“Worked for us”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Tropical Escape

Living room with TV
Master King Bedroom with full bath
Master bathroom
Master bathroom
Queen Bedroom with full private bath
Queen bedroom
Pond
Ft. Zachary Taylor Beach
Ft. Zachery Taylor Beach
Key West sunset
Its not KW without a chicken
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

MiracleSt...
Windsor, New York
“Worked for us”
Reviewed 21 February 2017 for a stay in February 2017

We rented this condo for the week of 2-9 to 2-16..Sunrise Suites #109..We booked this month's ago and I had no problem with contact with the owners..They always responded quickly to my emails. We did have a misunderstanding with the shuttle and truthfully it was my error..I had read so many listings that I knew this facility had a shuttle but it was not clear to me that it was unavailable for this unit..Worked out fine..we had a rental and when we didn't want to drive we used a cab. We traveled with 2 other couples..so I will let them post their own reviews..as for my husband and I it worked for us (the only drawback was that we got the pull out!) No pull outs are comparable to a regular bed..I know we have slept on many! We were delayed in arriving (snow in Philly and fog in Ft Lauderdale) It was probably 10 10:30 by the time we arrived..of course we got lost trying to find the condo..I had to call Roger..He was very helpful in talking me through the turns..did not seem put out by my calling at that hour! We spent Valentine's day sitting in the sun on Smather's Beach..using the provided beach chairs..Perfect day for me (sun lover!) I enjoyed the view from the patio..looking out on the pool and seeing the sun come up. We grilled out one night and the bbq was fine..yes it is charcoal , we checked before we went to the store to be sure what we needed. The location was convenient, stores were close by so when we needed something was not a big issue to get it..The one thing that may need attention..is the washing machine..it sounded like maybe the weights are off..All in all what's to complain about? We escaped upstate New York and missed snow and ice everyday..to sit by the pool or on the beach in beautiful weather!
Thanks for the week in Key West!!

Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
23 Feb 2017
We couldn't be happier that your stay was a good one at our place! We work hard to assure that our guests' experience lives up to their expectations and we are pleased that it worked for you. Thanks so much for your review and kind words.
bootleg71...
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Behold the Tropical Nightmare before, during and after Christmas”
Reviewed 29 January 2017 for a stay in December 2016
people found this review helpful

The owners have probably been waiting for this review…and here it is.

My wife and I reserved this condo back in June and we should have known from the beginning there would be issues. We asked if we could pay by PayPal and were told WE would have to pay extra so they didn’t incur the PayPal fees. In today’s age, this is completely unacceptable. In hindsight, this should have been my first warning flag not to rent with them. My wife and I opted to pay by check, and our first check arrived without issue. In November, when the rest of our payment was due, we sent a check a week ahead of time and it got lost in the mail. Sue demanded we overnight a check, at a cost of $25 (strike 2). I was livid but my wife over-nighted the check and then everything was fine. Once arriving in Miami, we drove down the Overseas highway and after a long day dropped our stuff off then went out to dinner. We had no idea what we would find when we got back.
We got home at around 10 to find dust, dirty (stained) blankets, sheets, mattress pads, pillows with stains, dried blood and mold, toy cars and long strands of black hair all over the condo (including IN the showers). We checked the second bedroom to see if it was any better and it was the same. This was the night of December 23rd. Instantly we went into full on clean mode and washed every sheet and towel we could find. They were all disgusting and luckily we found enough laundry detergent to take care of everything. Upon further inspection, the lint screen in the dryer was chocked full of lint (major fire hazard) I found curly hair and nails in the bathroom (eew), a piece of folded up paper towel holding the element to the stove in place (major fire hazard #2) and the filter for the air conditioner was so dirty you could not see through to the other side (not changed in months).
While everything was getting cleaned, my wife and I went through every pillow in the condo and they were ALL dirty, all old and all disgusting. We knew we would not be able to sleep on them, and felt strongly about leaving immediately. Unfortunately this being 2 days before Christmas the number of places with availability was small, and we had no guarantee of getting any money back (beware paying by check!). We drove to Ross to buy 2 new pillows for the low price of $10.00 each at 1am on Christmas Eve. While driving over I called the owners and left a scathing message; was almost immediately texted back and was told they were shocked because they stayed in the condo the WEEK PRIOR TO OUR ARRIVAL. They also told me they purchased new pillows and couldn’t understand what we were seeing. I was also referred to Roger, their “manager”. Roger is a nice guy, but isn’t the exclusive manager of this condo, he’s the manager of the Condo Association and isn’t authorized to do anything without contacting the owners. (Don’t be fooled by what the owners might tell you!)
Roger came over the next day and inspected the condo and said “you have some legitimate gripes about your situation”. We thanked him for coming over and he told us he would contact the owners to confirm what we had reported. He also replaced the months old filter in the a/c. I contacted the owner again and was told: “I must have an incredibly low tolerance for dust, and that he wanted to hire my wife and me to clean for him.” Not only was it wrong, but it was insulting. We have an incredibly low tolerance for DIRTY CONDOS and spending $1600 on it (or the equivalent of $271/night) gave me a certain expectation for cleanliness. I demanded half of our money back and did not hear anything. I sent pictures of everything I described and was met with excuses left and right about how this wasn’t possible and they couldn’t believe it. CLEARLY they do not understand how to keep condos clean.
One more note, it was advertised there is a bbq and patio table. There is no mention of what kind of grill it is. I was expecting a nice gas grill but was met with a grill you would find at a state park (the little black ones with the movable stand) and it had holes in the bottom of it. What’s worse is there was no charcoal provided or a fire stick. Instead of grilling fish or steaks for Christmas dinner, we had to scramble to find a restaurant that was open on Christmas.
I absolutely would not stay here again, for all the reasons I’ve mentioned and more: the view of the parking lot, the dishwasher rack rolling out of the dishwasher, the closet door continually breaking off the posts, the rust in the freezer, the location being too far away from everything, and (most important of all) the complete lack of management skills by the owners. One more thing about communication…the owners are awful at communicating. We were sent emails and constantly told to “reply back noting we received an email” (for confirmation), however when we initiated an email, the response time was all over the place. Sometimes we’d get a response right away, others times we had to follow up because nobody wrote us back. When I continued to demand money back, there was no texting or follow up phone calls from the owners with any explanation denying my request. JUST SILENCE.
I can’t even tell you how many people we’ve told about our experience here and we’ve got the photographic proof to back it up. To make matters worse, this was also a birthday present to my wife (she’s a Christmas baby) and this is what we have to deal with. Sue and Stephen are probably nice people, but when it comes to running their business, they need some help in so many areas. I’m sure their response will be ripe with excuses, and how nothing was truly their fault but the bottom line is this. My wife and I spent $1600 on a dirty condo and received nothing, NOTHING back. Not even an apology for our trouble or any type of refund. That tells you all you need to know.

***If you’d like pictures of our experience, I’m happy to share them all you have to do is message me on TripAdvisor and I’ll shoot them over to you.***

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
23 Feb 2017
Your review is interesting. If you look below yours, you will see more than 75 reviews, the overwhelming majority of which are 5 stars. Since we really don't have much control over who stays with us, we must rely on the hope that people who do stay with us show the the same good will that we offer to them. This apparently did not occur with you. It seems right from the start that you could not be pleased, searching for the most minuscule things to complain about. Who strips off the sheets to search for microscopic spots on the mattress cover? Who looks under the bed and finds a model car? Who climbs onto the tub to search for dust on a ledge near the ceiling? Who opens the restricted cabinet to inspect the air conditioner filter? Only someone looking for some reason to demand their money back, that's who. And you tipped your hand early on, asking for a refund practically on day one of your stay. Not cool, and I would caution anyone in the future who you apply to for a vacation stay to think twice about having you stay with them. Our history and stellar reputation have exposed you and your apparent dishonest intentions. Shame on you.
Laurie A
“Great place”
Reviewed 29 January 2017 for a stay in January 2017

We were very happy with our stay. The place was very clean and comfortable. Thank you very much. We will be back soon.

30 Jan 2017
Thank you so much for your excellent review of our place. Its very satisfying to know that the hard work that we put into maintaining our home-away-from home high standards for our unit has paid off.
Bonnie P
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Room for improvement”
Reviewed 19 January 2017 for a stay in January 2017
person found this review helpful

Review of Sunrise Suites # 109

The unit was spacious and roomy, with two bedrooms easily accommodating 4 people. Both the king and queen beds were very comfortable with large closets for storage. The balcony was another option for seating as there is no dining table, only high stools at the kitchen island. The kitchen is very well stocked, not an issue preparing a full course meal.
Overall the unit was clean, as clean as it could be. The kitchen and bathrooms are dated and in need of upgrades. The pertains to the kitchen stove, all cabinetry, faucets and lighting. The living room sofa bed is in desperate need of replacement as it was extremely uncomfortable to sit or sleep on. Also, the TV in the king bedroom did not get but one channel. Not really an issue for us as we really don’t watch TV.
The complex, Sunrise Suites, offers a shuttle service into town and to the airport but not for this unit. When looking at the website, it leaves you believing everyone has access to their shuttle, not the case.
The grounds are pretty, the pool small and the hot tub OK. Parking was never an issue for us.
Overall, I think this accommodation was a bit expensive but if split between 4 people it can be affordable. It is a good 10 to 15-minute drive into town and this should be taken into consideration regarding convenience and price.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
19 Jan 2017
Thanks so much for your in-depth review of our unit. It is through reviews from guests that we work hard to maintain the level of comfort, cleanliness and excellence that has been reported by almost a hundred renters in the past. As to your points of comment: 1) all appliances and fixtures in the bathrooms have been updated and upgraded over the past year. The appliances in the kitchen, although not brand new, are immaculate, functional and perfect for a vacation stay. 2) The sofa bed does get a lot of use, and its mattress was replaced just last year. We also dry clean the covers on the cushions periodically to maintain a clean environment. 3) As to the king bedroom TV and any and all electronics, we do provide the phone number of our local manager. A quick call to him would have had him at the unit in minutes to determine the cause of any issue that may have arisen. It's been our experience that problems with TV remotes require simple fixes. 4) As to the shuttle, please refer to our Trip Advisor web page, on which no mention is made of the shuttle. You may have been referring to something you've read elsewhere. 5) The dimensions of the pool are roughly 60 feet by 15 feet. Olympic size facilities are just not warranted for a building such as ours. 6) Please shop around a bit to review costs in Key West, both in our building and through the town when comparing our rates, which, we believe, are highly competitive and lower than most. 7) The location of Sunrise Suites is its major selling point. People looking for a place "right on Duval" need to look somewhere else, as our guests revel in the quiet and privacy that we provide.

Thanks again for your review.
Michelevo...
Canton, Michigan
“I will be doing this again!”
Reviewed 19 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

Very well kept condo. everything you need to enjoy your vacation/time away.
don't have to pack as much as they provide a washer and dryer.
Everything within walking distance (if you have a smidgen of stamina).

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location
Liked least: couch
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
A TripAdvisor Member
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Mrs”
Reviewed 6 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

Second year in this suite!
Place is kept up. My husbands wishes the couch was more comfortable. (LoL).
Walking and biking distance to downtown
Safe and secure
All the amenities of home!
Thank you for sharing this great atmosphere
Morning sunrise from balcony and Mallory Square Cat Man

davidgwen
Clemmons, North Carolina
“Blast in Key West!”
Reviewed 1 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

We were very pleased with the accommodations. Everything with our rental went smooth and exactly as communicated. The condo is bright cheery and clean. We enjoyed the well maintained pool right outside the condo. We also enjoyed Public beaches just down the road. The complex where the condo is located seems very secure. We had no worries day or night. Loved the combination door lock so there was no key to worry with. We went to Old Town Key West several nights for Fantasy Fest. Cab service was great and reasonable considering what parking would have cost if it could be found. Bicycle rental was available right on the property. We rented bikes and rode on the bicycle road along the water. We were given a best of Key West information sheet via email from the Rachell's that we referred back to through our trip to find good food and fun things to do. We also rented a scooter for a few days so we could explore the island fully. Great trip and great place to stay. The only problem we had was the thermostat battery went dead. We called the maintenance manger and the problem was taken promptly.

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
;