“I enjoyed staying at The Grand Guesthouse . . .”

The Grand Guesthouse
Ranked #19 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, TX
“I enjoyed staying at The Grand Guesthouse . . .”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

. . . because it was clean, convenient, and affordable compared to some other places. Situated near the intersection of Truman and Grinnell, I found The Grand Guesthouse easily as I arrived in Key West after dark. Of course, it probably helped that I had gone to Google street view and familiarized myself with the location. Parking is tight in front of the house, but there is plenty of parking in designated spots a half block in either direction.

I thought the continental breakfast was sufficient. There were pastries and breads, a toaster to heat them, fruit, yogurt, a selection of cereals, and many condiments. I also liked that the house has filtered water, and they also had orange juice and milk in the mornings. The coffee served was delicious. There is a Denny's on the corner of Truman and Duval if you want to get up and head out early.

My room was nice with a comfortable double bed, TV, a ceiling fan, and a really spacious bathroom. The glass shelf in the room was very loose and I was scared it might fall out and shatter so I didn't use it. There was a decent blow dryer. The water pressure in the shower was not that great, but there was plenty of hot water. The window unit air conditioner never went off, no matter how high I turned it up, and the noise was a little tiresome. Everything was clean and nicely decorated.

The front desk guy was very helpful. If no one is at the desk, you can call them from the phone they leave sitting there and get in touch right away. I felt safe even walking back to the neighborhood from Duval late at night. It's about a 15-minute walk from Duval and Truman.

I would probably rather stay a place that has a pool and hot tub, but I felt like this place was a good deal compared to many others. I enjoyed meeting other guests in the morning where breakfast is served.

Room Tip: My room was in the front. The rooms in the back were probably a bit quieter. The upstairs rooms were...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed here for the whole ten days of Fan Fest 2011 and loved it. I had a great stay and the management honored all my requests immediately. Another tidbit is that half a block away is a good local bar/liquor store (Truman & Grinell) that has all the sports on TV. If your team is still in the World Series Run during Fan Fest you might want to watch it there. The Duval bars were so packed you couldn't get a seat or a spot at the bar during the World Series Games in 2011. The bar (Don's Place) is owned by former Buffalonians and hosts the Bills fans for the Bills games.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SaltyDude
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I have stayed at the Grand a couple of times now and it will always be my first choice when visiting Key West. As others have stated, the Grand is off the beaten path, but still in Old Town and in acceptable walking distance to Duval Street. The area is mostly residential, so you can get a good night’s sleep, unlike most places closer to or on Duval. Derrick and the owners remembered me when I walked in the door even though it had been a couple of years since I stayed there. They always make you feel like you are their most important guest. The rooms are very clean and nicely furnished and decorated. The beds are comfortable, so getting a good rest is easy! A continental breakfast is served every morning and has plenty of muffins, bagels, yogurt, and some fresh fruit. Cold juices and good, hot coffee are there to help get your blood flowing too! I think the rates are very reasonable for Key West, and the service just can’t be beat! I can’t wait to return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TallyTom
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I absolutely LOVE this place and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Key West. It just a mile from all the action on Duval so we did all our travel on bicycle. We came from Orlando so we brought our own bicycles but if you can't bring your own, they have very nice bicycles available to rent. We stood in room 4 and it was perfect for our long weekend in the Keys. Comfortable Bed, mini frig,clean bathroom and clean good quality linens. Oh and did I mention you own private entrance. The continental breakfast is goodand if you are a coffee snob like I am, you will approve of there coffee (maybe not important to most but a big deal for me and my husband).I give them the highest rating and will not stay anywhere else when I go back. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We booked this hotel using the extensive TA reviews which have been done. My wife and I snuck down to Key West as a last minute trip before school starts next week.

First the good things....

It is centrally located in Old Key West. We walked everywhere we went during the three days we were there. We went to Duval Street, Truman Little White House, Sunset Pier and Higgs Beach.

Derek is a very nice and extremely charming host. When you check in he does NOT just take your money, give you a key and say, "See ya later." Derek takes about 25-30 minutes to get to know you and what you want to do while you are in town. He suggested several things to see, places to eat and other things to do.

The room was not as advertised. On the confirmation we were told it was a 9x9 room with a bathroom. It was in fact about 12x9 and the Bathroom was very nice, with shower and everything. The bed was very comfortable and we were in room 4.

Now, here is the proviso --- According to Google Maps, it is 1.6 miles to the Sunset Pier or about a 45 minute walk for us. It is 1.6 miles to Fort Zachary Taylor Beach AND they charge 2.50 I think it was for walkers to go in. We did not pay.

So, we ended up walking about six miles a day while we were there as we would go down in the morning and back in the afternoon for a nap then back down at night.

The Guest House does keep bicycles for rent and there are numrous bike and scooter rentals. Parking is at a premium in Key West with places charging as much as 15-20 dollars for the day and scooter rentals for about 35 a day.

Also, this is a Guest House, not a Bed and Breakfast, please do not confuse them. The breakfast is very continental with a variety of pastries from the local store. Bagles, small packaged muffins, and so on. There were also some bananas and oranges and yogurt again from the local store. That was all. To be fair, as we wondered around we did look at the local B&B's and a couple were basically offering the same for breakfast.

The other thing is breakfast is not served until 8:30 in the morning, a little late for those of us who like to be up and out early. For those of us trying to cut back on processed sugar, yogurt with 38 grams or over an ounce of sugar is not going to cut it. My wife could not eat any of the breakfast as nothing on the table was fresh, it all came out of a box. We paid 138 dollars a nite for the room and when people pay that much, it would be nice if your muffin came warm from a local bakery or maybe cut up a melon or two.

One morning we did not get out until almost 11 and by then it was HOT.

The coffee was excellent and you do have access to an ice machine.

Overall, we liked our stay, but the blisters on my feet tell me we will be looking for a place closer to Duval next time with a breakfast we can eat.

Room Tip: Let Derek know what you want to do and he will assist you any way he can.
Green Features: This hotel practices recycling and conservation. You can ask for them to forgoe the daily cleaning so you can help conserve water and energy.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravellingAZTeacher
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at the Grand Guesthouse in June 2013, parked right in front of the B&B, parking is first come first serve so this worked out great. We were greeted by Derek who offered us a drink after our long drive down. He provided us with a map and answered all of our questions and gave us all the local insight to the best local restaurants and places to go and see. Fast walk to Duval street and we enjoyed the sunsets at Mallory Square and the local festivities.We rented bikes and pretty much hit the entire island. Hoggs Beach is just a short walk or bike ride away from the B&B, nice local beach and had a chance to watch all the roosters and chickens walking around.

We felt like we were the only guests even though they were fully booked. The only time we saw other guests was at breakfast time in the courtyard. If you are looking for a lot of action this may not be the place for you. We wanted a quiet place to stay, not a super fancy overpriced hotel with tons of people. This Grand Guesthouse offered a local flavor and laid back atmosphere which is exactly what we wanted. The continential breakfast was spot on, just enough for us and we were full and ready for the day.

We booked the queen suite down stairs and it was very clean, nice size bathroom and more than enough room for both of us. The room had everything we needed, microwave, frig and plates and utencils etc. Ice machne was right near our room, never can get too much ice. They offer a great value and it had everything that we needed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Florida941
NY
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

I enjoy reading the very few neg reviews of this place. They are comedic at best with very little value. If you were born into royalty and bathe in 24k gold extract on a daily basis than this place might not be for you...possibly. Actually 90 percent of the b&b's in the world let alone KW may not suffice. After staying here recently I am glad to share our experience. Rooms were clean ac was perfect and kitchen was a nice bonus. We enjoyed eating our leftovers in one night. The breakfast was perfect. If you want a farm fresh breakfast with omelettes grits French toast pancakes than just go to a restaurant around the corner. For us tho this continental breakfast was perfect start to the day. Derek is knowledgeable about the area and made good food suggestions and hooked us up with beach chairs and an umbrella for the beach so we didn't have to rent. The chairs were a little crappy to be honest but I enjoyed not paying 20+ bucks for rentals. We alwys got a parking spot in the driveway which was nice. Bottom line me and my wife really liked this place, felt right at home. Was a 10 min walk to duval so good location also. If you stay here and post a neg review than you probably should have just paid twice as much and stayed elsewhere. This place was a fair price and you got much more than your money worth.

• Stayed July 2013