“GO TO THE RUM DISTILLERY NEXT DOOR INSTEAD”

The Key West Winery
Ranked #12 of 111 Shopping in Key West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Key West Winery sells over 43 different varieties of premium tropical fruit wines, all of which are gluten free! If you are looking for a wine that taste like the fruit its made from then look no further. Our Key Lime, Hurricane White Sangria, and Mango Mamma have won so many awards we have stopped counting. Come on in and try our award winning tropical fruit wines and you too will be saying "Finally! Wines that taste good!"
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“GO TO THE RUM DISTILLERY NEXT DOOR INSTEAD”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Went in to sample the wines and probably buy a bottle or two. The only lady in there told everyone who wanted a taste to go pick out which ones, they only go in the order she gives them... I was confused at the operation to begin with. There were about 37 flavors, and a group of 10-15 people were starting to sample. My wife and I noticed there were 3 out that we wanted to try so we eased in with them. After they were done she moved them out of the way to let another couple up to the counter which my wife and i then stepped up to. She pointed to us and said they've already tasted its your turn. We just stood there and she eventually asked if we needed something. We told her there were a couple others we wanted to try. She rudely put it, "well i normally only do 5 and with that last group I did 9". Well lady, it wasnt the 9 that WE wanted. She was irritated that we were asking for more but said she would do ONE more for us. Heres a tip for you, with ~15 people at the counter and over 35 flavors, everyone isnt going to want the same 5 samples. Start having a sample of every bottle ready to go and when your customer asks for a sample, you pour it. WE WENT TO THE RUM DISTILLERY NEXT DOOR AND BOUGHT A 40$ BOTTLE OF KEY WEST RUM INSTEAD. Much much friendlier!

Columbus, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“RUDE RUDE RUDE”
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I can tell you from the start, I'm not a big wine drinker but I was traveling with a friend who is completely into the wine experience. We were thrilled to hear about the winery and tasting several local wines made from local fruit. When we got there the woman behind the counter barely said hello, we had to ask when they did tastings and she pointed us to the back and told us to read the signs of our favorite fruits. After my friend mentioned what she wanted to taste and the lady told her they were terrible choices and she wouldn't like any of them. She was bossy and made others in the group try things they didn't want to drink because she felt she knew better. I was completely appalled!! During the tasting she would go to the end of the counter and eat her snack. While they were placing an order to be shipped home (they did enjoy the wine, but all agreed the experience was awful) she then started yelling at a man who worked there that he couldn't leave until she went to the bathroom and he needed to Clean his stuff out of the refrigerator.

Definitely not the spirit of the keys. Shocked at how rude someone I the service/retail industry could be!!!

3 Thank MsLaDy-JuLiA
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

If you're looking for an experience similar to what you get at most wineries, don't bother stopping here. They were rude to us and were actually perturbed that we asked for a tasting. (Their website says they offer free tastings.) If they were worried about us tasting without buying, I would have gladly paid for a tasting. This is nothing more than a storefront. I've been to tastings and dinners and tours at wineries around the country... this is a sham.

5 Thank C-Nicolle
Spokane, Washington
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Grage Escape in Key West”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

It was the pink flamingo appetizer spread knives that caught my eye and drew me into the Key West Winery, but it was the wine and service that took us back. Yes they have a great gift shop (I bought several things to bring back home) but it was the wine tasting that made the day. We loved their raspberry wine on our vacation condo deck, and brought a bottle of their Key Lime wine home. We'll have that with chicken tonight. What was really fun was being served by Lynn and Scott, the owners. Such fun, joking and good, good, wine. Scott packed our bottle really well which we packed it in our checked luggage and it made it back to Spokane with us.
We'll enjoy it tonight and I can order more. Yay!

Calabash, North Carolina
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“No whining here”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

OK SO the fruit based wine is a big departure from the esteemed grape varieties. But for easy sipping that shouts laid back summertime porch sitting, these beverages have their place. A mixed case of easy drinking varieties will meet us back home....thanks FedEx. Nice staff and taste testing our way to choosing the product mix was a nice afternoon diversion.