“Our stay was enjoyable!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Heron House

Heron House
Ranked #55 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
South Daytona, Florida
“Our stay was enjoyable!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Heron House was a very convenient location to all the happenings in the Duval Street area. Our room by the pool was lovely with a few minor issues. We agree with many of the other comments people have made however we spend very little time in our room.

Biggest drawback-no parking-it's find your own space or lot. We spent quite a lot of money for 4 days of parking.

I have never been to a hotel that doesn't address you by name arriving and leaving. The staff was not friendly. When leaving we were not even asked how we enjoyed our stay.

Our tv remote was not working. The safe activation was off. All of those things should have been checked prior to guests arriving. The sheets in one of the beds had holes in them, a real turn off. The hotels had stains from make up on them, again a real turn off The pool grout definitely needed a good cleaning. It is an old piece of property and we realize it is hard to maintain however if you expect top dollar, clean it up.

The continental breakfast was outside in a lovely covered area. It was adequate. For a great breakfast go to SARABETH's a few steps away.

We would probably find a different hotel or B & B next time. We still had a wonderful time despite the shortcomings.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I would definitely stay here again and recommend to my friends. My mother and I stayed in room 2 which was just the right size for us. Everything was very clean, complimentary breakfast was fresh, and the gates made it feel very safe. The 18+ policy ensured no loud children playing to disturb anyone. Super close to Duval Street, Mallory Square and the harbour. Absolutely everything we were looking for in our Key West experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

Bests: Roman, the innkeeper, was helpful, charming, and accommodating!
Location was good, in old town
Worsts: room 8 was too small!
Details need updating- frayed towels, threadbare bed linens, noisy air conditioner (which they did quickly work on which lowered the noise considerably!)
Bathroom way too small and not updated at all- drippy faucet kept the light sleeper awake
Good: basic breakfast was nice to have, but after a day or two (we stayed 4 nights), you will want to visit one of Key Wests's lovely breakfast/coffee places instead of eating toasted breads, jelly, cereal, and coffee/oj.
Nice to have a pool and hot tub, but both were approx same temp!
Parking is tough- if you find a good spot - not one labeled "Residents"!!!!- stay there. Rent a bike - Roman will hook you up, & they will deliver bike to you within minutes! Bikes are the only way to go here!

All in all, if I go back to Key West, I probably won't stay here again, but it was a very islandy experience and not bad. I'd stay in a more spacious room though for sure if I did!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

We arrived just before they 'closed' which is 7pm...we had a reservation so it would have been great if they could have called us to confirm we were coming as it was not communicated that they would 'close'.... Upon arrival it was as if we were a burden. The staff was not exactly nice or welcoming. We did find the room to be clean and spacious. This is also a terrific location in Key West!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lexington, Ky.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Location was super. Room was ok but smelled musty. Complained to the maid and she sprayed and left Febreeze. Breakfast was the same all week, OK, but not out of the ordinary.Beautiful landscaping. Over all a good stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

On first entering our "Junior Suite" (darky, dingy room with sofa and stained cushions) we were knocked back by the smell of damp / mildew. There is no central air in the hotel - the units were so loud it was almost impossible to sleep.

Breakfast was lame. Chewy croissants and hard boiled eggs that looked like they had been recycled several mornings.

Of the three days we stayed, there was no hot water for two.

The pool was tired and had mildew in the grout cracks.

The staff were unfriendly, never greeted us and made every effort to avoid eye contact.

The [only] good thing about this hotel is its location. It's easy to be somewhere else. And I would recommend you spend as much time as possible somewhere else.

1 Thank DrLivingstone41
Commack
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

The place was very charming. The rooms were nicely designed and decorated. The staff seemed to be very helpful. At least the first 24 hours we were there. My wife loved the wine and cheese before we went out for the night. We have been to Key West multiple times and always stay at the Hyatt. I was talked into staying at the heron house. At first I was very pleasantly surprised. Until about 4am the second night there. I felt myself scratching and itching like an animal while I was asleep. I woke up and found both my wife and I were covered in love making bed bugs. I'll stop there. If it wasn't for that night and the eggs I had trying to hatch under my skin for the next 2 weeks, the place would have been fine. Whether this was a one time incident, it was our last visit to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple