“Very enjoyable”

Ranked #25 of 51 Hotels in Key West
INDIANA
“Very enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

Just returned from a trip to Key West Flordia. Loved it! Stayed at the Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa. 1st of all the location is great - close to downtown and Duval Street, resturants, and shopping. I am really picky about where I stay. My husband booked this trip and hotel as a birthday surprise. And to be honest I was really nervous that he picked a hotel that I wouldnt care for. I was wrong the Hyatt was great - staff was wonderful and very helpful. Food / Bar / Pool and hot tub great. Room was fantastic. We had room #2208 overlooking the turtle pond. Concierge service on the property is very helpful and I recommend using them. They booked dinners, a fishing trip , snorkling trip for us (snorkling is not great - too cold and found out the sea is rougher in the winter months and we couldnt see anything - if you snorkle there do so in the summer when waters are calmer). I highly recommend spending the money to go deep sea fishing it was fantastic!!! Sailing there is also nice. My husband and I did use the spa - it is very nice, and ask for Gary he was wonderful.
I am not the easiest to please when it comes to hotel/resort stays but this place has my vote.

1 Thank fromtheusa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

This hotel met or exceeded every expectation, and we expected a lot given the room rate. Had a surprise when we checked in when informed that there was a maintenance issue in our booked ocean front room and we would need to stay the first night (of 4) in a partial ocean view room. The manager more than made it up to us, but having experienced both room types, I think the premium for ocean front is worth it. While a Hyatt 'chain' hotel, it is actually quite small ( I think about 120 rooms) and never felt crowded despite being fully booked. Very relaxing!

Some highlights: champagne on arrival; outdoor pool bar is beautifully designed with great views; beautful and large bathroom with glass shower; proximity to both the northern end of Duval and the Bight; activity rentals on site.

1 Thank Miketheworldtraveler
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

My wife and I spent 3 days at the Hyatt and it was fantastic. The check in was easy and the staff did eveything to make our stay perfect, thank you Ms Agbaba. First what the Hyatt KW is; a large upscale chain hotel that felt like a boutique hotel. The rooms were modern beach, very clean and the bathrooms were as pictured-fantastic. Room service was always less than 30 min and the food from "Shor" was great. It has one of the best pool bars in Florida. The hotel is less than 5 min walking to Duval St and the "Wharf" is next door. There are bike/motor scooter rentals next to the hotel. The best aspect of this hotel is that you are close to everything yet it is an oasis from the madness that can Key West.
Now for what the Hyatt is not: there is no beach to speak off but rather a "sandlot" and water. To be fair most of the hotels are this way as Key West is not a sandy-beach destination. The hotel has a few spectacular view rooms, many average/partial view rooms and a few bad ones i.e. next to elevators or over the bar. If the view is important then pay for the ocean front rooms. The west side of the hotel( bld #3) is next to the public sandlot beach that has been mentioned before. The hotel is on the main channel to the harbor and can be busy/noisy. It has two sunning areas, pool and sundeck both are very nice but limited bar service. The spa has two great masseuse(s) Erin and Lucy. Although the rooms were nice there was a great deal of outside noise due to the fact they faced a parking lot. Finally the rooms do have floor unit AC which worked well but always have a background hum.
Bottom line we would go back again and stay here. My advice is to relax, slow down and walk around until you find a place that you want to dine in.

1 Thank cactus410
Raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2009

The hotel was very nice. The decor was very modern. I was really happy with the bathroom, I know that sounds wierd but it had a huge shower with no door, and really cool bowl sinks. We had a ocean view room and the view was amazing. (check out my pictures) The staff was fine I guess....now that I think about it I didnt really see them too much. The location was perfect. We walked everywhere. We rented scooters to go across town to a beach but other than that we walked to the rest of the trip and I am not really in shape! :) The pool was fine but it was small. The only bad thing I can say bad about this place is that the food is soooooo expensive. It was good but pricey at both the rest. and the bar.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luvtravelluv
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt in November 2008. The location, property, rooms, food were all amazing! Definitely worth the price for the rooms. The food was over-priced but then we found that most restaurants in Old Town were pricey. We had no issues with staff. Not overly friendly but courteous. The decor is superb. We had a king suite overlooking the gulf...it was perfect! Beautifully decorated and the bathroom was awesome too! Nice touches like rainfall shower head. The pool area was nice but the temp of the water was on the cool side. If you want a chair by the pool get there early as people do the "towel drop" to reserve their chairs. I would definitely go back and recommend it to friends. In fact we're planning our trip for 2009!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oakchick
polo55polo55
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

We were not given the room we booked and paid for. Staff was dishonest, telling us they were giving us a room upgrade when in fact we were being given a room below the level we were paying for. No follow up by staff. Hotel is way over priced for what you get. Very small pool with not enough lounge chairs. Very little sun as pool area is surrounded by hotel buildings. "Private beach" is a joke...almost nonexistent.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank polo55polo55
WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

Location is this hotel's best feature.   Other positive points are very nice rooms, bedding and bathroom.  Overall the staff is quite friendly.   I would stay here again. However, be prepared for overpriced and somewhat slow service in the dining room. The fitness center is small with 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, one bike and free weights, but the machines are top of the line. Housekeeping was attentive but often came late in the day (4pm).

I would recommend avoiding the advice of the concierge in regard to jetski rentals. He referred us to Old Town Tours which is contiguous to the Hyatt property. Please see my separate review on the tour company but overall very unpleasant.

If looking for a quick bite, the shop Damn Good Food to Go is on the same block and has tasty food at a decent price.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — housekeeping slow to clean room
  • Stayed February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)