“Stay away from this place!!!”

Banana Bay Resort - Key West
Ranked #51 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Thank god it was only 1 night.
Pro's:
5 min drive from Duval St
You are surrounded by Roosters and Iguanas
Breakfast on patio style terrace by the water

Con's:
Where to start?
Never mind if you run an obsolete mid sixties motel. When you work in this industry, Customer satisfaction is your utmost priority and giving a smile has no cost! That girl at the front desk does not love her job.
Room really needs to be cleaned, repainted and fixed/changed.
No, you cannot call this a beach! No access to water
Mattress is still in place after at least 40 years of business...sad!
The pool needs to be managed. I don't care much for a 120F temp water.
You have a pool bar, use it!
Breakfast....don't be shy to place some signs and guide your customers! We were the first to arrive and saw every single couples and family doing the same mistake while looking for the B'fast room. So funny
Breasfast? Seriously?

Overall, not worth my 210$/night. I would barely pay 80$ for this and being in Key West does not value this. You need to revalue the market you are placing yourself in.
Will not return and make sure, as a travel agent, that none of my customers will.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Daniel L

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is a gem of a place. Close to everything but far enough away from the noise and craziness if the downtown area. Andre and Mike Hernandez stood out as examples of superior service.Thanks guys. Job well done. Above and beyond my expectations. Oh yeah, the pool and surroundings are amazing

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Karl G
Reviewed 9 July 2014

OK, I. like many others, read the reviews here, and was a bit skeptical before arrival. I'm happy to say that it appears that many folks are very hard to please. This is not a Marriott or a Hilton, so if that's what you expect, then book at the Marriott or Hilton.

What it is is a piece of the Florida Keys. When I travel, I enjoy soaking up the atmosphere of the surrounding area, and Banana Bay surely does that. The rooms have good sized balconies (about 4' X 12') and most overlook the pool area. The rooms were also large and, well, roomy. The 4 post bed had a mosquito net over it that my was thought was adorable. The TV worked, with plenty of cable channels. No, there is no WiFi in the rooms, but you come to the Keys to get away, and who doesn't have a data plan on their phone anyway?

The pool was spotless, and because this an adults only resort, there were no screaming kids. I like kids, I even have a few of my own, but I came without kids, and thoroughly enjoyed not having to listen to someone else's. That aspect alone was one of the best points of the entire long weekend.

Yeah, it's a couple of miles to Duval St, but a taxi is a flat rate $8/person, or you can rent a scooter or an electric car for your stay. There's a K-Mart, and a beautiful Publix grocery store within a five minute walk, so don't over pack. If you need anything, they have it all, including a liquor store.

Next time I fly down to Key West, this is where I'll be staying...unless I bring the kids.
Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TheRealDeal_12
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our room was pretty bad. Not very clean, worst bed I've slept on in years, leaking toilet, etc. The pool is lovely, clean, and well maintained. The location is not very convenient to Ducal Street, but you could walk it if you wanted (about a 35 min walk). In general, the staff were friendly. Also, the hotel is totally dog friendly. We brought 2 dogs (20 & 60 pounds) and they were welcome with no pet fee. It was my first trip to Key West and I now see why this hotel is such a bargain compared to others. It wasn't a terrible stay, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you you are OK with a seriously mediocre room.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank 2dogs3cats
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night . Liked the pool area with a nice non swimming beach. Great relaxing view, even saw a manatee. Room was ok breakfast wasn't. Would've liked to get a drink at the pool bar but it was closed and looked like it has been for awhile. $10 cab ride to Mallory square.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank red8888
Reviewed 20 June 2014

As soon as we hit Key West, got on the phone and called several hotels for pricing. Banana Bay was not the cheapest. What made us choose Banana Bay was the desk clerk who answered the phone. I forgot his name but was very accommodating and patiently answered all questions and concerns. We loved everything about our room. We were a bit surprised at the pool the next day. We did not realize this was an adult resort until we observed a couple nude sun bathers. Nothing was offensive and we enjoyed our 3 day stay. The price was great for the quality of the room and the breakfast was good as well. We felt safe leaving our motorcycles out at night since they had night security. We will definitely will visit Banana Bay Resort again when we visit Key West. Upon check out, we had the same great and friendly service with the female desk clerk. Gotta remember to get names. :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Angela S
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

All hotels in Key West are ridiculously expensive but being low season Banana Bay had a price I could live with.. Beautiful room with king size canopy bed! Very tropical! Overlooking pool & jacuzzi ! Had all the amenities needed for a comfortable stay .

• Stayed: June 2014