“Best brunch ever”

Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Meriden, Connecticut
“Best brunch ever”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Came here for Christmas Day brunch and boy was it fantastic! It was $54/pp and included a coconut/butternut squash soup, salads, breads and flavored buttered, lots of seafood choices (oysters, shrimp, jumbo crab legs) assorted sides (veggies, potatoes), meats included garlic chicken, ham, pork lion, tasty pizzas, huevos rancheros station, kids options (pizza, Mac and cheese, fries, chicken tenders) desserts included 3 types of cannoli, key lime pie, tortes and ice cream station. Service was wonderful and the grounds were beautiful. Would not hesitate to eat here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,446)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Branford, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I've been coming to the Casa Marina for 15 years. The Waldorf has modernized the grounds in a good way. The hotel is huge I've stayed in all the different buildings and enjoyed the variety. The hotel is clean. The wait staff terrific.

Oddly, our stay got worse and worse though. We stayed in the East Wing, 3rd floor and discovered the adjoining room door created a paper thin walls effect, so we've been treated to screaming kids early every morning, with that group being replaced by some loud drunks.

The Concierge seemed only interested in in increasing their tour bookings. Once they had my money they became very uninterested in us. I had an expensive dilemma settled in the hotel's favor by them. I booked four single jet ski rides, only to have my later arriving family decline. I used two of the four, and moved the unused tours to another day. Sadly, the wind ruined the last half of our circumnavigation, blinding everyone, throwing my back out on the high chop, and leaving us all freezing, everyone agreed the ride was nasty. That's the breaks.

I went to cancel the unused rides and was fought tooth and nail by a passive aggressive head concierge. The ski shack people said it didn't make sense not to refund our nearly $300 US, but the concierge intervened to make sure my refund was cancelled.

By moving the rides back two days I'd inadvertently run afoul of their 24 hour cancellation policy, which was interpreted very literally by the concierge. I should have cancelled the day of our first tour, thus the clock had run out and I'm out $270 US. I've never seen a less friendly concierge staff anywhere.

Good luck and enjoy the Keys!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank John D
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I frequently see the cliché, about meeting ones expectations. Sorry to say this place does not. I was disappointed. We have been Hilton Honors members for years and have really enjoyed the luxury of staying at Hilton Hotels around the country. We are generally treated like gold (we are diamond). We rack up points by paying for everything we can with our American express credit card. Casa Marina does not compare well to the other Hiltons. Sadly I think they know it. This is Key West and paying through the nose for second rate is common if not expected. Were it not for the points I don’t think we would have stayed there. There are some charming Bed and Breakfast places we walked by.

We were out in the boondocks, far away from the entrance. That I can forgive, but our room was nothing special. We had asked for some information from the front desk, didn’t happen, we had asked for information from the concierge, didn’t happen. It was our anniversary and we had requested a King bed, no such luck. In the morning I asked if there was coffee available, the coffee maker was moldy. They said no, but they would send up a cup, it didn’t happen. The coffee at the bar in the lobby was $4.00. We walked to Frenchies, well worth it. The breakfast at the Hotel was overpriced, just like most of Key West. The broken promises just piled up. It is just the little stuff that gets to you.

I noticed that no one was swimming at the beach; it was cold and rocky. If one expects a nice beach think about Cancun. We lay around the swimming pool and drank oversized Mojitos. It was nice. I tried to figure out the Key West mystic. I am trying to see Hemmingway and Jimmy Buffet in their prime. Out taxi driver told us about conch nation from years ago when cocaine smuggling was rampant. The driver had come from Minnesota with the dream of fishing. Now he drives a taxi. There seems to be a back wash of people lost in the eddies of dreams gone bad. We saw groups of skinny bearded old men on rusty bicycles. We went by trailer parks where the detritus of tropical exuberance had fallen and blown into drifts beside the dilapidated single wide. I don’t get it.

We watched the fire eaters at Mallory square and heard the sad street musician’s happy little ditties. We bought a tee shirt at the Hog’s Breath saloon, another at Sloppy Joes and dinned at a tiny Cuban restaurant. It was loud and boisterous on Duval Street, like Bourbon Street in New Orleans. We took a taxi both to and from the hotel, there is no place to park and I am in no shape for that long of a hot sweaty walk. It was around $10.00, but worth it. I don’t know where to stay in Key West, I am sure one can do worse.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank fenthor
Somerset, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 December 2013

First let me say that I read and read and read reviews on hotels before I finally choose one and book it and then I worry and second-guess myself a thousand times before my trip.

Also let me add that I dinker with travel dates. I change my travel plans and check rates from one week to the next and every day in between. It does make a difference because although the Casa Marina is out of our price range, it was double the price per person for the next week of travel that we ended up booking.

I chose this place because it was one of the few resorts in Key West and I prefer the resorts over the hotels because I don't have to leave the property for anything if I don't want to so if I pay more for the trip, it is worth it to me in the long run.

We arrived early and 1 room was ready and the front desk said that the 2nd room would be ready shortly and that they would call us. No problem. We put our bags in grandma's room and went out in the sun. About an hour later, I was worried that maybe we missed their call so I just checked in with the front desk even though by their policy they still did not have to check us in as we were still early. He said our room was still not ready but if we didn't need to be in a room right next to grandma he could check us in. I said that was fine and so we got into a room on the same floor and that was fine, Neither room faced the ocean which always sucks when on vacation but the rooms were nice. The 2nd room was a handicapped room so really spacious It was right next to elevator and across from ice machine but that never seemed to be a problem and I HATE loud noises. BUT I had read other reviews and so I had brought along a big box of ear plugs for all of us. I think it made a huge difference for all of us and I recommend it.

I never encountered a single rude employee. I like to people watch and those workers were busy and worked their behinds off. From the front desk to the bartenders and servers to the H2O workers who really are aware, friendly and helpful. We don't drink a lot of alcohol but for reviewers who say the servers on the beach are slow I say that they have a lot of ground to cover so relax or go get your own drink!

We like to be left alone on our vacations and put the do not disturb sign on the door the entire stay no matter where we are. The staff were respectful of this and would just call every couple of days to ask if there was anything we needed. We kept up with emptying our garbage and picked up the room before we left and I am sure our room was easier to clean than some people leave it after 1 night.

The Casa is beautiful, classy and clean. The pools are perfect. The beach is clean.

My only minor complaints would be that there should be a policy about people not being able to save the hammocks and the restaurant food is quite bland. Honestly the worst omelette I have ever ordered. The bar/pool food is much better.

Again, this was above our price range and a splurge but we biked a lot and after seeing some of the other choices that I had considered, I was thrilled with my choice. I also recommend renting bikes especially since they are right there. I HATE walking and would have been hot and mad and crabby if I had had to walk from this particular hotel all the way down Duval to Mallory Square.

A lot of restaurants deliver so I printed their menus at home since I wasn't bringing my computer with and the front desk just calls you when your food arrives. (I recommend Sandy's Cafe and get the Sandy)

I hope this helps someone who is on the fence about this place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank creativemisfit
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is one of the few places that has a beach in Key West & it’s not a great beach (shallow, algae, etc.). There is a beautiful pool, but I prefer swimming in the ocean. Hotel was pretty enough, but was just lacking something. Room (OCEAN VISTA KING LANAI) was very nice & comfortable though perhaps a bit uninspired, but it was nice to walk directly out to the beach area. Staff was ok, not great but nothing terrible.

Pets are permitted, but this is far from a dog friendly hotel as they are prohibited from going nearly anywhere on the property. They charge a fortune per night ($75 per night – a total rip-off) & don’t offer anything to go with it (no dog beds, no treats, etc.). The only plus is that they are a short walk from the dog beach (really small).

I really had a mediocre stay here, was frustrated by their outrageous pet fee as they are the least pet friendly hotel that I have stayed in and there were no real highlights. If I return to Key West, I will likely stay on the opposite side.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank roberta_nyc
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at Casa Marina for a wedding weekend. The property is beautiful and relaxing. Very comfortable bedding...slept like a baby. Breakfast buffet was yummy. I had a great stay. Would love to stay again if I can find a good deal on the room pricing.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LilTeach
West Palm Beach
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I booked a Hhonors award for a free night. Specifically booked a king size bed--my preferences include high floor, away from elevator. Arrived at hotel and was greeted by very friendly front desk manager who was so happy to tell me I had been "upgraded" to a view of the pool. When I got to the room, I discovered two small beds and the room was the closest to elevator--actually shared a wall with the elevator shaft so I heard the "swooshing" up and down throughout the whole stay. Of course, I promptly went back to the front desk and asked for a change and was told that they were sold out and that was the only room they had. So, "upgrade" really meant, "no matter that you booked a king size bed months ago, we've put you where it is convenient for us."

Needless to say it was quite frustrating. To help make up for it, the front desk manager:
1) told me she would credit my HHonors account for the points that I used on the stay. and 2) went to the gift shop to get ear plugs for my partner and me. I thought both gestures were fair and I appreciated them.

The hotel property is very nice. The ocean and pool areas are laid out well and definitely give the feel of a high end resort. The staff, from cleaning crew to door staff, bellman, etc. are all very friendly and quick to greet every person in the hotel.

While we didn't eat a meal at the hotel, from what we aw when we walked through, the food appears to be very appetizing.

I look forward to returning to the hotel sometime to enjoy the room we actually booked. Given my experience there, I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Call to confirm about 3 days before to be sure you aren't "upgraded" like I was. The f...