“Time for some updates”

Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #40 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 6 October 2011

When we go to Key West - which we have been doing for more than 20 years we usually stay at either the Historic Casa Marina or the Marquesa. One is a big hotel and the other is a boutique B&B. We love the location of both as they are away from the "old town" activity. Unfortunately, this time we opted for the Casa Marina, and were somewhat disappointed. The hotel is gradually falling into a state of disrepair. The rooms are clean, but worn - which is to say they walls and base boards REALLY need a fresh coat of paint, and the beds are so worn out that they sag. (I was in two rooms in different parts of the hotel; both rooms were this way.) I understand that many hotels have been cutting back and cutting corners due to the economy, however a good nights sleep at a Waldorf Astoria should be a "given" ... I hope someone who can do something about this reads my review and put in a purchase order for new beds! I will be back some time next year, but will ask before I make my reservation if this has been done.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sleach2013
Write a ReviewReviews (7,453)

Reviewed 6 October 2011

The resort is amazing in and of itselt and the staff is amazing. In particular, John Hertline, a bell hop for the resort, did an excellent job making sure myself and those in my party were taken care of and well equiped to go out into Key West (getting us taxis, telling us places to go, etc.) I will definitely suggest this hotel to anyone looking for a getaway in Key West. Thank you!

Reviewed 4 October 2011

This was by far the nicest place I have ever stayed. And I mean both the property and the people! The hotel is gorgeous and we loved that it has a history. When I walked out of the lobby towards the beach/pool, my jaw dropped. The photos do not do this place justice. The fountains and palm trees that line the walkway to the beach are the perfect welcome to the property.

When we checked in, we were early for check-in but our room was ready and they also upgraded us! We found our room with no trouble. We had room 299, which had a nice sized living area and separate bedroom. It also had a small balcony - not much of a view but since we were not expecting to have one in the first place we were not complaining! The bathroom isn't huge but was plenty of room for my husband and I.

We spent alot of time at the pool. If you stay here, so will you because you will never want to leave! The H20 Concierge guys were awesome! Rob and John addressed our every need - cleaning our sunglasses, offering cold towels and my husbands favorite - the 2pm popsicles!

We had quite a few cocktails at the Sun-Sun bar and the staff there was also excellent. Jan, Darin and Suzanne all made delicious drinks and were very friendly.

I also had a blissful deep tissue massage at the beach cabana with Josh. He did a wonderful job and told me step by step why he was targeting a certain area and gave me some helpful tips to understand how my muscles interact. I left feeling refreshed and relaxed.

The staff at Casa Marina are truly service professionals. They are well trained, friendly and extremely accommodating. I cannot wait to come back. My husband and I were thoroughly impressed.

Room Tip: The ocean view at Casa Marina is ridiculously good - next time I will def request an ocean view room
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I stayed at Casa Marina for a weekend get away. When I arried, my room was not ready. I was invited to use the beach facilities. To my surprise, it was Bike Week (Poker Run). The desk alerted me and assured me thaty they have made arrangements to insure a pleasant stay. While on the beach, I met a pool attendant named John who gave me the low down on the property and the island. From minute one, John was accomodating without being intrusive (down to scented, frozen cloths). The desk called that my room was ready and transferred my luggage. Before my departure from the beach, John invited me to experience some of the water sports that the Beach Concession offers. He invited me for a Wave Runner island tour. Two days later, I took John up on the invitation. I met John and Tom in the morning along with a couple from NY. WOW!!! What an awesome experience!!! Tom (English gentleman) and John shared their vast knowledge and hospitality with the four folks in my group. No charge for the Dolphin sighting.

In closing, the ENTIRE staff of Casa Marina are world class. The valet, Cliff N. was exceptionally professional and detail oriented. The desk staff were present, attentative and professional. HIGHEST kudos for John and Tom at the beach sport concession. When you visit CM, stop by and ask for John. He is a true professional with a vast knowledge and a sensibility for what true high line hospitality is all about. I will DEFINATELY be back to visit and relax at CM.

Room Tip: Request an ocean from suite away from the pool. Second floor is perfect!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2011

This hotel is very nice. The staff are very friendly, in particular, Scuba Steve and bellhop Jonathan Hertline. The rooms are small but nice. Doesn't matter much because you don't want to waste a single minute in the room when you could be out and about in Key West. The pools were great. The only real downer for me were the slick tiles that were slippery as ice if they are you were wet.

Reviewed 4 October 2011

I recently sayed at the Casa Marina for a business trip with my organization. It is a beautiful resort and everyone was very accomidating. One person in particular, Jonathan Hertlein, was extremely helpful! He gave many good suggestions on places to go and visit, helped with transportation, and took great care of everyone in our group! Thanks to Jonathan and the rest of the staff at Casa Marina for making our stay so enjoyable!

Reviewed 4 October 2011

The hotel is wonderful as always. Mark who handles the beach/pool needs is extremely professional and personal. He made our visit a dream come true. We really enjoy the sun and water and Mark made it perfect.
We will return in the near future to relax and enjoy the beach. Mark made this a true 5 star vacation in paradise.
Thanks, Alan