“good hardware with certain improvement needed.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West
Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Florida
“good hardware with certain improvement needed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed here for one night, Dec 27-Dec 28 in room 105 and felt good about the hardware. The location is not around the most famous attractions, but the island is small. The hotel also has shuttle service. The lobby is small but the decorations looks nice. The front desk is efficient and recognize my hilton hhonors gold membership. We enjoyed the pool.

The only thing that brings my rating for this hotel to 3 stars is the housekeeping. I called the housekeeping to request a tube of toothpaste, the man on the phone said it would be delivered soon. I waited for half an hour and called again. A lady answered the phone and just said "we don't have toothpaste, we run out." There was not a single "sorry" for either my 30-minute waiting or the unreliable promise of "delivery soon".

Room Tip: It's pet friendly and $75 fee for bringing in a dog.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Key West FL, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

The Hotel is a Key West-Island experience. Beautiful tropical surroiundings; a pool bar that serves food and stays open later than most pool bars; Tasteful Christmas decorations in the Lobby. Our Suite was clean, smelled good and was comfortable with a great view of the pool and patio. Great location & transportation to Key West proper to take in the sights. Definitely going back

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Patricia H
Jupiter, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Terrible service. Rude people. Out dated. Wayyy over priced. I have stayed with Hilton for years and this is the worst one i have ever stayed at. I mean, the Florida Keys requires a little bit of class- this place needs to catch up. Man, such rude service- bar, restaurant, front desk.

Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Lacy L
WeCareInKeyWest, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
We truly value your business with us and want you to have an enjoyable experience. We're disappointed to hear that you encountered poor service and can assure you this is being addressed. We hope we can invite you back to experience our true hospitality.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Although the location is not the best, the shuttle service provides a great service. The facilities are very good with spacious rooms and nice public areas. The service received was outstanding in most of the stay. James from Reception and Billy from the bar were just amazing. Attention to detail and personalized service in a very natural way. A pity that I can´t say the same about Ronda in Reception. She seems to be bothered when we approached her for an inquiry about our room location and didn´t even care to pretend a polite answer. If it wasn't for this small hiccup, this hotel would deserve a 5.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BushidoUK
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

When I made reservations for this hotel, the reservation agent spent 10 minutes on the phone explaining to me the difference between The Double Tree in Key West and the other Hilton properties. He was right; if you want contemporary, this is the place to go. The Double Tree is a a bit off the beaten bath, which they make up for with regularly scheduled shuttles to the tourist hub. The rooms are Caribbean colored themed with overhead fans. Nice size bathrooms that are clean, modern, and up to date. Weak internet service is something that you find here and a lot of non-business center hotels. Little ants are also living here but hey, like the chickens, it's part of Key West. No, the hotel isn't bug infested. In fact, it's darn clean but, the tiny tiny ants are there, too. The pool alone will make you feel that you are on vacation. Live steel drums, frozen drinks and waitress service, a tiny waterfall and plenty of recliners with plush towels. Because of it's location away from the bars of Key West and it's facilities, it seems to be a favorite with families. This is a good choice.

1 Thank Northofchicago
Northville, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Crazy staff at restaurant. Without showing menu, just asked and pushed us to order buffet. Finally only my kids ordered buffet and I ordered normal continental breakfast. Then, one of my kids had stomach ache and I ate some of them from my kid' plate. The staff warned me to charge baffle price to me. Of course, I stopped to eat some of my kid's plate and understood his comments. Since his overall service was bit poor compared to my other experiences, finallyI put less than 10 percent tips and he took the bill before we left the table( I do not like that too)and saw the number of tips and then got mad. He challenged me and said "Tomorrow morning I will charge buffet price for anything". I think he is puffed with working in Key West and thought everyone spent a lot of money. He did NOT say even Thank you to us and just left from our table. I misunderstood which one is customers. When we left table. No one in the restaurant said thank you to us. I think they do not respect customers and maybe welcome the persons who only order tons of stuffs and put a lot of gratuities. I should have put even 0 tips or a penny as gratuity to him. Overall, the experience was ver bad to us and I will not come back to this hotel and do NOT recommend this hotel to anybody. I will no longer use Double Tree brand although I am frequent Hilton Honors member.

Room Tip: Just refrain from choosing the hotel which is the key to enjoy the area.
5 Thank Prekoto
WeCareInKeyWest, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Thank you for your patronage. I am very surprised and sorry to read about your experience on Trip Advisor. Please understand that what you have described is not the way we usually treat our guests and it is definitely NOT the DoubleTree standard. Our job and our goal is to ensure you enjoy your stay and want to come back again. Please contact me directly so I can speak with you about your experience.
miami, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I think that you should have something for birthdays like a cupcake with a candle for birthday occasions I am mentioning this cause it was my daughters birthday and I asked if they had any things like what I mentioned above and I was told that I can go to Publix that was near by but that they don't do anything like that here it would've been nice to have her get surprised by one of your employees with something like what I mentioned above it would've been nice thank you for your concern.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Juan M L
WeCareInKeyWest, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Thank you for your patronage and for the suggestion. We will ensure that our restaurant is well stocked with birthday candles and that our restaurant staff knows where to find the candles.