“LOVED THE KEY WEST DECOR”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Based on other reviews, it seems people either love or hate this place. I loved it. I stayed in room 236 on Saturday, February 1, 2014.

I first want to make note of a nice employee. Veronice checked me in – she was very sweet. As soon as I went in my room, a smoke alarm malfunctioned and started beeping. I called down to her and immediately, I mean within seconds, a guy knocked on the door and fixed it. That night I found a note in my room from Veronice apologizing for the inconvenience (it SO wasn’t any inconvenience at all) and tix for free drinks at the Tiki Bar there in the hotel. Even though the alarm issue was really a non-issue for me, I thought she was so nice to apologize for it.

I will begin with all that is great about this hotel. For starters, I love the Key West feel to it. They keep the décor very Key Westy – love it. The rooms are painted cool colors, and have “shutter-type” windows that are very nice touches. My room had 2 double beds (double, not queen). The beds were very comfortable, and the sheets were crisp and clean. One thing in particular I liked was that the room was tiled, instead of carpeted – never saw that before. To me, tile seems so much cleaner than carpet. The vanity area is outside of the toilet/shower area and the countertops were also tiled - I LOVED that tile; it gave the room very nice character (see my photos). There was a little cubby hole for extra towels and the coffee pot. The bathroom was super-clean, and I say that because the shower had glass doors that were spotless! I liked the glass doors rather than a shower curtain. There were plenty of fresh, big towels. My room also had a microwave and a frig. Even though it was February, it was still hot outside – but, the A/C was very efficient and kept the room very comfortable.

The breakfast area is by the pool and is big, and airy, with nice fans and, again, the Key West-type, laid-back décor. The breakfast on Sunday was till 11am - I LOVED THAT. In most hotels, it’s only till 9:30am, sometimes 10am. It’s a huge breakfast buffet with anything you could want. You can eat under the open-air shelter, or out by the pool. Whichever you choose, it is relaxing and beautiful. The people who run the breakfast are just so nice (as was everyone at this hotel who I came into contact with). They are helpful, keep the place clean, and were pleasant and nice. Great staff!

Now that pool. The pool here is something you would see in a resort. It is HUGE, with fountains, and lots of beautiful palm trees and foliage. There were a lot of people at the pool, but it didn’t seem crowded because the pool is so big. Right by the pool is the breakfast / eating area, and a Tiki Bar that opens at noon. There are also very nicely-kept restrooms right by the pool. The pool area, even if you don’t go in the pool, is really such a beautiful area to relax and chill-out.

The parking for this hotel is free. There is a LOT of covered parking, but if that is full (it never was for me), then there is plenty of regular parking. Wifi is also free here, and it is really good wifi. It was speedy in my room, and by the pool and bar.

The hotel does have a couple negatives. One is that the rooms open to outdoor corridors – like old style. Normally, I don’t like that, but my room opened to a view of the magnificent pool, so I was okay with it. Another negative is the room was very small. With the 2 beds, a tiny table, and the dresser with the TV, there wasn’t much move-around space. It was comfortable for 2 people, but would be tight for 4. And, the bathroom was really, really small; yet, the shower was very roomy – if that makes sense. Try and get a pool view room; otherwise, you overlook the parking lot – NOT a nice view. The biggest negative is the price. This hotel is expensive! It was over $200 a night (Feb. 2014), so I opted to use my Marriott points. When I normally use 10,000 or 15,000 points – this hotel was 35,000 points. That’s New York expensive! But, in all fairness to the hotel, I shopped around for cheaper and that was the going rate! Key West is just an expensive place to stay!

The location is decent, less than 2 miles from downtown Key West. I noticed that there were a lot of bicycles (and scooters) in the covered parking area, so I think you can rent a bike/scooter from the hotel – which would be an excellent choice. Key West is small and with a bike or a scooter you can get all over the island in minimal time and not have to look for parking downtown (downtown street parking was $2 an hour). You won’t have a problem walking or biking around Key West – it is very laid back and even though there is traffic, the streets are small and it is very pedestrian and bicycle-friendly.

I liked the hotel and would most definitely stay here again. The laid-back feel, the décor and the friendly employees really made it a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Definitely get a pool-side view. The parking lot view is NOT pretty!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank tczig
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you very much! I honestly beleieve that this is the most detailed review that I have ever receieved! I certainly appreciate the time and thought that you put into your response. We value your opinion and plan to share your experience with our team. It is the most powerful tool that we have at our disposal to continue to learn, grow, and improve. Thanks again!

There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Old property. Small small rooms. Noisy high 1 speed air conditioners. Great location. Management must know deficiencies because only Marriott property I have stayed that offers all guests free (very good) breakfast. International staff not trained well. Lost key and staff offered to replace immediately until supervisor stepped in to manage necessary security procedures. Saw similiar situation later with another guest needing a room key with no security procedure performed. Marriott needs to enforce standards!

• Stayed: January 2014
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

I am sorry if you felt insecure. We do have team members in training on duty. There is always a team leader nearby until they have completed a written and demonstrable training program. I will certainly review our training procedures for any possible gaps. I was glad that you enjoyed the free breakfast. It is in fact a standard at all Fairfield Inns. Thanks very much for the detailed feedback!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel while visiting key West for two nights. Was a nice clean hotel. Beds were comfy and the pool was very inviting. But of a distance from the centre of Key West, but only a 5/10 minute drive. Will cost you $12 in a taxi. Breakfast was really nice. It had a good selection of food. Hotel staff all very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you! Your feedback is appreciated!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

This hotels had 2 things going for it-free parking and free breakfast. The pool area was very nice too. The staff was helpful. We were on a budget and they were inexpensive compared to everything else. The room was on the small side. There is construction going on on Route 1 in front of the hotel but no big deal.We were still able to get where we wanted to go. If you have a high tolerance for walking(we do) it is walkable to Duval Street etc. If not,there were bikes for rental at the property. It was nice to park the car for 2 days and not get hit with a parking fee. Would stay here again but prob.spring for a bigger room.

Room Tip: cheapest king room too small upgrade if u can
1  Thank cbm479

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Much appreciated!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We have been in Key West during the peak season (Christmas week). The hotel is less expensive compared with other accomodations in key west and is advisable if you travel with childrens (we were able to accomodate two adults, one children and one infant in one room).
The hotel is located outside the historical area of key west in a commercial area which, of course, is less fascinanting. To reach the city center we suggest to take a taxi which costs only 4 dollars per person and allows to avoid parking problems.
Common areas are nice: there's a big pool surrounded with palms and deckchairs and the bar and breakfast area are next to the pool.
Rooms and breakfast are average for this type of accomodation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alberto1970
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you for the detailed response!

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

The property is older, the rooms are small and there is heavy construction going on outside. Despite all this I would recommend you stay here. The pool is nice and the tiki bar is great, the detergent is complementary for the laundry room, the breakfast is great and parking is free. Above all this, the staff are amazing. They made us feel welcomed and took such good care of us from start to finish. And I'm not talking about the normal Marriott chain "we're happy to have you here". These people go above and beyond.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank NicoleandJim

Thank you very much!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

First the staff at the front desk was great. The breakfast is one of the best I have had for a Fairfield and the pool is nice to look at and the location was ok. After that everything else is way down hill. We stayed two nights and was given a "double double" or a two room suite as I am Platinum Premier with Marriott. Everything about the room felt old and dirty. The floor was terrible and there looked like mold in the shower. The room door would not close automatically as you had to wrestle to pull it locked. Shower pressure or hot water were non existent. Second day room was barely cleaned could not have been more haphazard. I stay in Marriotts around the world and know there is a difference in Fairfields and full service but this went way beyond. I would rather stay in a car than return here. We checked out early and drove to Miami to avoid another night.

2  Thank Jon C

I am truly sorry that our room did not meet your expectations. I did not see a report of any issues of that nature with any of our rooms in the recent past. I am disappointed that we didn't have the opportunity to rectify the situation while you are still on site. I will surely take your comments to our leadership team for review. We appreciate your input.