“Rude employee”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami Beach, Florida
“Rude employee”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

The room was okay. The staff was rude and sarcastic, especially the large black guy wearing a maintenance uniform. We were going to breakfast and the large black guy walk by and one of the people in our group said "I smell ghanga", under his breath and then the large black guy gave him a mean look and said "What do you need me to get you some?"

I didn't feel comfortable after that I found another room.

Room Tip: find a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
I am very sorry to hear of your negative personal interaction. I will certainly review the situation with my team. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Czech first
Cary, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

As long-term Marriott Rewards Member, I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. The building and the rooms are old and not the quality I have come to expect from a Marriott property. I have stayed at better Super-8 hotels! My wife and I refused to stay and immediately checked-out. We asked the front desk to assist us with securing a room at another Marriott property and they suggested the Courtyard a short distance away. They called the Courtyard and were told that a room was available. Unfortunately they refused to secure the room for us and told me to use the PC in the lobby to make a reservation. By the time I was able to get online and get through the process, they were sold out. Very poor customer service! My wife and I ended-up securing a room at another competitors hotel and these accommodations were what we were expecting from the Marriott. In addition, it is one thing to maintain a hotel like this but another to charge the premium Marriott rates for rundown motel type of property. The Marriott needs to demolish this building and start over! Last but not least [and not the hotels fault] but the main road is currently under heavy construction; difficult to travel around and a giant mess.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tom P
I certainly apologize if our rooms did not meet your expectations. We value your input and feedback. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed here for one night in January. This was our first time in Key West and we wanted something that was decently priced with a pool. The rates were pricey but that's a given in this area. The location wasn't bad, about a 5 minute cab ride to the famous Duval St., however, there is quite a bit of construction going on in the area.
We had requested a room overlooking the pool at the time of booking and at the time of check in but were told this wasn't possible and instead we got a small, dark room facing the parking lot. The room was clean, bed was comfortable and shower was quite nice but the rooms were gloomy and small.
We rented bikes on site which were reasonably priced. Bike lights cost extra; be aware that it is law to have them on your bike at night. Only downside is that you will need to take your light off your bike at each stop as they are almost always stolen. We had intended on biking all day/evening but it was difficult to really experience Duval St. on a busy street with the abundance of traffic and walking crowds. We also felt unsafe at times with cars being quite close and with all of the construction. We later learned that Key West is actually a very dangerous place for cyclists. We ended up returning the bikes earlier than intended and walked back down. That being said, the bikes were helpful to tour the city quickly, we were able to tour through the cemetery and other popular areas at a quicker pace so that was a plus as we were on time constraints.
I never did swim in the hotel pool but my boyfriend did and he couldn't get over how warm the water was. I would have preferred a colder temperature to cool down from the blazing sun and heat. Pool was nice to sit around though, there's several fountains and it appeared clean.
We made use of the breakfast buffet in the morning, quite a selection of food but not so much for seating. Most people left to come back at another time while others sat with strangers. The buffet offered lots of fresh fruit, boiled eggs (they need to work on this, these eggs were hard and stiff- gross!), cereals, fresh milk and juices, scrambled eggs (which weren't kept replenished), sausages, and a variety of breads/waffles. If we ever return to Key West we will probably opt for a B&B or Inn closer to the touristy action. We had paid more for a pool but a warm pool on a hot sunny day isn't very refreshing! Take a cold shower instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, otherwise you will be overlooking the parking lot which isn'...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nursemack
I was sorry to hear that the pool was not as comfortable as you expected. We honestly do our best to keep the water at a temperature that everyone can enjoy. Again, I do apologize if it wasn't great for you and your party. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Harwich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Key West hotels can get very pricey this is a good for the budget finder. Old hotel that's been cleaned up but still needs some minor work. The staff was extremely helpful, although they were from England. Construction along Roosevelt blvd makes it difficult to get in & out, the work has been going on for 2 years I was told. Key West has a shortage of rooms in prime season I'm glad I found this place.

• Stayed February 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for responding.
Knoxville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by the ambience at the Fairfield Inn. The construction on Roosevelt Blvd is a nuisance in front of the hotel but is almost completed. They were working on the sidewalk the day we were there at the end if January. The rooms face a lovely courtyard with a large pool and fountains spraying into pool. A very nice breakfast was served in the veranda at the pool. It is on a busy street but the Old Time Trolley stops in front of the hotel and takes you directly to Mallory Square. Tickets can be purchased at the front desk. The bike path is on the opposite side of the street and there are bikes for rent at the hotel. We had a king suite which was very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on back or sides because Roosevelt Blvd can be noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
FFIKEYWESTGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Key West, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. We hope to see you next time you're in town.
Barrington, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Room was an average size and quality but the pool facility and breakfast were very good. Close enough to the center of town to get a taxi for about $10. Its on the main road so lots of facilities around. Staff were great and offered good advice. Would recommend it as palace to stay for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Would recommend pool view room rather than back of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michael m
Thank you for the detailed response. Your feedback is appreciated.
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

This time my daughter-in-law chose our hotel for overnight. I taught her well. Even though our room was small with tile flooring which felt cold, it was nice and our balcony overlooked a fantastic pool! We were not close to Duval or Mallory Square, but driving and parking was easy so we could see the sun set at the bottom of Florida and eventually returned to swim in the pool before bedtime. I was able to do my laps; we all had a cocktail at the pool bar and in the morning, a fantastic complete complimentary breakfast was eaten by everyone. We were treated so well, that we stayed as long as we could including swimming again in the morning.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room overlooking the pool and above the first floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nanceb1439
Glad you had fun! See you next visit!