“Fairfield Inn definitley added a plus to a great vacation choice!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West
Ranked #36 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wimauma, Florida
“Fairfield Inn definitley added a plus to a great vacation choice!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I was very pleased having rented at this hotel for 5 days, and 4 nights, even though in the midst of construction, they were more than ready to help their customer with any and all needs they required. I myself am handicapped, and the day of my arrival, the elevator was out, and due to my handicap, I was unable to do the stairs and without a hitch they changed my room to a much more feasible room for myself, and a friend who also was renting a separate room here. The actual hotel was extremely well kept, and even though it is offseason now, I was very happy with the overall upkeep of all the amenities here. The room was neat tidy and orderly, and the other parts were also extremely well kept. The most impressive thing was the manager and employees as they strove to please their customers in which I was very happy. They were always of a good nature, smiling, as well as dealing with tasks at hand with a pleasant attitude. I realize that not all customers treat them the same, and can be downright demanding and nasty when they feel they have or are owed the right by the hotel they are renting. I know as I was next to the registration area, I noticed several different times that they were tested but prevailed with the utmost courtesy. I had rented at the Disney venue earlier this year and I have to admit, I felt the standards here surpassed the rooms I had rented at the Disney parks. I hope that this helps you choose more wisely when deciding on a spot in the keys.
Although we were not on Duval street, we were only a few minutes away and approximately less than 2 miles from there. When I was deciding on where to stay, I had looked at numerous Bed and breakfast places in which on the web they showed a tremendous amount of room, in which when I saw them in person, this was far from the fact. The B&B's were extremely cramped into the areas down by Duval street, and of course I realized the homes were much older, but so were the facilities in which you would hope to be making your trip most comfortable. The value for the Price was great as it included morning breakfast in which they were very generous with their selections of available foods. The pool was an incredible feature as I had never been is such a huge pool and it was very clean.. Again, I am glad I made my choice here, as I really was quite pleased with my overall experience.. Thanks again Fairfield.. Kudos to you all!

Room Tip: review the site to request accordingly to your ability to handle things as stairs, and distances to...
Green Features: non smoking hotel facility overall was pleasant for all and for users proper disposals were handily placed to serve those who were users.
1 Thank MargieBrn
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
We are all genuinely glad that you enjoyed your visit! Thank you very much for taking the time to share that glowing review. I will certainly pass on your comments to our hard working team. Take Care!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Czech first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This property has some of the smallest guest rooms - even compared to NYC or Chicago! As a Platinum Elite guest I was hoping/expecting an upgrade to a suite since there were 4 in my party, but no suck luck. If you're paying for the room, and there's more than 2, it would be worth it (likely) to upgrade. The regular rooms are small.
Overall, standard breakfast like at any Fairfield, friendly staff, and easy enough to find. The hotel isn't really near anything, so car/bicycle is needed, but not a terrible location.
Everything was clean, mold-free, good housekeeping, etc.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can afford it - regular rooms are small.
1 Thank Steven H
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for the detailed response. Have a great day!
Wiscasset, Maine
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This Fairfield Inn offers what you'd expect for the brand, though I think the property they took over was previously a run-of-the-mill motel, with outside entrances along the corridors. They've spruced it up a bit, and the hotel was very clean, considering its age. And not a hint of mildew, also a surprise considering. Breakfast was typical, but unique to this property was breakfast trays already prepared with plates, napkins and utensils. Nice touch, and the people at breakfast were VERY friendly. Almost way too friendly for people just waking up! (Just kidding, who can be faulted for being too friendly?)

What I found off-putting was the signs on the elevator informing guests that the (only) elevator was out of order. I witnessed a bus load of seniors, many of whom were walking with canes or walkers arrive, and were directed to the stairs to walk up one, two or I don't know, maybe three flights of stairs to their rooms, while the staff used the "out of order" elevators to bring up their luggage. I spoke with one of the passengers the following morning, after witnessing he and his wife struggle to walk down the stairs. I told him that I saw housekeeping using the elevators, even though the sign said they were out of order. He told me that the group was told when they arrived that the elevators were out of order, so they'd all have to use the stairs.

I find it very odd and seemingly cruel to require these particular guests to use the stairs while the staff allowed themselves the luxury of using the elevator. Odd.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are best, try to stay away from Rt. 1 facing rooms
Green Features: Typical "reuse your towels", low flush toilet type of things.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
We certainly appreciate your concern. The elevator was in fact unfit for public use at the time the group arrived. We most definitely would have no reason not to let the group use the elevator if it was fit for service. We honestly were only acting with everyone's best interest in mind which is why we voluntarily carried all luggage to the rooms for the group. We also posted personnel at the staircase to assist any and all that needed help. Again, I am sorry if you or anyone else was inconvenienced. We are absolutely grateful that you took the time to share your thoughts.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This hotel was just fine for what we needed. A nice sized pool with a bar next to it for those times before you head down to Duval street. A rather good breakfast which was included in the room rate. Location was fine, not really walking distance downtown but an easy taxi ride for about 10 bucks. Although its a mile and a half to Duval street so I suppose you could walk. My recommendation for those coming to key west is to plan on taking a taxi around. Theres not much parking downtown, and there will be plenty of drinking going on, so leave the car at the Fairfield. Plenty of parking at the hotel, and much of it covered. The staff was super friendly, especially front desk and the breakfast team. Only negative I can think of right now was that the A/C in the room was super loud! But after a long day/night of partying, that wont really matter.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back side face a residential neighborhood, and for some reason there are a bunch of...
Green Features: I like that the toilets were low-flow and there was a note on the lid that explained it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
I am sorry about the chickens. They are a protected species in Key West. We do have a service that traps and relocates them for us. Sometimes it takes a few days to get them rounded up. I certainly appreciate your patience!
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is an older hotel and you may be disappointed if you are a frequent Marriott traveler (the towels were old and thin), but it was certainly clean and overall ok, although the rooms are indeed small. There is an excellent pool and tiki bar, and the breakfast was actually very good and certainly worth the stay, since the hotels downtown are all so expensive.
It is located mid-island, and no hotel shuttle to Duval Street, so you need to have your own car, or take a taxi or rent a moped (I think there was a bus stop also). I found the front desk staff very helpful. There is construction on the main road (N Roosevelt Blvd) and sometimes you hear a truck at night, but it was really not a problem. I am fussy, but the price was right, and you don't spend much time in the room with so much to see in Key West! There is plenty of parking, and an easy commute to Duval once you learn the streets! (back way to hotel is Truman to First, then east on Patterson and left on 7th!).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
I'm glad you felt we were a value. Thank you for your feedback!
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Fairfield is a good place to stay if you are on a budget traveling to Key West. Most hotels are super expensive, and this place is reasonably priced and gets the job done. The rooms aren't too impressive, but they are clean enough and are comfortable. There is a pool and tiki bar. Also, there is a nice breakfast included, which is an added perk. About a 5-10 minute drive from the center and Duval Street. Nice stay overall.

Room Tip: Rooms on the pool are a little more comfortable in terms of relative location and view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond!
Shifnal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We had just come from an excellent night in the Courtyard in Key Largo which I have reviewed separately. We drove up from the back and to be fair it didn't look at its best and there were road works going on on N Roosevelt Blvd. My wife was a little concerned that we had not chosen wisely for our 3 nights in Key West. After a quick check in we went to our rooms to check what they were like with a little trepidation even though we had been upgraded.

They were great and this was handicapped friendly with a slight ramp if needed, there was another on the first floor and there might be more - worth checking. We would also recommend getting a room facing the pool rather than one facing the back. The bed was good and had been designed with disability in mind.

The pool is substantial and was a welcome break as it was hot in Key West nearly touching 100. The breakfast area was good also and we would recommend that you get one of the porch seats, it really does start the day off well to eat outside and start to feel relaxed.

It is conveniently placed and there is a trolley bus that can take you into town and bring you back (this runs early am and finishes around 16:30.) As parking can be a problem in the town centre a taxi ride back to the hotel will cost you around $12.

Service was good and it was nice to see 2 of the front desk team where from the UK. We suspected that they felt they had won the lottery on such a great posting to such an idyllic area. Also there was Joe from Durban who was also very helpful. A good team.

We did have a problem with the lift once when someone had wedged it open and the 2nd more serious when the lift did not operate at all, this was reported and dealt with quickly as my wife who is disabled had to get up the stairs to our room on the first floor and I had to help a gentleman with a prosthetic leg up to the 2nd floor. It would be of use for the management where there are people with disabled issues to identify how they can reach upper floors if one lift is not working on their maps.

A small design issue, the washbasins didn't have a plug in them which we were informed was common to all and a real surprise as we had never come across in any Marriott around the world. I therefore had to use a flannel to stop the water going out when I was washing and shaving in the morning. Also from a sustainability point of view it isn't good to waste water. I realise that there is little at present that can be done, but I d recommend that this is an area that is addressed at the next refurbishment.

Although this is not an issue that the Marriott can do anything about the roadworks on N Roosevelt Blvd are going on for the next 18 months and mean a slightly longer detour round (not really a major concern on such a small Key) Also we had no problem with excessive noise/dust whilst this work was going on.

All in all a little haven of a place to stay on Key West with good staff and a place to chill and unwind

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks again for your feedback. Much appreciated.