“GOOD ENOUGH TO BE GREAT” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Navy Lodge Key West

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Navy Lodge Key West
Gulf Shores, Alabama
“GOOD ENOUGH TO BE GREAT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

big time bargain for Key West.
Great location for water sports since it's close to Sigsbee Marina (boat rentals, boat ramp etc)
NEX nearby for your shopping needs at a price to beat all the tourist traps in town.
the only negative will be that this is NOT within walking distance of downtown Key West.

A big positive is that these are pet friendly.

Make reservations early since I'd guess these and the Coronado Navy Lodges are the most difficult to get a room due to their popularity.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank ericjbabin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

You obviously need to be military (active or retired) to stay here and if you are, what a great option!! Great value (we paid $79 a night for a room with two queens) and location--this island is small folks...everything is a 10 min trip away or less. It quiet, clean, right across the street from the commissary and exchange and if you want to buy tickets for various attractions, the ITT office is also around the corner! Im pretty picky about a motel being clean..anyone who knows me, knows this place is good-to-go if I'm ok with it (lol)! We were able to lock down a room for 4 nights 2 days before arrival so although the lodge is small, it's worth a shot if you try to get a room last minute. Otherwise, I would suggest booking in advance as possible due to the size of this lodge and the incredible value. This place is a gem and my folks (Dad's retired Navy) already plan on making their way down!

• Stayed June 2013
8 Thank S B
GM-NLKW, General Manager at Navy Lodge Key West, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
It is our pleasure and prilage to provide you with the best service we possibly can. You mentioned retired and active military, but DOD civilians can also benefit from our services. Thank you for your review, we look forward to seeing you (and or your father) in the futire.
Stewartsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

If you want affordable place to stay and your active or retire military... This is the place. It's a small lodge, but rooms are affordable, clean and beds are comfortable!!!. And staff if very friendly and helpful. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: You can look on line to check out the rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cindy118
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Your basic base hotel. Call 60 days in advance to book your dates. Rooms are nice and clean. ITT, Commissary and Exchange all next door to the lodge. Downtown Key West is about a 10 minute drive away.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Akba
GM-NLKW, General Manager at Navy Lodge Key West, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Thank you for your review. We look forward to serving you again should you return to Our little slice of paradise.
Coventry, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Note: This property is restricted for use by active duty and retired military and DOD (Check for specifics).
My wife and I discovered Key West in the mid-80's while I attended a specialized Navy conference and we have returned every year since. We have stayed at a cross section of better hotels all over Key West and have rented multi-bedroom houses to accommodate friends and family. About five years ago, a retired National Guard Adjutant General chided me for never checking out the Navy Lodge at Sigbee Point. He shamed me into it and we have never looked back. Thanks General, it's the only way to go; especially now that the Navy Lodge has installed a reliable and free Internet access that had been my nemesis from our very first visit.
About five years ago, the Lodge underwent a major "refreshment" and thanks to a terrific staff, they have kept the place almost like new. The rooms are located on two floors (downside - no elevator) but are roomy and squeaky clean with one or two beds, flat screen TV,a comfy chair, a work/dining table and chairs and two very large dressers. An adjacent kitchenette includes an apartment sized fridge, a two-burner electric cooktop, stainless sink, a good sized microwave, a coffeepot and loads of kitchen cabinets and drawers fully equipped with pots, pans, silverware, glassware and dishes for four. Daily housekeeping service is also included.
Sigbee is primarily a military housing, dependent's school and recreation area (with a huge RV Park) and as such is protected by Navy security personnel who take their job very seriously (100% ID checks, strict speed enforcement). Although it's a hike to Old Town (a rental car is a necessity), Sigbee is extremely quiet in comparison to almost every place in Key West where the incessant, high pitched drone of chainsaw-engine motor bikes and scooters will drive you nuts (even at the high end hotels).
A word of caution: rooms book up quickly during the high season, so plan on reserving a room at the sixty day mark (the earliest date you can make them) or risk loosing out.
If you want the action and high energy level of Old Town Key West, this is not the place to stay. But for $99.00 a night, you can't find a better rate on the entire Island....and the folks are just plain nice. Do it!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
17 Thank skipmays
GM-NLKW, General Manager at Navy Lodge Key West, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
WOW! Captain, thank you so much for taking the time to tell folks about our facility. I am sure your comments will give many the information they need to make the best choice for lodging in Key West. We so enjoyed serving you and look forward to seeing you again.
Ringwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed at the Navy Lodge at Sigsbee and we thought is was very good. I would have liked better info upon check in or even reservations that they would lend guests beach chairs, provide towels and beach buckets. So often getting any info was like pulling teeth. At Sigbee there is a NEX and Commissary as well as ITT/MWR within walking. Other lodging options include a Navy Hotel "Fly Navy" at Trumbo as well as trailers and townhomes. You can no question walk to downtown/old seaport from here. At this location there is a mini-mart and pool. Another option is Navy Gateway (?) At Truman Annex also walkable to town. If all you want to do is go to the beach this is a good choice. The Truman Annex Beach is very rocky - you must have shoes to cover your feet. You could also go to Ft. Zachary Taylor State Park which is the next beach. There is a fee for this. TIP! If you are a Disabled Vet you can get into any Florida State Park free! The next time we visit KW we will try to get a townhome.

Room Tip: This base is deadsville. No traffic. Just hope you are not next to a bunch of barking dogs as we w...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Mary M
GM-NLKW, General Manager at Navy Lodge Key West, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
I appreciate your review. I am concerned that you feel You had to "pull teeth" as you put it to get information from the staff. Our award winning team take great pride in providing excellent customer service. Our check-in procedures include nearly 5 minutes with each guest providing directions, maps, and recommendations of things to do and places to eat. Each room has an information book that does include what items we have at the front desk, such as beach towels and chairs. If you would write me offline at navylodge.keywest@nexweb.org and give me more information as to where we fell short I would greatly appreciate it.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I can not say enough good things about the Navy Lodge on Sigsbee! It really is a hidden gem!

Before my trip I searched for hours to try to figure out a place to stay. I was going to stay at the Travel Lodge because I wanted a full kitchen but for my 6 night, 5 day trip it would have cost me close to $1300.00. So I called the Navy Lodge. For the same trip I paid $80 a night equaling $480.00.

My room was 215, and it came complete with a full kitchen (Everything down to pots and measuring cups, with a full sized fridge), a really comfy bed, and a sparkling clean bathroom. Base was super quiet and relaxing and it was in a good location to either drive down to Duval or head to other keys.

I rented a car and flew into Miami because I was told the drive was beautiful and it is. I recommend everyone makes the drive at least once. We went on the Freedom II to the Dry Tortugas National Park and did the Ultimate Adventure with Fury which I highly recommend. There is a restaurant right off base called The Stoned Crab which is good. You are also right next to grocery stores and even a post office. On base you have the Sunset Lounge right behind you and the NEX and Commissary right across from you. Gas as always was cheaper on base. P.S. do not speed on base!

Room service was fabulous and kept our room clean daily. The people at the check in desk are a wealth of information. There is a soda and snack machine in the Lodge as well as a laundromat. You get a free bagged breakfast which includes bottled water, yogurt and a granola bar. There is free coffee all day too.

There is a deck outside for a smoke shack and a hammock with two charcoal grills. Parking is a breeze.

The only down side I can think of is that there is no elevator, so my very heavy bag had to be lugged by me. But all in all I really can not complain about anything.

I will most certainly save money again and stay here!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
18 Thank dvldlphn32
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have an award winning staff that pride themselves in customer service. Your positive comments are appreciated. Hopefully we will see you again should you come back to beautiful Key West.