“Great Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mt. Vernon OH
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 20 June 2008

My wife and I got married 10 years ago in Key West and stayed at a different property. We decided to return to Key West for our 10th anniversary and we booked the Banyan through a time share exchange. When I booked the Banyan we were a little hesitant because of the reviews. We did not have much of a choice though since it was a time share exchange.

When I first walked in the Banyan the staff at the front desk was very polite. They explained the property to me and answered all of my questions.

I walked through the property and I was amazed at the Banyan tree. The landscaping was wonderful and the property seemed very peaceful. As I walked past the pool area to get to my room my first thought was there was not much to the pools but that was ok for me and my wife since we just like to relax during the day hours. As I walked past the Tiki Bar everyone said hi including the renters / owners. The Tiki Bar owner Dave seemed very nice.

I went to our room and the room was very clean and spacious. It was nicely decorated. Through out the week Dave (Tiki Bar Owner) recommended several restaurants to us and all of his recommendations lived up to his hype.

During the day time my wife and would normally lounge around the pool and enjoy some adult drinks. I found the pool to always be clean. The pool is not the biggest in Key West nor is it the most exotic pool in Key West, but I will say its one of the most private pools in Key West. With in an hour we met several people at the pool and enjoyed some great evenings with them.

If you are looking for a private area and an opportunity to meet new people while in Key West, I would highly recommend the Banyan.

If you are looking for a party hotel, with people getting drunk and loud then I would not recommend this property. In my opinion when you are in Key West you party at night and relax during the day. If you share my opinion than visit the Banyan you won’t be disappointed.

• Liked — Relaxation
  • Disliked — Having to leave!!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RMP721

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Ringoes, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 May 2008

Just returned from trip to Key West staying five nights at the Banyan Resort. Location in Old Town is excellent, Kelly's (happy hour) one block north (or is it east?), Parrot Club (great music) three blocks south (or is it west?) and Duval Street is only one block away. While the buildings are old and historical, they are clean and comfortable. The tropical gardens around the two pools and Tiki Hut are beautiful and the Banyan tree itself is just amazing to look at.

The staff is very helpful and courteous; one complaint would be the wireless access. You need to be near the Tiki Hut to pick up the signal, impossible to access in the unit we were in.

While I wouldn't consider it a resort, the Banyan overall is a very nice place to stay and relax and still be close to where the action is.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Internet access
  • Stayed May 2008
new york
Reviewed 28 April 2008

We had a great time in Key West. After reading some of the reviews I was not sure what we would find at the Banyan. We stayed in Sawyer house. When we arrived we were greeted warmly by the staff. Our rooms were nicely furnished and clean. We loved the gardens and the porches in the front and back. Our two adult sons loved the location. After we parked the car it stayed in the lot for the entire time we were there. We were able to walk to everything. We went to Mallory Square for sunset and ate dinner outside on the pier each night. We ate breakfast one morning at the tiki bar and enjoyed the pancakes and fresh fruit. We were sorry we didn't have more time. I had gone into the office several times to ask questions about locations of things and always was treated nicely.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank longislandlady
Louisiana
Reviewed 19 April 2008

Joined friend for a visit. We had heard great thing about the place from people who had stayed there a few years ago. The staff was very unaccomadating and rude. The room was outdated and filthy. The carpet and beds were of the standard of a low price hotel. The caban area for morning coffee and breakfest was filthy and they might as well not even offer it. A waste of money. There seems to be some problem with management and their time share owners. Beware! A standard hotel may be the best option.

• Liked — nice balcony, location okay
  • Disliked — dirty, rude staff
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank allegorygirl
BanyanResort, General Manager at The Banyan Resort, responded to this review, 23 April 2008
I have read your posting and apologize for your less than satisfactory experience. It is very disappointing to read such a review without having ever been contacted about your dissatisfaction. Had I or any member of the Management Team been notified previously, we may have been able to resolve your issues. Please let me know more information so I can more accurately research your complaint. This is definitely not the impression The Banyan Resort would like to leave upon its guests.
Rome, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2008

My wife and I have just returned from spending two weeks at the Bnyan Resort and i have nothing but the best to report about our experence.

When we first arrived a gentelman by the name of Richard Tidd was at the desk and greeted us and answered all of our questions. He gave us our keys and showed us just how to get to our room.

Our apartment was number 508 and it was beautiful. It had three french doors that opened to a porch where my wife and I could sit and look over the pool and Tiki bar area. We had a nice kitchen and dinning area and the living room was good size. The bedroom was a loft with a circle staircase leading up to it. The bed was big and and I had no trouble slepping on it.

The apartment was very clean. We had none of the problems that some of the other reviewer have talked about..

One day my wife was doing the wash and the dryer was not working as it should and the head of maintenance, a man by the name of Keven, told my wife to just give him the wash and they would dry it in the housekeeping dryers. When the clothes were done housekeeping brought them up to our apt. all folded. You can't ask for anything beter than that.

Everyday my wife would lay by the pool. They have two pools at the Banyan, one is for aults and children and the other is just for adults. We did not have any children with us but my wife would spend time at that pool. Most times no children were ther but when they were all the children were very well behaved.

The Tiki Bar is open everyday from 8AM until 4PM. A gentleman by the name of David runs it. He makes a terrific breakfast. The lunches are just as good. The beer and drinks are always strong and cold. You get so relaxed you just don't want to go outside the Banyan property.

At night my wife and I would want to go out to eat. David at the bar was always will to give us a review of the different resturants in town and stear us to the best one for what we wanted to eat that night. He was always happy to call for our reservation at the time we wanted. The nice part of that was that David new the best tables and would ask that we be seated at that table.

In the 14 days we spent at the Banyan Resort everyone was as nice as they could be to my wife and I.

I know that we will go back again and again. If anyone is looking for a nice place to stay in the hart of Old town Key West you won't find any place as nice for the cost.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wellman
Chesterfield, Michigan
Reviewed 17 March 2008

My husband and I stayed at this resort for 4 days. We enjoyed this property so much. It is very quite with alot of nature in the middle of happening Key West. There is everything you need right around the corner we walked to Starbucks every morning...the hotel did offer coffee pool side and coffee pots in the rooms however, we enjoy Starbucks had to do it! Kellie's Bar is a couple of Doors down which has great food!! The front desk made our stay they were very nice and welcoming. I would say that it is not updated but I found it very clean. We stayed in the "tree house" awesome one bedroom condo...lots of stairs not recommended for someone who can not do stairs or someone who has a TON of luggage. The deck on the tree house was huge with 2 lounge chairs and a table with four chairs. Give this place a chance it has alot of history and very quite!!!

• Liked — The trees around the property and the location of the property so close yet it seemed so far
  • Disliked — Rooms needed to be updated slightly
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank jabjcb
Michigan
Reviewed 13 March 2008

Nice setting in Old Key West, All the action is just outside your door but very peaceful on the grounds and in your room. Two quiet swimming pools, nice historic building and lots of shade. One block away from all the fun. Great place to stay.

Stayed February 2008