“Beautiful Resort!”

Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed at the Casa the 20-26th of July and had nothing but great experiences with the property and Barefoot Billy's (the adventure sports facility). We were traveling with family as a group of 9. All of our rooms were well maintained and clean. This is my first experience with a Waldorf property so I can't compare it to other Waldorfs, however, I can say that we found ourselves sitting poolside and enjoying the property so much that we didn't need to venture out much. I was very happy with the rooms, they were clean, cool and had modern decor. They do have tile floors but with all the sand that is a plus in my book. I am sure that some Waldorfs have nicer rooms available but this facility fit right in with Key Wests easy going and no worries vibe. My 3 boys loved the pool and other activities the resort had to offer. There is always something going on. The wait staff were all very courteous and quick to help. Many knew us by name by time we left and we made fast friends with many of them. If you embrace the resort and the people there you will have an awesome time. It is a bit of a distance to Duval Street but we walked it (about 1 mi.) or took a cab ($3/person). If you want to be in the heart of the action that Duval street offers the Waldorf may not be for you, however, if you are going for a relaxing, fun-filled personal experience the Waldorf is definitely the place to be.
The boys at Barefoot Billy's are amazing. We had 1 wheelchair bound member of our group and they went above and beyond to help her. Whether it was in and out of the pool or getting out in the ocean they were there for her every second. They wanted to help her have the best time and they did. We took their jet ski tour around the island and I highly recommend it!! It wasn't a head to tail no speed boring tour, it was fast-paced trip around the island with stops along the way to point out the sights of the island, with a little individual time to kick it up in the gulf. Mark, English Tom and the rest of the boys made it easy to have a good time!!
I know my next trip to the Keys will be spent at the Casa Marina, I have no reason to venture anywhere else!!

Room Tip: Our rooms did not have an ocean view. If you plan on spending a lot of time in the room it might be...

Reviewed 27 July 2012

What impressed me the most about this hotel was their security and that is why I am writing this review. I left a Lagos diamond ring in the safe but didn't discover it until 10 days after our vacation. Somehow my ring was luckily underneath the carpet in the safe so it went unnoticed by all of the former guests. When the security guy called me to tell me he had my ring, I was doing the jumpy dance for sure. Secondly they have a relationship with a photographer we used called Bond Fire Studio. I can not say enough about the GREAT job KARRIE did taken photos of us on the beach and throughout the property. I have never had a photographer take so many pictures and be so fun to work with. Her price is reasonable and the outcome is amazing. We are so happy we did a photo shoot at Casa Marina! The third thing I like about this hotel is the all of the outside area especially the expansive beach (for Key West anyway). There was always a lounge chair to be found by the pool or on the beach and we were there during July 4th. The hammacks underneath the palm trees on the beach can make for a lazy day. For action, there are jet skis on-site with great staff to lead you in a 2 hour tour of the island. My son and I did the tour and those ski's go fast so my advice is to be well rested and perhaps semewhat in shape. It is also romantic to have dinner with your spouse on the beach for sunset. Several tables are set-up waiting for you to come enjoy the next sunset!

1  Thank jojolatour
Steve T, Manager at Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Dear jojolatour,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you were got your ring back. We are glad you were able to enjoy our beautiful property and have some fun while you were at it. Please come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Upon check in, I was assigned a room that someone had recently smoked in, and the room clearly smelled of smoke. I called down to the front desk to seek a solution thinking another room of the same type would be fine. The person I spoke with told me that there were no other rooms available and that he could have housekeeping come up and spray deodorizer in the room. I explained that deodorizer merely covers one smell for another, and that was unacceptable. He stated that there was nothing else he could do.

Having had a terrible experience at the Waldorf Towers in New York just the previous week, I was not about to let this matter drop, so I insisted on speaking with a manager right away. He had Maria the front desk manager call me fairly quickly, and to her credit, she genuinely seemed concerned. Maria was able to find me another room, and she sent up a bellman with new keys and to move me. The new room had a better view and was a bit larger, but the shower curtain was frayed, the desk seat cushion was seriously stained, the bathroom vent was covered in dust, the window drapes were spotted and stained and the shower valve and head were so loose that I could move them from side to side an inch or two. I also had an issue with the A/C not cooling adequately, but an engineer was sent up who knew how to lower the temperature and disable the movement sensors, which seemed to help. It is sad though to see this beautiful property in such bad shape and run so poorly. After staying in two different Waldorf Astoria properties in two weeks, I have to say that I'm supremely disappointed with the brand. Fortunately for me there are plenty of upscale alternatives.

On the positive side, the valet parking and bell staff did a great job, and Julie, the Pool Bar bartender, was awesome. More importantly, Julie knew how to make a perfect Dark and Stormy (thanks Julie). The Concierges were very very helpful with a number of our requests (odd and otherwise), and the entire staff with a few exceptions were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Frankly, (and sadly) stay somewhere else.
1  Thank Michael W
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at the Casa Marina resort for our 10th anniversary in July. The staff was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and accomodating. The beach at this hotel is not really much of a swimming beach. there are nice quality lounge chairs, umbrellas, palm trees and hammocks along the upper beach to enjoy the view of the ocean, but there is too much lower beach seaweed and rocks to really enjoy swimming. At this point, it is probably worth saying that none of the hotels really has an amazing swimming beach and that is typically not why people come to or enjoy Key West. The Reach and the Southernmost hotel is on the nicest beach near a hotel, but it is a public beach so you don't have to stay there to access them. In fact, guests of the casa marina can use the Reach Resort because it is a sister property. If you want a beach day while you are there, bike or drive to ft. zachary tailor park, which has the best beach on the island (hands down). we checked them all out and spent an afternoon at the ft.

There are two nice pools at the hotel with nice lounge chairs.

We didn't eat at the hotel so we can't comment on that.

we had a Flagler king ocean view room. this is in the original building and had wonderful character. the room was spacious and well appointed. the bathroom was REALLY small, though. I would never normally comment on the size of a bathroom as I am fine with almost any size, but this bathroom wouldn't even hold two people at the same time unless someone was in the shower. I don't think this should ever be a deal breaker, but something that is pertinent. The property has jet skis, catamarans, bicycles, etc. for rent. I HIGHLY recommend you rent a bike for your entire stay. this is pretty much how everyone gets around. you park them at the bike stand out front and then take off to visit the sites, which are ALL within easy biking distance. You never have to worry about paying to park or finding a spot. It's awesome! Regarding parking, like others have said, don't bother paying the self parking rate for the hotel as the street parking is plentiful and FREE. The money you save will help you pay for a bike! As far as restaurants are concerned - Southernmost cafe on the beach was by far our favorite for breakfast and lunch. The atmosphere and view could not be beat. you are basically sitting in a room without walls ON the beach. the breaze is always there, as well as the view. we actually ate here three times in 4 days. We also enjoyed Blue Heaven for dinner (make reservations if you can). We spent our anniversary at Lattitudes on Sunset key, which was AMAZING! You pick up the free boat shuttle from the Westin in Key west near Mallory Square and take a 5 minute boat ride to the island. the restaurant is just off the dock. when making a reservation, plan to overlap sunset and ask for an outdoor table "on the sand." This experience cannot be topped.

The location of this hotel is good. You do need to walk or bike to the action on Duval street, but it is short and a nice walk/ride. If you need to stumble home drunk to a hotel adjacent to Duval street, this may not be the place for you.

5  Thank estabrks
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We booked a Casa Grande Ocean Vista room for 3 nights for roughly $450 a night with taxes. Self-parking was an additional $19/night and valet was $29/night but we just street parked for free. Long story short: Overpriced, too far from any action, poor upkeep, poor food, nice beach.
Upon arrival the hotel is very nice in appearance. Main area is clean and modern. Up keep is impeccable in the main areas. I was very excited to see the room after being so impressed with the lobby. Unfortunately the room (242) was average. The view was really nice (Ocean front) but the lanai needs some work. The paint is chipping in areas and the lounge chairs and dividers (which are white) have mold stains on them. The mini fridge did a poor job at keeping anything cold. The window and lanai door leaked (a lot) during a rain storm. The shower leaked badly due to poor engineering. Needless to say we used most of our towels/wash clothes just to sop up rain/shower water. Other than that the rooms were pretty large and comfortable.
There are hammocks on the beach as well as a fire pit and two large swimming pools. The beach is rocky in front of the hotel but becomes a nice sandy beach if you go further down to the right. The beach service is excellent with gentleman setting up chairs, umbrellas and towels. They offer fruity ice water all day so you don't have to run up to your room for a cold drink.
Room service menu is overpriced and the food is subpar. We preferred to go to The Southernmost Café during our stay.
The concierges are fabulous and have coupons for area restaurants and can set you up with any activity you like. Beach staff was also wonderful. Always happy and very helpful. Front desk staff was average. The maid service came really late (like 3pm) which was odd but whatever.
Here is what bothers me the most……We had reservations for additional nights at La Te Da Hotel on Duval Street after our check out at Casa Marina so that we could be closer to the night life for a while. La Te Da rooms were just as nice and spacious, with a much more intimate experience and a free breakfast in their resteraunt. (Not some cheapo breakfast either….table service with juice, coffee, eggs, meat, French toast, etc ) The pool is right outside your door with lush landscaping giving it that jungle feel. A night at La Te Da cost me only $151 with taxes!!!
Basically after seeing both of these places and knowing the difference I paid between the two; I would never return to Casa Marina. Yes the beach is nice but not for an additional $300 a night. I feel that the Casa Marina is overpriced and needs better upkeep.

2  Thank LandLockedMermaidTif
Waldorfkeywest, Front Office Manager at Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

We are extremely sorry the resort did not meet your expectations. If you would like to discuss your stay please contact me at mabennett@luxuryresorts.com.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

This is my second time at the Casa Marina, Key West and it just continues to be bliss..pure bliss. All the staff are welcoming, accommodating and will make sure your vacation is a memorable one! While u r there please take advantage of all the water sports at the resort and treat ur self to a massage on the beach. t's truly a fabulous resort on a paradise island and you don't even need to leave the USA.

Room Tip: book the Ocean Vista Room- 1st floor- u will be facing the ocean, have a balcony, and walk on access...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Trish V
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and i recently went to the Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina in Key West Florida and I have to say it did not live up to the "Waldorf" experience we have so enjoyed at other Waldorf hotels. The staff was not very helpful at all. By the pool we waited for 10min and no one asked if we wanted towels to lay on, finally my husband had to hunt someone down to even ask where the towels were. At night it was raining and when it finally stopped we decided to go down by the pool where they have fire pits. The cushions on the chairs were of course wet from the rain so we were just standing there deciding what to do when one of the staff came over and said you can sit but the fire pit doesn't work, so we said thats fine we just want to sit he said nothing and walked away. Another girl cam over and said go sit but take off the cushions if you want. Not to sound rude but we are on vacation. The answer should have been wait one minute let me take those cushions off so you both can sit. I mean it's not like we are staying at the days inn, when Im staying at a hotel where i'm paying over $400 a night i do expect to have certain things done and be accommodated in a certain way. That along with the fact that the toilet in the room wasn't working, we called and no one ever came to fix it. When we got back to the room my husband had to fix the toilet cause if he hadn't we wouldn't be able to sleep from the noise. The next day was no better, we went to the pool only for there to be maintenance being done on the tree's. There was debris flying all over us, and mice running past my feet. It was a mess! My husband and I always stay at a Waldorf resort if there is one in the city we are staying, it has always been our number one choice. After this experience I have to say it is no longer going to be on our list!

Room Tip: We had a king suite and it was pretty small. I did have a chance to see a regular room and it was ev...
1  Thank StacieL2011