pier which is the always fun.
I didn't embarrass myself by crying and gripping the front desk when it was time to leave, but it was close! WE WILL BE BACK!!!

1  Thank Carol B

Thank you so much for writing such an amazing review of Ocean Key Resort. We are so please that the staff was able to accommodate the air conditioner situation! We're glad to hear there were no tears upon departure!

Reviewed 8 June 2011

My husband and I spent three nights at Ocean Key and had a wonderful experience. It was our anniversary, and the staff went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed every moment from check-in to check-out. Our room was lovely and immaculate, the restaurant was great and you can't beat the pool cocktails! Thank you so much, Ocean Key - we will be back!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Ocean Key Resort. We are so pleased that you were able to celebrate your anniversary with us. We always do our best to make our guests stay special. We look forward to seeing you again a return visit!