“Stayed for a week Labor Day weekend”

Banana Bay Resort - Key West
Ranked #51 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Riverdale, Maryland
“Stayed for a week Labor Day weekend”
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Excellent and Fabulous. Banana Bay is PET FRIENDLY (we booked on bringfido.com) and it exceeded expectations (based on other tourist towns like Daytona and Miami). It was clean and well accomodating. The room was quaint with netting on beds. The beach was only so-so because of rock protections - you can get in water, but with difficulty. the resort faces the gulf and a couple nearby tiny keys. the water is crystal clear with abundant seagrass, fish and crabs visible, seabirds are plenty (no annoying seagulls). there are even a few rabbits that seem to be semi-domestic. The staff keeps the place tidy. The pools was hot (as expected in September). the only negative was the hot tub was not so much at times (hot tub gets some shade). The pool area is clothing optional and everyone was well mannered. the pool was visited by the 25-65 age; apparently the resort doesnt allow under 16. the clothing (less) and kid-less are big benefits. there is several large shopping across the street. the tour trams stop across street at Fairfield. no bugs - which extremely surprsing for mid-summer. the tiki bar was closed. however, I spent more on Duval per night than I did for the room (maybe I should not admit that). Nothing to complain about. We have had much less satisfying stays in Daytona and Miami ("better" more costly hotels). We will be back.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Some people are just never happy. Having said that, the term "resort" has changed somewhat over time. Back in the day, if your Florida motel had some acreage, a pool and some palm trees it was called a "resort." Now of course the word has a different meaning. The Banana Bay is certainly not on a par with a 5-star luxury hotel with all the amenities, but it is a fine place to stay if you're not Mick Jagger, and you don't want to spend a fortune on a place where you're basically just going to sleep.

My buddy and I took a trip on our motorcycles to Key West. We *could* have stayed at the Casa Marina, but didn't want that. We arrived on a weekday. The Banana Bay is out-of-the-way, and separate from all the other typical chain hotel/motels you find when you first get into KW. The staff was friendly, the place was clean - it got us wondering if the people who wrote bad reviews even stayed at the same place?

Yes, yes, the carpeting in the rooms should be replaced with tile. Other than that, the room was fine, and had the usual microwave/refrigerator/iron/hair dryer that we've come to expect. We liked the ceiling fan - nice touch! It's the tropics, after all. And we liked the little balcony with table and chairs.

The pool area was nice and clean and well-maintained. All in all, a very nice hotel! By the way, the Banana Bay had the most comfortable bed/pillows of any hotel I've stayed at recently, which has been mainly Holiday Inn Expresses and the like.

As for the breakfast... As hotels get more competitive, they offer bigger and bigger breakfast bars, to include eggs and waffles and stuff. It gets silly. You want a big breakfast? There's a Waffle House right up the street. The Banana Bay advertises and provides a continental breakfast of cereals, bagels, and muffins, with plenty of coffee and juice. What part of "continental breakfast" do people not understand? It was fine for us. Oh, there was no fresh fruit, boo-hoo. Like I said, some people are never happy.

You could eat your breakfast outside under the palm trees on a little patio by the water, which we did. Marvelous! Nice way to start off your day. Alternatively there is another patio with tables that overlooks the pool/jacuzzi.

We liked the tropical setting of the place. Yes, it was on the water but no, it had no beach. Big deal. Being right on the water is a BIG plus in my book. Few hotels in KW are actually *on* the water.

There is no wireless internet in the room, although the breakfast room is a wireless hotspot and has a desktop computer for guests to use. No problem for me, as I left *my* computer home (we were supposed to be on vacation!). My riding buddy brought his, and got online in the room through his cellphone, which worked fine.

Whatever problems this hotel may have had in the past, they seem to be corrected as of August of 2010. We had a great time staying there, and when I go back to Key West, I'm going to stay there again. Can you do better in Key West than stay at the Banana Bay? Not for the money you can't. But you can do a LOT worse. (By the way, I'm not an employee or shill - contact me at BH206bB3@juno.com if you want to know more.)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Ocean View, Delaware
Reviewed 13 August 2010

My husband and I stayed here last July without any issues, and we decided to stay here again from July 29--August 1. Our room was clean, the front desk (Molly) was awesome, and parking was plentiful. We also enjoyed walking around town near the resort at dusk. We could even walk to Pizza Hut :)

We like this resort because you must be 16 or older to stay here...makes for a nice stay :)
I was also pleased to see the rabbit (s?) was still there. I LOVE RABBITS! So sweet!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
fairborn, oh
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I decided to stay at Banana Bay because of the price difference and location between other establishments on the island.

THE PROS:
--My first impression of BB (Banana Bay) was decent. One of the associates, Matt, held our baggage when we arrived early from the airport. He recommended several restaurants, activities, beaches and bars to go to... and they all turned out GREAT! I really enjoyed several of his choices. He also gave my sister and I coupons for them... which was a plus since everything on the island is so expensive.
--The pool was always clean and a very nice temperature. I even sat in the hot tub once and it was very very enjoyable--even on a hot day.
--The private "beach" was quaint and nice... you can lay out in serious silence
--The pool seemed to be never busy... it was quiet and there weren't a bunch of kids screaming and jumping in the pool. The pool was very relaxing.
--Military Discount (if you apply...)

THE NEGATIVES:
--When I called & made a reservation (at the actual hotel) I clarified that the tiki bar was open and actively being used... the woman who helped me said it WAS open.... to my surprise upon check-in, it was not. I was really disappointed.
--Almost every time we went to the pool, we had to ask/call for pool towels... and most of the time they were out. This was frustrating since we had to use our bath towels. For some reason they seemed stingy on towels...
--The heat/AC in our room was inconsistent. It was either blazing or an igloo in our room. It was so frustrating. We had to get up in the middle of the night to either turn on/off the AC... seriously ridiculous.
--The Housekeeping cleaned at very weird hours.... we had to call to see if they were coming to our room, and to our surprise--they forgot. They came around 6pm after we called... it was odd.

If you need any other info, let me know. I'd be happy to help...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Margate, Florida
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Fantastic well manacured grounds with beautiful bay views that let your brain wind down to a stop. Staff that was terrific with all our needs and a cleaning team to be commended, our room was spotless and smelled great. Was very impressed by Steve , the GM, who was physically working his butt off, very unusual for management.
That was the pro this is the con. The room was in great need of a complete overhaul of very basic problems. When these issues are taken care of this, property will reach its potential. Incidentally its pet friendly and our golden retriever, "Clancee" loved his vacation. CC & CC

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Just got back from a relaxing week in Fort Myers. Decided to take the Key West Express to Key west for a night. I thought I did my home work while looking for a place to stay there for one night. Pulled up in front of the place after an $11.00 cab ride and was shocked. There should be a law against false advertising! "Resort" it certainly is NOT. Their website is totally misleading. The place is a dump. They claim to be beachfront, well they are not. They claim to be close to Duval street, well they are not. Another $11.00 cab fare. Front desk people rude as hell! The guest checking in in front of us got the exact same room for $89.00 and we paid $163.00! When I asked the front desk how that could be, they blamed it on Travelocity! I never even booked through them! Then they refused to show me the paper work! Very shady business practices! We had to stay because we had no choice a refund was out of the question! Again, dirty room. I cant believe this place hasn't been shut down! My lawyer is looking into their secret way of charging their guests. Maybe I can at least get my money back. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank desh47
Baltimore, Md
Reviewed 2 July 2010

My husband and I were looking for a quick get-away and the Keys seemed very appealing until I began looking at hotel prices! We found Banana Bay Resort on a website, and I quickly read the reviews here. With a bit of trepidation, we booked, and I'm SO GLAD we did!!!

The ADULT ONLY hotel property is not fancy, but maintained quite well for it's age. The pool/beach area were beautiful. Again, not a 5* resort, but definitely not the "dump" that some other reviewers would have you believe.

First the outside: the pool area is very nice with plenty of towels, shaded areas, tables, and cushioned lounge chairs. The sandy beach area looks out onto a pretty bay and the crystal clear water. Like most resorts in KW, this is not a swimming beach, so don't expect that. The "pile of sand" that people speak of as being "Gross" was leftover sand they use to keep up the beach area. It looks as though there was an old pool they've filled in on another part of the property, and dumped the excess sand in that area. No, it's not pretty, but No, its not visible from your room/balcony either. We were able to sit on our balcony each day/night and not be bothered by mosquitoes, which was an unexpected surprise.

Rooms: We stayed in room 116 which had a view of both the beach area and the pool. I think the primary flaw with this hotel is that the rooms are carpeted, which is never a good idea in a tropical area. There was a bit of a musty smell which one would expect in a humid climate where carpet is concerned, but it was not a deal breaker for us. The rooms are a very nice size for the price, and come with a good sized refrigerator, a sink, some cabinets, and a microwave. All of which come in very handy should you care to buy food to make your own lunches during the day (or even dinner to save a few bucks). There are no utensils, so be sure to grab some plasticware along the way. The King sized bed was VERY comfortable with great pillows.

For the budget minded traveler, this is a great water front hotel not far from the action of Duvall street, without the lofty price. If you're looking for the Ritz, the Westin, or even the Sheraton, this isn't it, but neither is the price tag!!! Also, be advised that topless sunbathing is welcomed here.

Just a tip, if you've never been to the Keys, I suggest you travel by car from Miami instead of simply flying directly to Key West. It's a beautiful drive and only takes about 3 hours total. We rented a car for less than the cost of a daily bike rental or taxi ride in KW!!! EZ rental car out of Miami airport (you have to call them for a shuttle driver) has rates of $13 PER DAY!!!! it's an easy scenic filled drive, and you can always stop off at the other keys for a quick swim along the way :)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple