“Felt right at home”

The Grand Guesthouse
Ranked #18 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I'm glad I chose the Grand Guesthouse for my first overnight stay in Key West. It's a very well-run operation with all the amenities I needed -- a clean, comfortable, well-appointed room with a great shower; a decent well-presented continental breakfast; helpful staff (thanks, Mark and Derek!); bike rentals on site (a great convenience); a quiet street in a nice neighborhood; centrally located for getting around on foot or bike; and clear, printed information provided on the inn's policies and on Key West itself. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if I ever come back.

That said, it did seem odd to me to have the mattress placed on top of a plywood board, but I can't complain about the comfort -- I slept well. I also thought it odd to have an envelope on the table that suggested how much of a tip I should leave for the maid, but I got over it after seeing how clean the room was the first night and every day thereafter (I stayed four nights). Overall, this is a class operation that I believe most travelers to Key West would enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank David M

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Fabulous guesthouse set in a lovely surroundings. Derek (manager) was great & really helpful. We had room no. 4 which was directly onto side garden & where continental breakfast is served each morning from 8:30 - 10. We hired bikes direct from the guesthouse also.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rfra386401l
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed three nights, the room was perfect, bed comfy as slept great every night, nice selection for breakfast, one could hire bicycles from them too which we did for two days and was fun cycling about exploring Key West. We would certainly use The Grand Guesthouse again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is great little inn! This was our first visit to Key West so I cannot directly compare to other inns. This is the great stuff: The room was spotless. The maid service in the middle of the day kept everything neat. We spent five nights in a "deluxe queen suite" with a queen bed in a small bedroom and a separate sitting room with a sofa, dorm refrig, microwave, sink, table, dishes. We really appreciated the extra space. The bath was small but adequate. The room had a private entrance from the patio that was also serving space for breakfast. The price seemed to be little more reasonable compared to others in the area. The WiFi connection was great.
The good stuff includes: The continental breakfast was good for me because I was on a diet and could eat the fruit, grains, and yogurt and not be tempted by a delicious hot breakfast. The location was good because it is about 0.5 miles from the loud Duvall St crowd and the walk was good for my diet/excercise program. However if you have walking issues... The helpful owners/staff were always available in the day and very accomadating. They did not stay on property at night and I had no problem with that. However if you have issues at night...
The room for improvement stuff includes: The bed was a mattress on top of a plywood box. No box spring or bed frame. It was not very comfortable. The sofa was also not very comfortable for long periods. In general the room was bit spartan compared to other B&Bs that tend to be furnished and decorated nicer.
We had a wonderful visit and this is great little inn! It is just not grand.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KenC_Knoxville_TN
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My first trip to Key west, and wanted to stay somewhere off Duval Street. Between TripAdvisor and the DK Travel Guide, I selected the Grand GuestHouse. I enjoyed the various room types available, and scheduling was a breeze. Infact when I reserved my room, I received a phone call to clarify what room I wanted (someone had just cancelled a different room, and they wanted to be certain I had exactly what I wanted). Easy to find in Key West, and an AWESOME location. Nothing to very far away in Key West, but the Grand's location is almost centered in Old Town. Easy walk or even easier bike ride to anywhere you're likely to go. Derek was amazing! You just don;t get people that excited working a hotel front desk unless they are passionate about what they do and where they do it. We asked for a restaurant recommendation, and got a fabulous one (Caroline's rocked!), and also a early coffee suggestion too. Derek scored both times. I see some reviews are downgrading the continental breakfast, but let's get real folks: Do you really expect a custom omelette from a 14 room B&B? And besides, you should be so full from last night's dinner that all you really want is coffee, fruit and a bagel. I don't know if I can convince my wife to go back to Key West, but if we do, we shall stay at the Grand! Thanks Derek!

Room Tip: Almost all rooms have a step or two to enter them. If that doesn't work for you, ask about the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aaron N
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to the Keys so we relied heavily on Trip Advisor as accommodation is very expensive. The choice of the Grand Guest House room 8 was good. A nice quiet location but easy walking distance to the main areas, our visit started with a fab greeting from Derek- along with two chilled beers. First impressions of the room were also great, as others have said, spacious, light and nice and cool.

Breakfast is continental and very well done. Plenty of choice, very smart and shaded decking area to sit and eat in. Overall a superb choice and we highly recommend.

Our only slight downside is the bed. It's a very very firm mattress and not too comfortable for if you stay more than one night but that's the only let down. However, don't let that put you off. In an expensive area we'd choose this place again.

Derek also provides a cool list of restaurants that are recommended. You simply must try Better than Sex!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nomadion
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Enjoyed another great visit to Key West and stay at The Grand Guesthouse. Really like the location tucked away in a residential neighborhood and nicely hidden from the street, 10-15 minutes easy walking distance to Duval Street. Wonderful staff are available when you need them, good continental breakfast with super coffee, rooms are very clean and well-equipped. On a previous visit we had a "regular" size room which was a bit tight. This time we lucked out with #8, much better with lots of room to spread out. Thanks again Derek and Maria for taking good care of us!

Room Tip: It was available and worth the extra money for room #8, quite a bit more space than some of the othe...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple