“The cottage was like having your own place in Key West!”

Merlin Guest House Key West
Ranked #34 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 September 2006

The staff was very helpful, extremely knowledgeable and well-spoken. The cottage is like a home away from home since it was oringally converted for the property's owner to live in. If you can stay in the cottage, you get a private parking spot which is tough to beat in Key West! Worse case scenario, you can find a free space nearby and leave your car there during your whole stay because everything is within walking distance of this hotel.

There is a private street entrance, security cameras, the front porch even boasts a swing. The complimentary shampoos and body wash are designer brand and the location is right in the middle of a pristine family neighborhood. You're also around the corner from the off-the-beaten-path, highly rated, Seven Fish Restaurant. Our continental breakfast was rained out but that didn't stop most people from stopping by and getting on the sunbathing chairs as soon as the rain stopped. But in the cottage there is no need to go outside for food, it comes equipped with a full kitchen, huge fridge, glass cups, silverware, pots and pans, microwave, coffee maker. The pots and pans even hang from a decorative rack. Every decoration in fact, has character and was obviously picked with much consideration. You'll even love the beautiful detail on the wood dresser you put your clothes away in. It's a dream. I would recommend this to everyone! And I have...my parents will be reserving shortly.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank ladyspryte

Reviewed 14 August 2006

We stayed at the Merlin Guesthouse the last week in June 06 while celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary on our first trip to Key West. We were thrilled to find that they had upgraded us to a suite for our anniversary.

From the moment we arrived, everything was perfect. The staff was awesome and the suite was incredible. Nice and private, perfect for a romantic get away. We had a fridge and coffee maker and comfy furniture, tho we weren't there too much to enjoy it! A huge canopy bed and more than adequate air conditioning in every room which was good because is was hot, hot, hot there in June!

The courtyard and pool were beautiful and we enjoyed a swim each morning when we went down for breakfast.

The location was probably the best part of all. An easy walk to everything, from one end of the island to another.

And then of course there was Jordan the Cat! We bought a package of cat treats the first day and had a new best friend for the rest of the week who loved to get a drink out of the bathroom faucet.

Our trip to wonderful, thanks in large part to the guesthouse. We'll definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2006

I just returned from my trip to key west last night. My dad, sister, and best friend also went. We choose the merlin guesthouse because every review was good and is was very cheap. We stayed in the 2 bedroom cottage. I was expecting a mini-fridge and microwave and the bathroom sink but the kitchen was FULL SIZEd, and equiped with silverware, plates,...utensils...everything. There was a dining room and family room and both rooms completly furnished. Both bedrooms were great except ours didnt have enough light. The air conditioner worked great, which made my dad very happy and as a result i was freezing most nights. Everything was so relaxed and everynigth my friend and i went swimming even though the pool closes at 10. as long as you're quiet they dont care. The continental breakfast was just peachy for what it was. The only problem we had was that when we arrived they tryed to charge us 285 instead of 255 because apperently we had more than 2 people in one room. They were trying to tell us that the whole cottage is one room....bull crap. moving on.....Key west is a great place to relax and party and the guesthouse is a short walk from anything but far enough away to be quiet.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank danielle89170
A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 6 July 2006

This place is awesome. My boyfriend and I went over the 4th of July weekend. The rooms are very cute and private (we had a queen room in the back by the hammac). Breakfast is served by the pool with classical music. Everyone staying there was friendly (Our neighbors were lots of fun). The location is great-right by Duval Street! The staff was also very friendly and be sure to ask about the free parking!

If you are looking for something to do, I highly recommend going on the Fury adventure. You get: a free booze cruise at sunset on day 1. The next day you get to parasail, snorkel, jet ski, jump on a water trampoline, kayak, drink more, and you get free dinner and breakfast. It's only $129 per person and it was so much fun (see pics).

Oh, and get a scooter rental right by the hotel at Moped Hospital-by far the best and funnest way to get around town!

I've been reading other reviews and some of the stuff said is true-yes, the walls are kinda thin. That's not an issue for me when I'm drinking in the Keys, but may be for some. Also, the pool is kinda small, but it's Key West and that's how pools tend to be there. Basically, this hotel is great if you are laid back. If you are a complainer, you'll probably find something wrong with this place and every other place in Key West.

• Stayed: July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 July 2006

I spent a long time researching somewhere to stay for my 2 nights in Key West, and eventually booked the Merlin Guesthouse. We had a huge room at the back, away from the street noise, not that I heard anything anyway, and we experienced no problems with neighbour noise either, though, I can sleep through almost anything so it takes a lot to disturb me! In fact I was amazed how quite and quaint it was when the hustle and buzz of Duval street is just a block away. The ONLY downside was the parking issue, we had to drive around for an hour to find somewhere that wasn't residents only parking, and the staff member who checked us in wasn't very helpful on this point. But after a few beers this was soon forgotten!
I have very happy memories of my time in Key West, particularly the sunsets which are just amazing. And I would still rather have stayed where we did than miles out at a "standard hotel" with a car park on site.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 May 2006

I stayed only 1 night, but it was enough to convince me to stay there again in the future. It's only 2 blocks north of Duval and centrally located to everything. The pool/garden area is quite nice with a great water feature and lots of plants and places to sit around the pool. The pool is small but well appointed with a small jacuzzi area with good strong jets. They let me check-in early which is rare in key west. My room was facing the street, which other reviews said can be quiet loud, but I didn't notice. If you do Key West properly you're tired enough at the end of the night to sleep through anything ha ha! The room was HUGE with elevated ceilings and the bathroom was large and spotless, with high quality complimentary toiletries I was happy to take with me. The queen bed was quite comfy but the room could use a couple more lights as it seemed a bit dim at night. The walls are a bit thin so I coould hear the tv in the neighbors room, which could be a problem if the neighbors got noisy doing other things...but fortunately I didn't have to hear that. The pool was a wonderful and relaxing environment in which to relax after iId been jet-skiing all morning, so much so i didn't want to leave for my snorkel trip! The breakfast wasn't what I think of when I think of a B&B. To me a B&B should have a real, hot, cooked breakfast and this was a cont. breakfast like what you get at the Holiday Inn with cold cereal, bagels, muffins, juice, etc. But the environment was inviting enough that I could overlook it easily b/c the grounds are so nice and they had cheese danishes, so I can forgive anything for a cheese danish ha ha! I could not locate an individual AC control unit in the room and it appeared to be central air, which could be a problem if you like your room cooler than they keep it, but the ceiling fan worked well for me.

Best part was they provided me with free parking on Petronia St. bordering the property, which is very rare in Key West, where you usually have to park in a pay lot and lug your things back and forth from the car to the B&B and back. The free street parking was a BIG plus for me as I had a lot of diving gear I couldn't leave in the car and didn't relish toting 8 blocks from the public parking garage. I would definitely stay at the Merlin again, no question. For $130 a night it was an excellent deal for Key West for the nice environment provided.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank Gambitgirl
Reviewed 6 April 2006

I have stayed at the Merlin twice, and had a wonderful experience both times.

We were fortunate to have rooms in the back for both visits, so did not have the street noise issue (but the walls are thin and we did get quite an earful from the people next door).

The first time we visited we tayed in a king room, which was very spacious and had a mini-fridge. For our second visit we stayed in a queen room, which was much smaller, but who goes away on vacation to spend the entire time in the hotel? We were hardly ever in the room, so it was worth it to save a few bucks and downsize.

Rooms in the back are really nice because there is a private porch area and a hammock.

Breakfast is ok, but what do people expect from a free continental breakfast? When in Key West, you should be eating breakfast at Blue Heaven or Pepe's anyway!

We plan on returning to Key West in the future, and the Merlin will always be our first choice!

• Stayed: January 2005