“Okay stay”

Best Western Key Ambassador Resort Inn
Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 14 April 2011

When the Comfort Inn's "non-smoking room" we reserved had been smoked in (not acceptable to me because of allergies) - we changed hotels and stayed one night at the Best Western Hibiscus and the next night at the Key Ambassador (because of non-availability the 2nd night at the Hibiscus). I think that the Key Ambassador is overpriced (and we actually preferred the less expensive Hibiscus.) Our ocean-view room at the Ambassador was clean enough and comfortable enough though, and came with a microwave, frig, and had a sliding glass door and outdoor seating area. There is a good bike/walking area across the street that runs alongside the water - you just have to cross a very busy road to get to it. Overall for us, the price didn't fit - even for Key West. If I visit Key West again for any reason, I would first try to find a room at the Hibiscus. If money is not a factor for you, then the Key Ambassador is a good choice as well. Best of all - both Best Westerns are 100% non-smoking!

Room Tip: Ask if there is a Manager's Special
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,921)

Reviewed 6 April 2011

This hotel would have to be the worst hotel at Key West, it is dirty and definitely not what was expected. We arrived went in to check in and walked right out. We then had to cancel those reservations and find another place to stay...

3  Thank LAM1168
keyambassador01, General Manager at Best Western Key Ambassador Resort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2011

Dear Guest,
We strive to do our best to meet every guest needs and to ensure the quality of our hotel to the highest standards. However, I am not sure of the exact issues of your overall experience, since you did not actually stay at our resort or use our amenities. It is true that first appearances can make the biggest impression. We at the hotel feel we can only improve if our guest notifies us where improvement is needed and how we can make it better. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly; we welcome another chance to make your stay the best it can be.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

Our room was spacious and comfortable. It is in a relaxing part of town - quite safe - and there is a nice walking path right across the street. The breakfast was nice, also. The drawbacks are 1) it is at the end of the airport runway so the jet engines were loud at times, and 2) it is at the opposite end of the island from the action. You have to drive to get to anything. Overall, it was pretty good. The price was right and we would stay there again.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

My vacation were perfect until I head out to this hotel. Personal are not friendly, they don't care about their guests. When I arrived, I asked where I could rent a bicycle and they told me they could take care of that for me. Nice I first thought. But the guy who bring the bike was not really cool, and the bike was so old, no brakes, no light for riding during the evening (where all other rental bikes had lights, so be warn).

The hotel is right next to the hotel so you don't need a wake up call....

The pool and bar are closed at 7 PM where the Hyatt next to this one is open until really late. You don't even have access to the pool area to relax once closed.

Otherwise, hotel is clean, rooms are big.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank daviaue
Reviewed 2 April 2011

We just got done staying at the Best Western Key Ambassador. They had great hostipality at the tiki bar (food was good), the front desk helped tremendously, rooms were large and clean. The pool was beautiful and warm and the facilities that are around the pool were beautifully done. The free breakfast in the morning is a little off the beaten path but provided great service which included someone making waffles for you to somewhat of a large selection of foods. Very close to the airport, which you did hear airplanes going by at times during the day. Get a room on the lower floor - you won't hear them as much. The air conditioner had a rattle in it but it didn't bother us to much. It is away from Duval street so we rented a moped (sorry spelling), which in my opinion is the only I would travel for one or two people. Duval street has very limited parking but if you travell by moped you can park anywher and for three days it only cost us $4 for gas - worked out deal with guy and got 3 days for $140 (cash), it was at hotel in less than 10 minutes. Got room for $180 a night - little expensive but then again I am not used to going to hotels outside of the midwest. Great for families!

Room Tip: Lower level - Harbor view is cheaper - OK
Reviewed 1 April 2011

After taking my 77 year old father on a 7 day cruise I rented a car in fort lauderdale and we drove down to key west. I have visited the keys several times over the years and wanted to stay in key west this time. I booked the best western because of the reviews and price and was not disappointed. It was everything they advertised and then some.
Some of the reviews I had read complained about the airplanes flying over. If you don't like planes this may be an issue. I observed approx. 20 - 25 planes a day and 80% small to mid size prop planes. I did nt hear any planes after 8 OR 9PM. The only other issue I could see was the location to town, but I did see the trolley stop in front of the office about every 30 min.. We stood at the pool and waived on the live web cam to everyone back home in the snow. The complex was very clean and very well maintained. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed near the pool and had a screened in porch. I've taken the time to do a review on any hotel before this one, so that should say it all.

Room Tip: stay in a pool view room its worth the money.
  • Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 31 March 2011

We stood at this hotel for 7 nights 8 day, and can't wait to go back. The hotel was beautiful and the view was AMAZING! The staff was more than helpful and very pleasant at all times. When we asked for a late check out there was not even a question asked the answer was yes! This hotel is perfect for a couple looking for an escape or a family that does not want to share their stay with many teenagers there on spring break! Overall I would have to say that we had such a pleasant trip that we are already booking to go back next year. Thank you to the staff for making our trip so pleasant!

Room Tip: room 234 or 235 AMAZING VIEW w/balcony