“Private”

Ranked #11 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
west palm beach,Florida
“Private”
Reviewed 15 August 2009

My husband and I had a great time at the bed and breakfast Tropical Inn. Everyone is very nice and very helpful. We would recomend this to everyone of our family members and friends. We will stay there again next year and loved the cottage we where in was excellent and very private. The breakfast was terrific. Looking forward to going again next year. Also recomend staying in the pineapple cottage its great. Kim and Julio

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Land O Lakes, FL
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We've stayed at several B&Bs in Key West, but once we found the Tropical Inn, we were sold! We LOVE it!! Such great accomodations, GORGEOUS garden pool area, great location and very friendly owners/staff. We'll be back again for sure.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2009

The Tropical Inn is a lovely old home directly on Duval street - with approximate equal walking distance between Mallory Square and the Southernmost Point. The location is what one pays for when staying here. The exorbitant price paid should have provided us with more than just a typical nondescript continental breakfast, which did not even include Decaf coffee. The grounds behind the Inn were lovely and there was a fair sized swimming pool and a wonderful hot tub. The room was comfortable, but access to free wi-fi internet was spotty, at best. To gain access to the internet, I would have to exit my room to the back porch, log on, then return to my room and hope that I could remain online throughout my internet session. The bathroom was in need of updating, and the shower did not stay at an even temperature. Temperatures varied greatly between the main bedroom and the small room attached. The Tropical Inn pricing is too high for the amenities and services offered and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Kindergirl145
TropicalInnOwner, Owner at Tropical Inn, responded to this review, 4 August 2009
My first inclination was not to respond to this review. After all, "good value" is relative. However, I could not help but notice that this guest's only other review (point of reference?) was an airport Holiday Inn, which she booked through one of those wholesale clearing houses. Surely she should not have expected an upscale B&B in a premier location in a high-demand market to offer a comparable price point.

While she does give us credit for our finer points (location, clean, comfortable accommodations, great garden and amenities) -- in the interest of clarifying things for prospective guests -- I take exception to her description of the breakfast as "typical nondescript continental". While it is not a restaurant offering, cooked to order from a menu, ours is a bountiful breakfast buffet, featuring fresh fruits, eggs, cheeses, meats, and one of our signature hot dishes, which vary from day to day. In her quest for decaf coffee (which is available upon request), she seems to have overlooked the fabulous quiche, mango baked French toast, apple-stuffed pancakes, or other delicious offering that not only have other reviewers mentioned, but her own traveling companions enjoyed and remarked upon.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I travel to Key West fairly often and have stayed in many different B&Bs and hotels. The Tropical Inn exceeded my expectations in many ways, from accommodating my last minute reservation to the tranquility of the inn.

The garden was lovely and the pool very well kept. I had a room upstairs in the main house -- it was small and cozy, and very comfortable. I absolutely loved it and will request it every time I travel to the Keys. The bathroom is small -- similar to the showers in many European inns. That was not a concern for me, but if your vacation is not complete without a whirlpool tub, this isn't the room for you. (I believe some rooms do have jacuzzi tubs. Be sure to ask if it's important to you.) Otherwise, the inn is quiet, pleasant and the front balcony is a great place to people watch all the doings on this end of Duval Street.

Excellent location. (Just down the block from 801 Bourbon). Close to shops, restaurants (have the edamame and the Key Lime pie at Mangoes and anything at Blue Heaven, which are both within a few blocks).

I was in the front of the house so there was a little street noise (but after living in Boston and New York that doesn't bother me). The rooms farther back probably had no noise at all. When I was at the pool, I rarely heard anything besides the gentle sound of the waterfall. In any event, the street noise dies down by 11 and I slept well both nights.

Service was friendly and efficient and I felt like I was a welcome guest in someone's home. I wish I could have stayed longer and hope they have a room available when I make my next trip to Key West. Recommended highly.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 29 July 2009

The Tropical Inn is nestled mid-block along Duval Street in the heart of the tourist part of Key West. You'd never know you were in such a busy spot from the moment you pass through the office and into this little slice of paradise. The rooms on the back of the B&B are quiet, private, convenient to a lush tropical patio, swimming pool, and hot tub, and quite comfortable. There are little private spaces created by foliage, potted palms, and the discrete placement of chairs, tables, and loungers. In the mid-summer heat and humidity, retreating to the pool area was a welcome respite from a day of sightseeing. The Tropical Inn is a hidden treasure that we highly recommend.

West Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed 27 July 2009

My wife and I planned to visit Key West for our 1 yr anniversary. Wanting to be the man I did all the booking and was excited when we found a room available for the weekend. Unfortunately I booked it for the Wednesday before (durh). Feeling quite inadequate I presesnted the situation to the staff and they accommodated us with another upgraded (slightly more expensive) room. I was mad more at myself that I could have screwed up something that bad, but when I saw the room I was quick to forgive me. It was beautiful from the outdoor jacuzzi to the indoor flat screen TV. Beautiful and quaint. You would have never known it sat right on loud Duval Street. Breakfast was delicious and I met the resident cats. I would highly recommend Tropical Inn to anyone visiting Key West. Thanks for being so hospitable.

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2009

Note: This will be a a long review because I truly did have one of the best experiences I've had on a vacation while staying at the Tropical Inn.

We were on the last leg of a whirlwind trip around Florida (1200+ miles!), culminating with four days in Key West. We'd planned to stay with a different B&B, but that place had double booked the room we were promised. In our last minute search for a suitable replacement, we checked several locations and happened to notice the Tropical Inn as we drove down Duval Street.

When we walked in (right after a big down pour), we were just hoping to find something nice. We weren't expecting anything special since this was a last minute booking. Well, let me tell you, we definitely found a really, really nice bed and breakfast and it was even NICER than were we would have ended up.

Jane and Allen met us inside and told us what they had available. They were extremely nice and accommodating. We looked at the rooms that were available and decided really quickly that we would stay there.

What we didn't know at the time was just how peaceful and serene it would be for us. The house was always quiet, and the backyard area with the pool and hot tub were just incredible. The rooms were made up each day, the air conditioning was just right, and it really did feel just like being at home for us.

Breakfast in the morning went well beyond a continental breakfast, and eating out back amongst the tropical plants and (sometimes) crowing roosters was a delight. The pool has a waterfall that creates a nice atmosphere while you eat.

The pool and hot tub were well maintained and clean. There were very little traffic in both of those for most of our stay. If you go, please take the time to go down to the pool and hot tub at night. It's incredible looking up at the Key West sky through a canopy of palm trees, seeing stars, and if you're lucky, seeing an offshore storm light up the sky with lightning from time to time.

I could go on, but there are enough good reviews for this place that you get the picture. While this was our first time in Key West, it most certainly will not be our last. We'll be back at the Tropical Inn the next time we visit.

1 Thank tbravo22