The Grand Guesthouse
US$403
  • Beachfront
US$286
  • Restaurant
Best Western Hibiscus Motel(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$256
US$244
US$280
US$258
Travelocity
Eden House(Key West)(Great Value!)
US$342
US$332
US$248
US$216
US$362
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunset Key Cottages(Key West)
US$1,147
  • Pool
All reviewsb bhighly recommend the grandduval streetprivate patioguest housecontinental breakfastyogurtrental bikesoff the beaten pathother guestsold townthe property managerquiet neighborhoodcuban restaurantwithin walking distanceroom was spotlessenglish muffins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This is the second time we stayed here. We love this place. One mile away from Duval, a nice walk. We never used our car the whole time we were there. The room was spotless. The breakfast is very good. They have a good selection to pick from. Eggs bagels English muffins sweets yogurt fruit and other things I can't remember. They also have the best manager ever. Derek is so helpful and so nice. He's the best!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank 2soxfans
Reviewed 20 January 2013

My husband and I stayed for three nights in the Room 2 that was tiny, but had a lovely private patio that made us feel very privileged. The bathroom was larger than I would expected, given how small the room was (no closet) and having a small refrigerator for our leftovers was convenient. The enclosed garden/patio area is beautiful and very restful, with comfortable chaises and a hammock. The hosts were very helpful and friendly. They pointed us to a sandal store (Kino's) and restaurant (Roof Top Cafe) that we would not have known about (and that I've reviewed elsewhere). I also learned from our hosts about the ferry to the Dry Tortugas (Fort Jefferson) that really made our short vacation very memorable. Around the corner is an excellent Cuban restaurant (another recommendation), El Siboney, that was justifiably crowded. I also appreciated the fact that this B&B was far from the craziness of Duval Street, making it that much more restful. The Internet connection is frustratingly slow and inconsistent.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2013

we spent one night at this bed and breakfast and had an excellent time. the staff were very helpful and the breakfast was excellent. it was close to the main attractions and far enough away from the noise to have a great sleep.we will go back if in the area again.

Room Tip: our room was in the front of the building and others were in the back. they all seamed to be okay and every room had their own private entery.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TaffyUke
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We were at the Grand Guesthouse for four nights. When I stay at B&Bs, I realize I'm often giving up the creature comforts of hotel chains. The anticipated trade-off is charm. In previous experiences, this has translated into a scrumptious home-made breakfast, a musical afternoon tea, avuncular hosts, or even an amazing garden to walk around in.

The Grand lacked basic amenities (e.g., no coffee in the room - we had to get packets from the manager, who didn't arrive until 8:30am - so no coffee the first morning or the last because the manager had left early the previous evening), the onsite manager was around as little as possible, internet access was so spotty I gave up trying to look for restaurants or activities online, housekeeping as minimalistic as possible - though there was an envelope "suggesting" $5 per day for housekeeping and another laminated sheet of paper "suggesting" between $3-$6 per day. It also was quite lacking in charm. The bed and pillows were lumpy, the threadbare linens came with threats of surcharges if we got "tattoos" that stained them (though I guess I learned something about tattoos I had not known before!). My husband and I kidded about how frequently they replenished their stock of breakfast pastries - we had far better breakfasts - in freshness and selection - at the two Hampton Inns we stayed at immediately before and after our stay at the Grand. When my husband, who had booked that part of the trip, told me how much we were paying - I was just aghast. Not at all a good value!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SMM16
TheGrandGuesthouse, Owner at The Grand Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

We are indeed disappointed that this reviewer did not enjoy her stay at The Grand. As with all guests, we strive to provide the best possible Key West experience. Unfortunately, this guest was angry from the get go because they had called the day before their arrival to attempt to shorten their reservation by one day, which had been booked online through a third party. Because they were staying over the Christmas holiday, this was not possible on such short notice.

In addition, her husband had booked a room with one queen bed for two people.
Upon arrival it was revealed that they had also brought their 9 year old daughter (we allow children 12 years old and older) with a sleeping bag for her to sleep on the floor of their room.( I do wonder what charming bed and breakfast they have stayed at in the past which would allow their daughter to sleep on the floor, but we do not allow any of our guests to sleep on the floor.) Fortunately, we had upgraded them in advance to one of our 300 sq.ft.suites, rather than the queen room they had booked.

Even though we do not allow children under the age of 12 here at The Grand, we made an exception to our policy, we gave them a discount off our normal fee for a 3rd person, and they received a complimentary upgrade - saving them $200 in total. As one of the less expensive bed and breakfasts on the island, discounts of this nature are rarely given, especially over one of the busiest holidays of the year.

As part of the experience we provide, as indicated by the overwhelming majority of our reviews here on Tripadvisor, we pride ourselves on our customer service (like providing the free upgrade to this guest). As to her specific complaints, we offer the following:

Our mattresses are $1000 Sealy Posturpedic mattresses, which are just over one year old.

Housekeeping is provided on a daily basis. This service includes changing out used towels as needed, vacuuming, remaking the bed, cleaning of the toilet, sink and bathtub, and cleaning the kitchen area. It's not clear what other services this guest expected, but certainly this is beyond "minimalistic." Our attention to cleanliness has earned us the "White Glove Award" for 6 years in a row from Superior Small Lodging.

As an island bed and breakfast, our property and amenities reflect such. Our lush tropical gardens receive daily accolades, and are an integral element in our green initiative - earning us state certification as a Florida Green Lodge. We also offer bicycle rentals, beach towels, beach chairs & umbrellas, picnic mats, and a breakfast NOT served on doilies in grandma's stuffy dining room, but rather outside on a quiet patio where guests enjoy our warm Florida weather.

Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed for nearly a week and had a wonderful experience. Our rooms were just far enough from the road to be quiet and perfectly private. Our hosts were very helpful and enthusiastic about making sure we had a good experience. The grounds are extremely well-maintained, and the rooms are well-stocked and very clean.

• Stayed: November 2012