“A Perfect Blend of Northern-meets-Southern Seafood!”
Review of DJ's Clam Shack

DJ's Clam Shack
Ranked #18 of 447 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 21 November 2013

If you haven’t been to DJ’s Clam Shack... go, now! But, be sure to go hungry. The offerings here are nothing less than packed with fresh goodness down to the last bite. There’s definitely no skimping on succulent heaping chunks of Maine lobster, oversized fresh hand-breaded shrimp, and mouthwatering varieties of your favorite Northern clams!

We sat at one of the picnic benches in the back deck area, enjoying an ice cold cup of Sangria… Now, I love my sangria and this was definitely one to “write home” about. DJ’s Sangria is bursting with flavors of fresh fruit (apples, grapefruit, berries), and it’s not too sweet on the palette. I asked Bell what goes in the concoction to which he exclaimed “Whatever fresh fruit I get my hands on, red wine, peach brandy, and a splash of sierra mist.” DJ’s also offers an impressive selection of bottled beers and serves Yuengling Lager on draft… a perfect accompaniment to any of the offerings on their menu!

I am going to have to start with the Lobster Roll, which is filled with jumbo lumps of Maine Lobster meat (no shredded pieces or leg meat here!), dressed very lightly with a dash of mayonnaise to hold it together, complimented with chopped crisp celery and a lingering touch of savory tarragon, served with a wedge of lemon. As if the insides of this stunner weren’t enough, this cold lobster “salad” is served on a thick, buttered, and grilled bun.

We also had a chance to try a bowl of the very hearty and steamy Clam Chowder and it is the way New England clam chowder should taste, rich with tender clams and sharp seasonings.

Onto the Ipswich…The Ipswich clam, a New England delicacy (North Shore of Massachusetts), is a soft-shell clam served flash fried at DJ’s. You can enjoy these fried or served in a Clam Roll (similar to the Lobster Roll).

We also tried the Fried Shrimp, which are hand-breaded and oh, so succulent, and served with house-made cocktail sauce that beats anything you’ve had from a jar. And one of my personal favorites is the Middle Neck Steamers, served in a garlic-butter jalapeño infused broth, these are spicy and superb! Steamers are served up with a side of buttered and seasoned garlicky Cuban bread, way too good to pass up.

There are newer reviews for DJ's Clam Shack

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Every year for the past 9 years (minus this year, went on a big europe trip)my wife and I head to the keys for my birthday, and this is one of those places that I absolutely have to go to! Now, this place is just a hole it the wall kinda joint, with a few seats up front on the porch and a few more around back, but up front is a great place to kick back with a cold one and watch the people going by. The lobster roll is great and packed with meat. I love the clams, they cook them in a broth (with jalapenos) that is perfect for sopping up with the garlic toast that comes with it. There are plenty of other choices on the menu, but we keep coming back for those two items. It's located towards the quiter end of Duval street, and it is a small place, so don't miss it!

2  Thank danbwilm
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The lobster rolls were so good at lunch, we went back and got the same order for dinner. The coleslaw was also fabulous. Pull up a stool and watch everyone on Duval as you enjoy the delicious lobster roll and ice cold Pepsi. Love this place!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have been to Key West many times but this was my first visit to DJ's. I had heard about the great lobster rolls from friends that grew up in New England, people who are very picky about their lobster rolls. Believe me DJ's did not disappoint. It was a 1 lb lobster on the roll with big pieces of lobster, not shredded, served on toasted Cuban bread. I will go back to DJ's the next time I am in Key West.

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

We were just walking by this place and stopped in. Great cracked conch, clams and sandwiches. There's a little place to eat or they give it in a walking friendly container. A must place to stop!