“Enjoyed our time at Ocean Key Resort”

Ocean Key Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Enjoyed our time at Ocean Key Resort”
Reviewed 28 December 2008

We just got back from our X-Mas vacation at the Ocean Key Resort & Spa. We usually go home to NY for the Holidays but this year my wife and I decided to have some fun instead. If you are looking for a nice hotel with above average service and great rooms in a party town full of drunks and cruise ship tourists this place will suit you fine. We booked through perfect escapes and got a free room upgrade and three free breakfasts at the hotel restaurant.
The room itself was pretty. It was nicely decorated and appointed with a mix of traditional Key West styling and modern amenities. It had a great View; two flat screen TV’s and a great bathroom with a jetted tub and marble everywhere. We had a balcony that looked out over the Gulf and Mallory square where the sunset fair goes on every night.
The pool area of the hotel was also well appointed and decorated. There is a nice view of the gulf from the pool deck and the minimalist key lime accented furniture and towels add to that luxury hotel feel. The poolside bar whips up made to order tropical drinks and food from the hotel restaurant can be ordered as well.
The best thing about this place is the location. It is at 0 Duvall St. You can walk to most anything in the town from there. Sloppy Joes is 2 blocks away. Hogs breath is maybe 50 yards from the hotel. The Mariners museum and ship wreck historium are right outside your door. Greene St. is also a stone’s throw away and you can walk to the wharf.
I thoroughly enjoyed my Christmas holiday in Key West and would recommend staying at Ocean Key for people that are looking for a luxury style resort without breaking the bank.

• Liked — The great view and spacious suite
  • Disliked — No small dogs
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cmmonaco78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 23 December 2008

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at the Ocean Key Resort. We switched our reservation from the Westin a few days before our trip based on reviews we read on TripAdvisor about the construction there and some recent issues with Starwood. We may have had a wonderful stay at the Westin had we gone there, but we were pleased with our decision to stay at the Ocean Key.

The Ocean Key is in an awesome location in Key West. It's right on the water, right beside Mallory Square, and right on Duval Street. You can walk to pretty much everything Key West has to offer. We booked our room through Travelocity, and there was a slight problem with that when we checked in. They didn't have our reservation in their system. Fortunately, I had printed out my Travelocity confirmation since I was charged in full at time of booking (in retrospect, I should have called in advance to confirm my reservation). The front desk person took the printed confirmation and said he would go talk to his manager to sort out the problem. It only took about 10 minutes, and he came back and said everything was taken care of and gave us a complimentary upgrade to an Ocean Front room (we had paid for Old Town view).

I've done a lot of traveling, and this was one of the nicer rooms I've stayed in. We had a great view of the water and could even see the sunset from our balcony. There is a large sitting area with a flat screen tv (no HD but we didn't spend much time in the room watching tv anyway) in addition to the bed area. The bathroom was roomy as well with a large tub and double sinks. One neat thing they do that I haven't seen at other hotels is that they let you choose the time window for getting your room serviced. There are 5 or so time slots during the day that you can choose and you just hang the form on your doorknob before going to bed.

The pool area is nice, though it can be blocked if there is a big cruise ship docked there. You can google the cruise ship schedule to see when ships will be docked there. It is also not that big and can get crowded during the day.

We had a great time in Key West. There are a lot of great restaurants to choose from. We also enjoyed biking around town. It's a very bike-friendly place since there's not a ton of traffic and it's really flat. I would also recommend a sunset sailing cruise.

• Liked — Location, view, room
  • Disliked — No complaints
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank lehardee
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Nearly all of the reviews appear to be discussing the ocean view or upgraded rooms. My wife and I were not upgraded --- we were put in the basic Jr. Suite I reserved. It was dirty, dated and smelled funny. The bed was good. The bathroom was dank and horrible. The sitting area was in 1980s style with a nice flat screen TV. The room as a whole needs a serious update. We really did not care for the used Q-tip on the floor when we entered the room. One definite high point --- the staff was courteous, attentive and helpful. Also, the location is great. I can only assume that you are paying for the location when you book a Jr. Suite. Otherwise, it is not at all worth it.

For the price we paid, we could easily have stayed at any number of nicer hotels on the island. We left after one night and moved to the wonderful Hyatt Key West three blocks away.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trey772
Tampa
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We recently stayed at the Ocean Key and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff is extremely nice and accomodating but the real attraction is the location. Our room overlooked the water and it was beautiful. We didn't have full "sunset" view but it was easy enough to walk about to the pier and watch one of the greatest sunsets you will ever see. The room itself was nice - seperate living area with flat screen tv and the bedroom had another tv. The bathroom was nice and well-appointed with delicious smelling products. The room also had a jacuzzi in the master bedroom (a little strange but hey....). The balcony had comfy furniture as well. Of course the real draw is the proximity to Duval Street....and you are close. There were no noise issues at all but you are certainly close enough to Duval to stumble home after a night out. Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a CVS directly out the front door of the hotel where you can buy water, snacks, etc and save yourself some money from room service or eating out every meal. Overall, we enjoyed our stay...the room was nice, the staff was extremely helpful and the location is prime.

• Liked — Location, staff, rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank RCRGator
New Jersey
Reviewed 28 November 2008

My wife and I had a wonderful stay in this resort. Great service from check-in to check-out. I reserved an Oceanfront Guestroom but upon arrival we were given a complimentary upgrade to an Oceanfront Suite! I was actually hoping for this prior to our arrival because of the number of previous reviewers that also received free upgrades.

We were shown to our room by the bellboy just minutes prior to the sunset. Our view from the balcony was beautiful but slightly obstructed by some palm trees. We were on the fourth floor above the spa.

The room itself is nicely put together. Furnishings are new and the bed was comfortable. Walls are pretty thin as we were able to hear kids laughing next door but they quieted down pretty quickly. Other reviewers have complained about the roosters outside. I did hear them early in the morning (3am ish) but it wasn't loud enough to keep me from falling back asleep. I'm sure that also depends on the location of your room.

We only dined at the resort's Hot Tin Roof for breakfast because it was included in our package. I have a separate review for this but I'll just say the food and service were good. We also had some drinks at the Sunset Pier and enjoyed our time there too.

We didn't have enough time to lounge at the pool but it sure looks nice and relaxing. I saw the staff cleaning the pool every morning from our balcony.

We also took advantage of SpaTerre on their property. My wife and I had a couples massage medley which felt really good. My therapist did a good job of rubbing out some muscle knots. My neck is always very tense and felt great afterward.

A few points to mention. Depending on your room location your view may be obstructed by a cruise ship. This was something I was aware of thanks to previous reviewers. Don't let it ruin your mood though because all the cruise ships leave the same day and chances are if there is a cruise ship the next day it won't be docked at the same spot. Besides if you want to watch the sunset Mallory Square is just around the corner and it's the same view.

Also, if it's windy in Key West it will be especially windy at the resort. Even more so at the Sunset Pier. This actually dissuaded us from eating there on one occasion.

• Liked — Great location, excellent service, beautiful view from the balcony
  • Disliked — A bit pricey but if you get a free upgrade then it ain't too bad!
2 Thank travelbman
Chicago, Il
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We just came home from a wonderful stay at the Ocean Key Resort! It was awesome.... When we got there they gave us a COMPLIMENTARY upgrade!!!! They said that the room was available and they gave it to us. The room was amazing, where do i start...... full kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, jacuzzi, huge front room and dinning room, && Washer & dryer! It was perfect it was everything we needed! The balcony was located right over the pier we could sit outside and hear music. Perfect place to stay, everyone was sooo nice! We highly reccomend this place and would stay there again! Ohh yeh and the pool was great! It overlooked the water and you could swim and watch huge crew ships go by. The bartender at the pool bar was super cool too! I really loved this place!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank emm1204
Colorado
Reviewed 13 November 2008

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in early November. The front desk supervisor who checked us in (Eddie) was excellant, as was the bellman, Ron. Very effecient, friendly and accomodating.

The rooms we had on the 4th floor had good ocean views, overlooking the pool. When we arrived we could not see anything except the cruise ship docked directly in front of the hotel balconies, but it departed on the evening of our arrival. Definitely check to see if there will be a cruise ship docked at the hotel before you pay for an ocean view room.

The rooms were nice, but not fabulous. Our room had a great bathroom, which was very large, had upgraded toiletries and the bathroom was very clean. The remainder of the room was certainly acceptable but we found it moderately appointed. It has the "funky" Key West syle, which is great, but it looks a little tired.

We traveled with another couple. We had one room in between the two rooms each couple had. The people in the room between us had a very loud domestic disturbance on one of the evenings. We did speak to the hotel staff (Catherine) who were very understanding and the staff did address the issue with the other guests and we had no further problems.

The remainder of the staff were not overly engaging or outgoing. We had an issue at check out where both couples were charged for valet parking the same car. When I inquired, the staff seemed to dismiss that this could have occurred until we insisted that they compare the bills, at which time they acknowledged and corrected the mistake.

It was an enjoyable stay but nothing spectacular. The rooms all open to the outside, rather than a hotel hallway and the elevators to get to our room were in the parking garage.

Nothing wrong with this hotel, but if I was going back to Key West I would probably explore other options.

• Liked — Ocean View
  • Disliked — Rooms rather tired, outside entrances to rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends