“Best work trip ever!”

Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Best work trip ever!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

The place is a bit pricey, but as I always say, "You get what you pay for!". My friends and I were treated like queens! The food was pretty good although Duval Street is so close and all of Downtown Key West has great food for lower prices. No need to rent a car. Taxis are cheap and you can rent bikes, too! On the beach, the staff would spritz us down, give us frozen cucumbers on our eyes and frozen rolled up washcloths to cool ourselves down. They also cleaned our sunglasses. The room was pretty nice, but the beach and pools were superior. A few of my favorite staff are Mark, Constantine and Daniel around the beach. Lisa, the server at the pool was very helpful and accommodating. LOVE that they have an adults only pool for those of us who like peace and quiet! Carlos at the front desk had a great sense of humor. My biggest complaint was that the wifi sucked! Unless you were in the conference room it would continue to kick off and make you log on again. Regardless, we would all go back to this resort in a heartbeat!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,445)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stunning, like a dream. This resort is impressive from the moment you exit your vehicle and encounter a very welcoming, professional bellman through every dining experience to check-out. The staff doesn't miss a beat. The lobby is beautiful with elegant décor and rich wood tones. Front Desk Agents are professional, efficient and confident. The process was quick and seamless.

We stayed in room 1036, a King Suite with Direct Oceanfront. It was decorated In soft earth tones, very modern and comfortable. The room was only feet from the beach and the balcony was private and comfortable. During our time at Casa Marina, we enjoyed peace and tranquility. No loud housekeeping carts, noise from nearby guests, blaring televisions, ice machines - nothing but the sound of soft waves and the crowing of the roosters who occupy Key West (I loved them!).

Dining at Casa Marina is an experience in itself. Every meal, even a simple salad, was so flavorful and so beautifully presented. My husband and I shared the most romantic dinner of our married life, dining just a few feet from the water on their beautiful dock. It was nothing short of magical . The atmosphere literally brought tears to my eyes. The breakfast buffet offered a variety of fruit, smoothies, parfaits, breakfast meat, pastries and omelets. Everything was prepared and presented to perfection.

There are two pools - one adult and one for children, Although every seat was taken, the area was peaceful and relaxing. Attendants were prompt and so very helpful. Delicious popsicles are served poolside, Try their Pina Colada with rum and blackstrap molasses!

I just can't express how beautiful this resort is. After seeing all there is to see in Key West, I'd have to say I'd make the trip again if for nothing other than a few magical days at Casa Marina.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to reserve a suite overlooking the pool area; it is absolutely beautiful!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sarah F, Front Office Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Casa Marina on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere and fabulous dining here at the Casa Marina. We look forward to seeing you soon on a return stay!

Sarah Franks
Front Desk Manager
iowa
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I came here due to CME conference. The location was fantastic. Gorgeous resort and beach. The pool and beach staff were incredible and attended to your every need. Especially Mark, Daniel, Constantine, and Lisa. The only issue was once I went to the bar to order a coke, and waited about 5 minutes and there was 2-3 staff there & not one of them even acknowledged I was there, so I left. Carlos at the front desk was very very pleasant as well during check in and check out. The grounds were immaculate. The food at the hotel restaurants was also very very good. The rooms were a bit small and not what I would expect for the rate that I paid. But overall the experience was very good. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

This is an update to the review I already posted, just to say again how incredible is the staff at this hotel. Specifically Lisa by the pool, Carlos at the front desk, Mark, Constantine and Daniel on the beach--they are all hard working and deserve huge tips! I've traveled a lot, and have stayed in many different types of accommodations, but I've never received the kind of luxurious customer service as I did at this hotel!

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

A little pricey but a really nice hotel
Amazing decor
It's the oldest hotel on key west but well renovated (recently) and well maintained.
Rooms had espresso coloured hard wood floor, very comfortable beds, and a Nespresso coffee machine for free.
Bottles Water in the room was free.
Has one of the best beaches in the island. Sand beach. Cabana boys fetch you chairs and towels
Drinks and food ordered & delivered to you on the beach
Food is very good (fish tacos are great)
Was over $300 a night
We met a couple that stayed at Southernmost hotel (a B&B).
Thy paid $150 for a two storey suite, a balcony and full breakfast.
So there are better deals but then you won't have access to the best beaches (Waldorf Astoria Casa Marina and Reach... Sister properties)
Try Santiago Botega's Tapas menu, as well as Le Mazon de Pepe (real Cuban food) and def checkout Better Than Sex (all dessert restaurant... The jungle fever chocolate dessert is killer)
Date night? Try Cafe Marquesa. Order the apps.. Try 3 or 4 of them. Fantastic. Entrees very big
And if you like oysters, check out Half Shell Raw Bar between 430-630 (1/2 price happy hour... 12 oysters for $6!)

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference on site. First off, they need more staff. Rooms weren't cleaned till late in the afternoon, and we waited a long time at the restaurant. On one occasion we waited at the bar for over 5 min and no one acknowledged us, so we left.

Now--that being said, the staff they DO have is amazing and they are working their butts off. Everyone was helpful and went out of their way to accommodate us. We laid on the beach in the afternoons and there are plenty of chairs; the beach attendants will bring you towels and pretty much anything you ask for. Mark on the beach came by with cleaner for our sunglasses and a cool mist for our feet--not something you get at the Days Inn! Mid afternoon Popsicles and frozen eucalyptus towels made me feel like I was in heaven.

The facilities are a bit worn--carpet is dirty in the hallways and the elevators look ancient--but it appeared they were working on it. I'm not sure if I would stay here if it weren't for the conference, but I sure enjoyed it while I was here!

1 Thank Coby S
Destrehan, Louisiana
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This trip to Key West and Casa Marina was among our best trips ever. This lovely, stately. historic hotel is the queen of Key West. The beach, with its grove of palm trees and hammocks, is second to none. We had a wonderful Ocean View room and balcony so we could soak in Key West each morning, at twilight, an into the evening. While pricey, we were on vacation and this was a unique experience; worth the memories. We dined on the beach, on the pool deck, and on our balcony... all were lovely. No doubt you can find a more economical way to see Key West but none better than this one.

By the way, don't miss the opportunity to see Key West by jet ski. Jojo and the Barefoot Billy's team were wonderful as they took very good care of first timers on jet skis. It was among the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family