“Will be back again.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Will be back again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at the Grand Guesthouse in June 2013, parked right in front of the B&B, parking is first come first serve so this worked out great. We were greeted by Derek who offered us a drink after our long drive down. He provided us with a map and answered all of our questions and gave us all the local insight to the best local restaurants and places to go and see. Fast walk to Duval street and we enjoyed the sunsets at Mallory Square and the local festivities.We rented bikes and pretty much hit the entire island. Hoggs Beach is just a short walk or bike ride away from the B&B, nice local beach and had a chance to watch all the roosters and chickens walking around.

We felt like we were the only guests even though they were fully booked. The only time we saw other guests was at breakfast time in the courtyard. If you are looking for a lot of action this may not be the place for you. We wanted a quiet place to stay, not a super fancy overpriced hotel with tons of people. This Grand Guesthouse offered a local flavor and laid back atmosphere which is exactly what we wanted. The continential breakfast was spot on, just enough for us and we were full and ready for the day.

We booked the queen suite down stairs and it was very clean, nice size bathroom and more than enough room for both of us. The room had everything we needed, microwave, frig and plates and utencils etc. Ice machne was right near our room, never can get too much ice. They offer a great value and it had everything that we needed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Florida941

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

I enjoy reading the very few neg reviews of this place. They are comedic at best with very little value. If you were born into royalty and bathe in 24k gold extract on a daily basis than this place might not be for you...possibly. Actually 90 percent of the b&b's in the world let alone KW may not suffice. After staying here recently I am glad to share our experience. Rooms were clean ac was perfect and kitchen was a nice bonus. We enjoyed eating our leftovers in one night. The breakfast was perfect. If you want a farm fresh breakfast with omelettes grits French toast pancakes than just go to a restaurant around the corner. For us tho this continental breakfast was perfect start to the day. Derek is knowledgeable about the area and made good food suggestions and hooked us up with beach chairs and an umbrella for the beach so we didn't have to rent. The chairs were a little crappy to be honest but I enjoyed not paying 20+ bucks for rentals. We alwys got a parking spot in the driveway which was nice. Bottom line me and my wife really liked this place, felt right at home. Was a 10 min walk to duval so good location also. If you stay here and post a neg review than you probably should have just paid twice as much and stayed elsewhere. This place was a fair price and you got much more than your money worth.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank JaxJaxson
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed at The Grand Guesthouse July 19-21, 2013 in room #7. I love this place! A nice out-of-the-way location but just minutes from Duval St., beaches and everything else. The room was very spacious, very clean and I loved the Key West-Caribbean decor. The property is lovely. There is a nice patio/deck on the side with a hammock, lounge chairs & tables. The continental breakfast was more that I had expected. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I was told I had the largest room (#7). I wasn't aware of this when I booked it so that was a n...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
North Tonawanda, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed in Room #1. I stayed one night though I paid for two. There was a large gap on top of the room door leading to the outside through which one could see a bit more than daylight. The tiny room had a dirty red carpet, a brown and orange fern bedspread, pink walls, a small wall A/C, and junktique lamps and tables. The bathroom had a brown floor, an acrylic shower, pedestal sink, etc. it was clean but not inviting. The queen bed was hard and stiff. The only window was covered with a plastic opaque sheet of plastic.I couldn't wait to get out of this place. The breakfast was " continental" served outside. The breads were low quality store-bought, a couple of oranges and very ripe bananas up for grabs, hard boiled eggs, coffee, cereal. I've done a lot of traveling and stayed in some wonderful B&B's. This was the worst experience. If you want to refund my money, you should have my info on file. CS

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Carol S
Jim B, Owner at The Grand Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Wow it's amazing how different people's perceptions can be! The review posted before this one was from a family who stayed with us the nights immediately before this reviewer's stay. They occupied the room this reviewer references.We believe their review more closely reflects the experience of the vast majority of our guests.
The window in this room has frosted glass and can be opened. It is not a plastic sheet. Our mattresses are Sealy Posturepedic mattresses, which most of our guests enjoy. Our bed linens are 400 thread count . I'm sorry if she did not appreciate our decor. The room she occupied is pictured on our website where she booked. Seems like she could have made that judgement before her arrival.
Our continental breakfast is described in detail on our website. Had this guest wanted a more complete prepared breakfast I'm sure one of the 2 or 3 local bed and breakfast providing this service at twice the cost of her stay with us could have accommodated her.
Unfortunately this guest was in Key West during record setting rains, which we are quite sure tainted her whole trip. We're sorry she chose to leave one day early without ever voicing her concerns (or checking out).
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed in the 2 rooms at the front of the house (husband and I in one, our two teenage daughters in the other). Our rooms were lovely and we had a very nice welcome from Derek, the concierge who even offered us each a glass of chilled white wine (just what you need after 4 hours slogging down the Keys). He took great pains to explain where the sights were and we were able to rent bikes from the guesthouse which is the best way to get round Key West. Even if you go bit wrong and get a bit lost in the grid road layout system, it only adds to the adventure. Bailey the black labrador was on duty outside some days so we felt really safe :-). I really enjoyed just sitting on the deck outside in the evenings (with an appropriate beverage, of course!). I would go back in a flash if I could.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep in I would recommend not taking the front rooms, as the guesthouse office was i...
Green Features: I was really impressed how the Grand made every effort to encourage "Going Green" - with suggestions everywhere for how guests could help to save energy.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
South Pasadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Spent a long weekend in Key West for a family wedding. Stayed at the Grand Guesthouse and felt like visiting at a friend's home. The patio was our favorite place to hang out and relax. We played cards, had dinner and cocktails and just enjoyed the tropical surroundings. Our room was just large enough to be comfy, but small enough we didn't linger there too long. The location was quiet and peaceful without being too remote. Would love to return!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

This place is a gem! Beautiful, lush outdoor area, comfy backyard (they even have a hammock!!) and cosy room for a bargain price!!
We stayed here for three nights only and had a great time. We booked room number 2 which is a bit small but perfect for couples. I mean, who wants to stay in their room anyway?? It had a big, comfy bed, a little refrigerator, a very nice bathroom and flatscreen tv. The aircon was easily adjusted with a remote. But the best part of the room was the private patio! With two big chairs and a round table this place was great for enjoying a nice breakfast in the morning and a cold beer in the evening. And by private I mean that no other guests will even walk past the patio because the room is situated in the far back of the property.

The breakfast was simple and nice. Fresh fruit, a variety of bagels and sweet pastries, cream cheese, butter, jellies and hard boiled eggs. Coffee, tea, milk and orange juice. What more can you ask for?

We arrived in the evening and they had arranged for a late check-in. No worries here, we were greeted by an envelope which told us where to find our room, where to park (like, 50 metres from the entrance because the 6 parking spots directly infront of the house was taken), how to use the wifi and other important stuff. They even gave us a map of the area and hat dotted in the best places to eat. We loved it!

The daily manager was so friendly and welcoming the next day, he helped us with booking a sailing trip and gave good advice on where to go, what to see and where to eat.

All in all, this was a wonderful experience and I will definitely come back to this wonderful little haven in Key West.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple