“you get what you pay for (barely)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Key West NAS - Fly Navy
Ranked #44 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
“you get what you pay for (barely)”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I booked this hotel to visit my huband who is stationed in Key West. He told me it was basic but close to his location and I was ok with basic but I upgraded to a suite for $30 more just to make it a little more special when he had leave. What they don't tell you is that when you book you may be at one of three different locations, one not even located on Key West but on Boca Chica the island before Key West 8 miles away. So when I checked into Fly Navy they gave me very vague instructions on how to get to my suite. Well once I started driving and realized how far I would be I called back and asked if I could just book a regular room at the Fly Navy so that I would still be on the island. They were very pleasant and told me to go ahead and come back. So I came back and checked into a queen room on the 3rd floor. The front desk clerks were all very nice and even though I was a little early (2pm) for check in they let me go to my room. I brought my luggage to my room and immediately could hear the baby crying 4 doors down from my room and doors up and down the hall slamming shut. The walls here are paper thin and those awful hotel doors that slam shut everytime (who invented these???). I texted my husband to please bring earplugs with him.
Since I had a while to wait until my husband was released for the weekend I decided to take a shower and get ready for dinner that night. I attempted to turn on the faucet but nothing came out. I then tried the shower and the same. I figured maybe someone had shut the water off so I tried both valves under the sink with no success. I called downstairs and asked if I needed to do anything special to get the water on and they said they were just finishing working on the plumbing and to give it some time. So I waited until 3pm and tried again this time with success. But the water was coming out brown and with a lot of silt and muck settling in the sink and tub surface. I decided to let it run for a while to clean the pipes. After doing this intermittently for an hour (I hate to waste water) there was still no change and I was starting to panic. I asked the front desk what to do and they told me to let it run. I again waited until 5pm with no change in water clarity and by this time I had called around to find another place to stay in case this did not change. Welp, you guessed it. Nothing changed and I knew I had to leave before the screaming baby down the hall and the dirty water ruined my weekend with my hubby. The front desk was kind enough to offer me another room but I was already as cranky as the hall baby so I told them no thank you and they refunded me my money.
The service from the front desk was very pleasant and I was treated very kindly however, I think I would save my money and splurge on the B&B in the heart of Key West instead.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Mrshare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We (6 adults) stayed for a week in early May. We stayed in a 3 bedroom townhouse. I am an Airforce brat so it brought me back to my years living in base housing! All the basics, right there in Key West. Three people in our group had Military ID (You need someone w. a Military ID to get back on the base. The rest of us showed our Drivers Licence ) My daughter and BF walked down to Duval St one evening and our townhouse was a minute walk to the gate so they called when they got to the gate and one of the Military ID people just walked over and vouched them back on, very easy! Unless you are a "walker" driving to Duval is easier, it took my 23 yo daughter about 20 minutes and her feet hurt on the way back since she had on her cute sandals. Cabs are also a very easy choice. For $130 ($110 for 4, and $10 per additional adult a night) for 3 beds, 2 baths, full kitchen (pots&pans, full size fridge, dishwasher and stove, toaster, coffee maker, blender, plates, cups, silverware, and a small charcoal grill) it was worth having to drive to our adventures in Key West There is a screened in back porch area that we ate all our "eat in" meals, we made several meals in to save money .All beds are made up and towels were supplied,easy to exchange during hours posted, we brought our own shampoos and soaps (there is a hotel size bottle in bathroom but w. bring you own. There is also dish soap and dishwasher tabs in kitchen We took a trip to the commissary and BX about 15 minutes way to get our supplies for the week and we saved even more! So if you are ok with a clean but dated basic home base for a Key West vaca this is definitely worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Carrolnsteve
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed in trailor #9 on Trumbo Point NAS. Our stay was excellent, the trailor met our needs. We were able to walk to Duval Street in 15 minutes. Checking in was very simple. The support staff was great. The law enforcement team at the gate was very professional and helpful. You will feel really safe. We visited Sigsbee NAS station to use the NEX and commissary, there were no long lines. We also used the ITT ticket services on Sigsbee and saved alot of money on tickets needed for the chartered fishing services and the sunset catamaran trip.

Room Tip: The trailors are a bit more private than the townhouses.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mkharr4
Torrance, California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Fly Navy Gateway Inn is located at Trumbo Point on base. Drivers must have a current pass/decal on their vehicle and all passengers must have an ID. Guards will stop you and ask. Guards seemed more strict than other military bases we've visited. Good to know.

The rooms are typical Gateway Inn quality. Nothing fancy. We had 2 different rooms both on 2nd floor. A one-bedroom suite with fold-out couch in the living room for the kids. Tiny kitchen, but served the purpose. Flat screen in living room and one in the bedroom. There was a major plumbing issue down the hall from us next to the room my daughter stayed in. The fumes/odors were unbearable. Staff fixed the problem within 24 hours. FREE laundry facilities available on several different floors. Level M has more washer/dryers for use and Vending machines available too. A small Mini-Mart across the parking lot. The in-lobby restaurant behind the elevators was closed all 5 days we stayed so no comment. Overall Fly Navy is a great bargain for Key West lodging.

NOTE: Swimming pool is on the base but its a bit of a trek from the lobby. It is down the street past the guard station closer to the base housing literally behind a few trees. It is NOT behind the Gateway Inn next to the tennis courts. Don't make the same mistake we did wasting time walking back there near the inlet water hoping to find the pool. BRING CASH and Military ID to get in the pool. Active Duty/Dependents with ID $1 per person. Civilians $2 per person. Very clean pool/showers, few small slides, rock climbing. Lifeguards on duty. No diving board. No towels available. Bring your own.

Duval Street (shopping/bars/restaurants): approximately a mile or so away from Trumbo Point. Parking is nonexistent on and near Duval Street unless you pay to park ($15-$20 some places) or drive around in circles hoping to get lucky. Ask the front desk for transportation options. Or contact MWR about renting a bike or scooter to get around if needed. As a parent with 4 teenagers we decided to suck it up and walk. It wasn't too bad, but it is quite a hike if you're elderly, out of shape, or with little ones. Don't forget your ID if you walk off base! Remind teenagers to bring their IDs too. Guards will stop everyone and ask.

Beach access: Don't expect sprawling sandy beaches on Key West. NO beach at Fly Navy Gateway Inn or near Trumbo Point. There is a small beach across the island at Fort Zachary Historical State Park (fee to enter car/pedestrians). Military can access a beach (FREE) on base at Truman Annex located directly next to Fort Zachary if you have military ID and/vehicle pass. Keep an open mind the beach is full of small pebbles/rocks so good luck finding a sandy spot to lay down on your towel. picnic tables available at both beaches. There is a small beach at Southernmost Cafe too.

Food: I'd recommend Southernmost Cafe for breakfast/lunch. We had a party of 6 (2 adults/4 teens). We ended up eating here 3 days in a row. Our last morning we had a party of 9. No worries. 20 minute wait during Spring Break. A reasonably priced, family friendly restaurant. Food was great!

Nightlife: Irish Kevin's on Duval Street! A favorite spot by far. If you're looking for a bit more risqué place check out Garden of Eden above The Whistle. You never know what you'll see in there.

Best Bargain: Military peeps don't forget to call ahead and check out MWR for discounted tickets. FURY CAT adventures offers a discounted price ($87 per adult) for full-day catamaran cruise. It was AWESOME!! Best deal in Key West and worth every penny. 9AM-4PM includes: breakfast (danish/bagels/fresh fruit/OJ), parasailing, jet skis, inflatable rock climbing in the ocean, lunch (fried chicken/cold cut sandwiches/pasta salad/cookies) and all you can drink coke/water. All you can drink beer on the way back to port 21+. Snorkel gear included. Very friendly staff. Highly recommend.

Hope this review helps. Enjoy Key West!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Mercado-family
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

Our friends got married in Key West so a bunch of flew down and stayed in the town homes. For $110 per night, these 3 bed 1.5 bath place was just right. Full kitchen, screened back porch... Drawbacks, no view, 1 TV, bed snot comfortable... I must say the pool was super clean. You must rent bikes to get around. About a 5 min ride to the heart of Key West. Helmets mandatory on the base. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank LFox14
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My family and I stayed for a week in mid febuary. This is definitely nothing special. The kitchen was pretty nice, the living room was okay. And the bedroom was a bedroom. I will say the bathroom wasnt very clean. There was a past guest's soap still in the tub... As well as lots of hair... Other then a few minor things it was basic living. The price can't be beat. Unfortantly there was no WIFI in the townhouses, no daily house keeping(which we actually didnt mind), and just one tv in the house down stairs. Good looking guards at the gate made my stay alot better :) but that's just me. Anyways this is basic vacation housing at a great price. Hoping to return next year.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Andreasell
Fort Washington, Maryland
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed at the Trumbo Point 3 bedroom town houses for spring break. Reading an earlier post about base entry with out a decal on your car, as long as you have a military ID, and the military members name is on a rental contract (rented a car), you have access to all the base facilities on Key West. I was traveling with four non military passengers, so I went to Boca Chica pass office to get base access for them to Trumbo Point. This way they can come and go off base with out me. The pass office is closed on weekends. I checked into the townhouse when the office at Trumbo was closed. They had a keybox and my house key was there, all I had to do was sign for it, then the next day I checked in the office to pay for the rest of the week we stayed. 115.00 a night. The townhouse is basic, clean, and inexpensive. It served its purpose. If you walk out the gate and turn right, in about 15 minutes you will be at the boardwalk. The boardwalk takes you to the end of Duval St and Mallory Square. We didn't have to pay for parking in Key West (2.00 an hour). Besides with all the bars in town, its a lot safer to walk into the base vice drive into the base after a night of drinking. There is a mini mart on Trumbo Pt. for your basics needs, soap, alcohol, microwave snacks, etc. If you want to drink on base, there is a bar in the "Fly Navy" building. The building is also the Gateway Inn. 75.00 for a bedroom suite that sleeps 4. The suite has a sofa bed for 2 in the living room. There are trailers on Trumbo for 75.00 a night. They have 2 bedrooms and a full kitchen with a living room. They looked basic and clean. There is a swimming pool on base, free with military ID, $2.00 for non military. If you like to fish, there is a Coast Guard base next to Trumbo Pt. There is a pier you can fish from. I talked with the gate sentry and he told me no fishing license is required to fish on the fishing pier. The pier is adjacent to Mallory Square, so you can also watch the sunset with no large crowds. To sum up are stay in Key West, we all had a great time and all ready planning our next trip back to Trumbo Point.

Room Tip: Try not to get a town house adjacent to the main gate at Trumbo Point. You can hear drunks coming i...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends