“Best fishing day EVER”

ShadowCaster Flats Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: A trip to the Back Country of Key West to catch some of the most sought after fish the ocean has to offer should not be missed. As the owner and operator of the Shadow Caster Capt. John insists on delivering a personalized fishing adventure. With Captain John you can expect Professionalism, Preparation and Performance, qualities that Capt. John has learned from the best in the business and keys to his continued success.
Alexandria, Virginia
“Best fishing day EVER”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We have been fishing in Key West for at least 10 years. We have never had a better experience than with Capt. John Smouse. My husband is an experienced fisherman, but I am not. John was very helpful to me and I wound up catching a 23" brown trout among other fish. Virtually every cast caught a fish. He also gave my husband lessons with a fly fishing rod that he brought. He fileted 2 of the large trout we caught and we had them for dinner. John had a great personality, great fishing skills, and was a very pleasant conversationalist. Cannot give him a higher recommendation. Hope you enjoy the day as much as we did!

Visited February 2014

Anna, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Nice day”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

The captain worked very hard trying to net us some fish, but with recent storms, it was pretty tough. He cut fresh bait chummed and as hard as we tried, we only caught one stingray, and a shark. We had a tarpon on, but could not net him in the boat. Kind of a steep price ($400.00) for minimal distance (little overhead) from the dock and few results. But overall, nice trip.

Visited June 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The BEST Fishing Guide in the Lower Keys!”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I knew from the time I visited Captain John's website & initial phone conversation that I made the perfect fishing guide choice! John is very professional, courtious and fun to be around. Not only this, but he WILL put you on fish! Captain John will be the only fishing guide I will use in Key West again!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Schrempy
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very professional and fun”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I have fished with several guides but have never had as much fun or as many hook ups as with Captain John. I have fished with him several times and he has put me on bonefish, tarpon, and even gave me a nice shot at a permit (which i unfortunately missed). Through it all he was very customer service oriented. I have also caught snapper, grouper, barracuda, sharks and trout His equipment is top and he's not a fishing snob like other's i have fished with. I give Captain John my highest recommendation.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Timmy G
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't Go with Another Guide!!”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband and I just took a trip with Capt. John on his boat. The weather was very rainy, but he was amazing and put up with it all so we could catch our first tarpons! All the other boats were just sitting out there not hooking any fish but as soon as Capt. John baited us up, it was "fish on"!! He coached me wonderfully and I pulled in my first ever tarpon after a great fight! Then my husband got his first, then second then third!! It was a great day despite the rain. Capt. John was Professional, knowledgable, courteous, friendly & personable and boy does he know his STUFF. Do NOT go with any other flats fishing charter. Capt. John is the MAN!!!

1 Thank JCMCannon2003