“all the way for Robert the doll...”

Fort East Martello Museum
Ranked #54 of 180 things to do in Key West
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I'm into hauntings and the one thing I needed to do before I left Key West was to make a visit to Robert the doll. After reading all the stories I finally got to see it. The doll was very creepy and looking at the gift shop I didn't realize he had such a large fan base. The doll is kept in a glass case and behind it is a wall full of letters addressed to Robert, apologizing for taking a picture without asking for permission. I ended up buying a book of haunted Key West and got talking with the staff. The staff was very friendly and knowledgable. I especially loved hearing their experiences with the doll. Must stop in if you like ghost stories, etc!

2  Thank Jess P

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We went here on one of our bike riding outings, and we're glad we did. This is really a cool place, and with the AAA discount was only $6 pp. Some neat history items and very strange artwork. Also some really odd stories that you need to be sure to take the time to read (particularly about the wacko doctor who mummified the girl he obsessed over). The stories about Robert the doll are pretty freaky too. Be sure to ask the lady up front about his history so you'll understand.

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

On the way out of KW my husband and I stopped. He wanted to see Robert and surprised there was a bit more to it. It is a smaller fort but it has some unique things in it including a small gallery. One building has a spiral staircase to go to the roof. That was not worth the climb for me. My husband really enjoyed seeing Robert, me on the other hand, well...I don't mess with stuff that are beyond me and not ment to be messed with.. Just saying! Make sure if you visit, take your time and make sure to follow Roberts rules.

Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We took a ghost tour the evening before and were suitably frighted being in the closed fort at night. Eerily lit and beautiful, we wanted to see it in the daytime so we went the following day. We were greeted by a very enthusiastic KWAH docent who explained the lay out out of the fort and them allowed us to walk through at out leisure. Fascinating history of Key West from early Indians to modern day Cuban rafts. Word of Warning: Robert the Doll has visiting ruled Know Them. They apply day or night.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

This interesting museum offers an eclectic collection of information and artifacts to cover the civil war, native Americans, Key West in the 1850's, pioneer wreckers, convent history, Robert the doll (creepy), funerals, the undying love of Karl Tanzler (really creepy), commerce, sponging, transportation, cigar factory and Cuban immigration. It also houses the needlepoint tapestries of Jack Baron (1926-2005), the metal art sculptures of Stanley Papio (1914-1982) who was also a welder in the US Army WWII and a wonderful collection of art work depicting the Cuban community in Gato's village. It is quite an extensive collection and quite interesting. The museum building and the square martello in the center of the courtyard are both in unusually good shape, due to a good restoration program. This museum is a Key West treasure!