We stayed here on Dec 29th and 30th. The rates were very high for these two nights - $339 the first night and $399 the next night. I saw that the rates dropped to $189 after new years. This is the price that this "hotel" should be. We stayed on Hilton Honors points - 80,000 for two nights. A great use of the points during high season price time. As a Diamond member we received comp'd breakfast each morning and free parking. Also internet was free for us. A nice perk for loyal customers of Hilton in their top tier. Even though this is Key West which is known for it's expensive accommodations, there is no way that this place is worth anywhere near what they were asking, yet it was a full house - fully booked. Wouldn't spend a penny over $200 for this place.
The rooms were what you'd expect in a Hilton Family hotel. Clean, decent size, in working order, very comfy bed, but nothing special and no wow factor at all. Nautical color theme - white, blue, yellow. It was decent and had no complaints but a bit dated. The pool is quite small and only a max of 4 feet deep. Plenty of lounge chairs and other chairs. The pool is definitely not heated. It felt like it was about 70-72 F. Too cold if it's not a hot day. It was only about 72 F outside the day we were there. Air conditioning in the room was great. Great shower. Fridge in the room but no microwave. Our room had only a "juliet" balcony facing the pool so you could open a patio door but not go outside. The common areas including the lobby, restaurant, pool bar and pool are average. Nothing fancy. Nothing bad.
The hot breakfast on day one was exceptional. As I mentioned the $12.95 each breakfast was free for us, including made to order omellettes if you are a diamond member. There was so much choice and everything was so good. We said that it was the second best hotel breakfast we had ever had. Interestingly enough though, the second day was so different. The "fresh squeezed" OJ from the day before seemed to be replaced by what seemed like Tang. The scrambled eggs were inedible and the sausage and bacon weren't good at all where the previous day they had been excellent. The service on the second day was terrible too. Funny how one day can make such a huge differance. The restaurant itself is not open in the afternoon but you can order food from it out at the pool bar. We had chicken fingers and fries and a pita wrap with fries and both were excellent. Drinks were reasonably priced for what we had. 2 for 1 MGD for about $3.95 I think. One note, dogs were allowed outside in the outdoor breakfast area. This seems non hygenic to me. They were just small lap dogs but still.... dogs should not be in restaurants either inside or out.
We had great luck with the shuttle. We went to Duval street and back twice with the shuttle with hardly any wait. Did not use a taxi at all and saved money. They say it only goes once an hour but we were picked up twice downtown about 40 minutes early. This could vert depending on demand.
Everyone we encountered with the exception of day 2 at breakfast was awesome. Check in was great. Front desk always great. Doormen. Billy the Greek at the bar. We did have to call for housekeeping at 4pm even though we had no sign on the door and had been out of the room all day.
Very quiet away from the hustle and bustle. ONLY downside is having to count on shuttles or taxis to take you back and forth to where everything is on Key West. We had ZERO problem with shuttles though.
In closing I would recommend this hotel for a visit to key west but in no way expect any thing that resembles a "resort" like you would find in Mexico or the Caribbean... not even the very small ones. This is a hotel and it is a bit better than average. It is in no way Grand.
Go with the right expectations and for a decent price and you won't be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West, where a friendly staff member is waiting to welcome you with our famous token of hospitality - a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie. Our newly renovated full service resort welcomes vacationers and business travelers alike to enjoy the best our island has to offer. Relax in luxury at our first-class Key West, Florida resort. DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West is the ideal destination for your stay in the Florida Keys. Tropical gardens and a beautiful zero entry pool offer the perfect setting to enjoy America's Caribbean. Sip on a refreshing cocktail from our outdoor Tiki Bar. If your visit calls for business or a special event, the Grand Key Resort features venues and conference facilities for up to 300. Stay at our Key West, Florida resort, just one mile from Key West International Airport. Highlights •Shuttle service to and from the Key West International Airport and the downtown Duval area •Beautiful zero entry pool with cabanas and extensive decks for relaxing and sunbathing •Complimentary WiFi •Full-service Palm Haven Restaurant and poolside Tiki Bar •7,000 sq. ft. of indoor meeting space and outdoor event venues ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Grand Key Hotel Key West
- Doubletree Grand Key Resort
- DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel Grand Key Resort - Key West Florida