“One big boat”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“One big boat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Diving a ship like this is much more interesting than most of the wrecks I've seen. They did a great job making this interesting and safe for divers. Less experienced divers can still enjoy the super structure at 45-60 ft.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank STLSooner

KWtripper
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The best Wreck in the Southern Keys”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

The ship is so massive that it allows multiple dives. It is also well structured so that multiple level dives are easy to complete.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank KWtripper
Key West, Florida
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Adult haunted house.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

This wreck rocks. With enough swim through and cut outs to make it very safe for divers. You know you are going to penetrate the wreck even though you were told not to.
Just scary enough to make you safe and just dangerous enough to make it exciting.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank John P
Charlotte, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“It's a big wreck...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

If you can get on the wreck w/o poor visibility and nasty current, I've been diving for 20+ years w/ >4K dives. The Vandenburg can be amazing... On a good day.
My experience has been great about 30% of the time. The other 70% usually involves 3+ kt current and 20-30' visibility. Personally, I'd rather hit Key Largo and the Grove/Bibb/Duane - at least if the diving is nasty at any of those sites there are still places that have some pretty blue water nearby to go.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Lawrence C
Charlotte, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Not much to see on my two dives”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I have been diving since 1973 and made have made hundreds of wreck dives over those 40 years and had heard a lot of good things about the Vandenberg dive site and since it was my first trip to Key West I figured this was a "must see" location. While we were lucky that the current was not strong on either of our dives, the visibility was poor and other than a few barracudas and the large wreck itself, there was nothing to see. No turtles, no eels, no rays, no sharks and no large fish. Not exactly an underwater photographers dream site. The crew from Captain's Corner dive shop were professional and very helpful (especially Henry). Nitrox is available but make sure you tell them you want to dive Nitrox when you make your reservation. There were a group of folks diving Nitrox out with us who must have serious air consumption issues because they wound up back on the boat well before the two of us diving on air.

A few warnings for anyone planning to fly to Key West and dive in the future. #1, make sure you have a pair of gloves with you. The ropes leading down to the deck of the wreck are covered with small barnacles and my hands are still sore a week later. No major issues but I feel like I have a hundred paper cuts which is very annoying and could have been easily avoided if someone had warned me about bringing my gloves. #2, if you are flying direct to Key West be aware that the airlines will not let you check but one bag per person (due to the very short runway and weight limit issues I was told) so I had to leave my dive bag in the truck of my car in the Charlotte airport. It would have been notice if Delta told me this when I made my reservations so I could have FedEx'ed my dive bag to the Marriott in advance of my arrival. I was able to take my Atomic regulator, mask and Cobalt dive computer, and my Sea Life camera gear on as carryon luggage but everything else got left behind (including unfortunately my dive gloves). Overall a disappointing experience for me on the Vandenberg (due in no fault to our fine crew from Captain’s Corner).

Visited August 2013