“Tropical Inn is a secret garden steps from all the action”
Review of Tropical Inn

Tropical Inn
Ranked #12 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
St. Augustine
“Tropical Inn is a secret garden steps from all the action”
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Although located right on Duval within walking distance of the marinas, great shopping, fine dining, fun gathering spots, when you step through the front doors of the Inn you are in a quiet private retreat. Lush surroundings create a peaceful pool and spa area that feel miles away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds. Private bungalows offer even more privacy and luxury. The owners are friendly and accomodating and offer great tips for any activity you may be interested in during your stay. Can't say enough!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
New Jersey
Reviewed 18 August 2009

The Tropical Inn was a beautiful place to stay. The garden and pool area were just outside french doors from our room. We sat out there to have coffee and breakfast in the morning. The pool was a very relaxing place to be. Then when we were ready, we just strolled down the block to hit the party set. I highly recommend it.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The Tropical Inn in Key West is a beautiful property! You feel so relaxed...like you are really on vacation! The location is just great too! Jane, Allen and Brandi will do whatever it takes to make your stay most enjoyable!

I have already told everyone I know about the wonderful stay at Tropical Inn!

Thanks again Jane, Allen and Brandi for making our wedding/honeymoon most enjoyable! Ramon and I hope to see you again in November!

west palm beach,Florida
Reviewed 15 August 2009

My husband and I had a great time at the bed and breakfast Tropical Inn. Everyone is very nice and very helpful. We would recomend this to everyone of our family members and friends. We will stay there again next year and loved the cottage we where in was excellent and very private. The breakfast was terrific. Looking forward to going again next year. Also recomend staying in the pineapple cottage its great. Kim and Julio

Land O Lakes, FL
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We've stayed at several B&Bs in Key West, but once we found the Tropical Inn, we were sold! We LOVE it!! Such great accomodations, GORGEOUS garden pool area, great location and very friendly owners/staff. We'll be back again for sure.

Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2009

The Tropical Inn is a lovely old home directly on Duval street - with approximate equal walking distance between Mallory Square and the Southernmost Point. The location is what one pays for when staying here. The exorbitant price paid should have provided us with more than just a typical nondescript continental breakfast, which did not even include Decaf coffee. The grounds behind the Inn were lovely and there was a fair sized swimming pool and a wonderful hot tub. The room was comfortable, but access to free wi-fi internet was spotty, at best. To gain access to the internet, I would have to exit my room to the back porch, log on, then return to my room and hope that I could remain online throughout my internet session. The bathroom was in need of updating, and the shower did not stay at an even temperature. Temperatures varied greatly between the main bedroom and the small room attached. The Tropical Inn pricing is too high for the amenities and services offered and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Kindergirl145
TropicalInnOwner, Owner at Tropical Inn, responded to this review, 4 August 2009
My first inclination was not to respond to this review. After all, "good value" is relative. However, I could not help but notice that this guest's only other review (point of reference?) was an airport Holiday Inn, which she booked through one of those wholesale clearing houses. Surely she should not have expected an upscale B&B in a premier location in a high-demand market to offer a comparable price point.

While she does give us credit for our finer points (location, clean, comfortable accommodations, great garden and amenities) -- in the interest of clarifying things for prospective guests -- I take exception to her description of the breakfast as "typical nondescript continental". While it is not a restaurant offering, cooked to order from a menu, ours is a bountiful breakfast buffet, featuring fresh fruits, eggs, cheeses, meats, and one of our signature hot dishes, which vary from day to day. In her quest for decaf coffee (which is available upon request), she seems to have overlooked the fabulous quiche, mango baked French toast, apple-stuffed pancakes, or other delicious offering that not only have other reviewers mentioned, but her own traveling companions enjoyed and remarked upon.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I travel to Key West fairly often and have stayed in many different B&Bs and hotels. The Tropical Inn exceeded my expectations in many ways, from accommodating my last minute reservation to the tranquility of the inn.

The garden was lovely and the pool very well kept. I had a room upstairs in the main house -- it was small and cozy, and very comfortable. I absolutely loved it and will request it every time I travel to the Keys. The bathroom is small -- similar to the showers in many European inns. That was not a concern for me, but if your vacation is not complete without a whirlpool tub, this isn't the room for you. (I believe some rooms do have jacuzzi tubs. Be sure to ask if it's important to you.) Otherwise, the inn is quiet, pleasant and the front balcony is a great place to people watch all the doings on this end of Duval Street.

Excellent location. (Just down the block from 801 Bourbon). Close to shops, restaurants (have the edamame and the Key Lime pie at Mangoes and anything at Blue Heaven, which are both within a few blocks).

I was in the front of the house so there was a little street noise (but after living in Boston and New York that doesn't bother me). The rooms farther back probably had no noise at all. When I was at the pool, I rarely heard anything besides the gentle sound of the waterfall. In any event, the street noise dies down by 11 and I slept well both nights.

Service was friendly and efficient and I felt like I was a welcome guest in someone's home. I wish I could have stayed longer and hope they have a room available when I make my next trip to Key West. Recommended highly.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business