“An aging hotel far from Duval”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I booked this hotel because I used Hilton points for our entire stay. I knew it wasn't near Duval but who can argue with a free stay? We had our car with us anyway, so we figured we would be flexible for this trip to Key West. they do also have an hourly shuttle to Duval but every time we looked at it there was a huge lineup for the shuttle. We just drove ourselves. Anyway, Key West is not that big and this is about as far as you can get from where you want to be.

I had booked a balcony room and they said they upgraded us beyond that as well to a king studio with a balcony. I don't know what the difference was as I never saw the other room type I had booked. the room was an average hotel size. if our room had been any smaller, I would not have been pleased.

The balcony was spacious and overlooked the pool. And the bed was very comfortable but beyond that, we did not like this hotel at all. it needs some serious upgrades. it's just looking old and tired. Even the barstools at the pool bar are just stained and old and need to be replaced. how expensive can that be? Anyway, after ordering one round of the worst margaritas we have ever had, we stayed clear of the bar there. The pool is nice though HEAVILY chlorinated and even the pool towels are faded and tattered. thankfully, they don't charge a resort fee here because it just would not be worth it at all.

Our TV didn't work for the first three days we were there, we only had one garbage can in our room and every time the neighboring rooms opened the doors to their balconies, it sounded and felt like an earthquake in our room. I'm sure they heard our balcony door sliding open as well.

The housekeeping was ATROCIOUS. As in all they did was replace towels and make the bed. A room service plate stayed in our room for two days until I put it in the hall. An open soap box stayed wet and soggy in our shower for 3 of our 4 days there and probably would have spent the whole vacation with us except that I finally complained to the desk. We made our own bag of trash near the desk since there was no trash can and that hung around too, getting fuller all the time, until I spoke with the manager. yuck. I did finally complain about all of this to the manager and he did get the room cleaned up finally, which was nice.

Like I said, this stay was "free" as i booked it wholly with points so in the end..... whatever. Though I am now out a ton of points which I used on a very mediocre hotel experience. if I was paying $ for our room, I would have checked out after the first night.

Key West is always a lithe quirky anyway and we always go with a very flexible attitude but this place, for us, is just not worth the extra trek into Old Town and the on-site amenities are pretty poor.

4  Thank bonsai35
WeCareInKeyWest, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations, and want you to know that Housekeeping did not meet our expectations when it came to taking care of your room. Thank you for bringing it our general manager's attention during your stay. We have discussed how to prevent it from happening to future guests in our executive staff meetings.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West

Reviewed 1 February 2014

room was noisy - machinery close by was loud. noisy workers outside room talking loudly every morning... cleaning staff was knocking on door at 8:30 in the am the first morning... next day was check out... at 9:30 we're packing up and the cleaning staff knocks quickly and then just opens up the door and asks if we are leaving and if they can clean. pick a better hotel close by Duval st... not worth the $ charged.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Terry J
WeCareInKeyWest, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Please accept my apologies for my overly enthusiastic Housekeeping staff and the noise that disrupted your stay. I have taken action to ensure this does not happen again.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

This hotel is top notch from check in to check out. It is clean, the staff are friendly, and they make a mean mojito. The pool area is pristine, and inviting. The bed was like a little piece of heaven, the room was quiet, temperature was easily controlled nothing could be improved. Thank you Doubletree we had a great time!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Second stay in Key West, first at this hotel. The Doubletree is a nice option, but it is not within walking distance of really anything, except the airport (1 mi) or Smathers Beach 1.7 miles). To compensate for this the hotel runs shuttles, both scheduled and on-demand. And they do it very efficiently. Overall the hotel is pretty good, a little beat up around the edges, this hotel gets alot of bookings, tour groups, etc. from what I saw. The pool area is a bit small and cramped, but clean and well managed during my stay (late Jan. 2014). I stayed on Hhonor points and received a room on the 4th floor overlooking the west parking lot. Some early morning truck delivery traffic did wake me up, room 473. But the room was clean and comfortable. The Hhonors buffet breakfast was pretty good for a DT in my opinion. No restrictions on the items you could choose (way to go) and all food items looking fresh and delicious. Overall I would recommend this hotel, but be prepared to take shuttles to town or elsewhere unless you're in shape to walk it (4 miles to town) or use a bike rental.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking pool area or east parking lot, the west parking lot presented some early m...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed two nights at this property in January using our Hilton points. We were upgraded due to our status with Hilton to a suite which was fantastic. The weather could have been warmer to enjoy the balcony more, but overall the room was clean, large and the breakfast was very nice.

Room Tip: We had the Marquesa Suite which was two rooms and was very nice.
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Great group of friendly helpful people - too many to name individually. Top notch service.Very nice comfortable room overlooking pool. Better than average breakfast buffet - very nice experience for dinner. My wife really enjoyed her massage and spa treatment. We are very happy with our decision to stay at the Doubletree and are looking forward to staying again soon. We had a wonderful holiday in Key West.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Very nice hotel and pet friendly. Very nice staff, good restaurant and nice pool and spa area. Hope to stay there again on our nice trip to Key West. It was also nice to have the buses available in case you didn't want to drive since parking is tough in the downtown area of Key West.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family