As for the hotel, I've stayed in nicer Waldorf's. I will list a bunch of issues for you that I will be sending to the manager before I post to TripAdvisor, but this place just always was just one step from "getting it right", if you know what I mean. Maybe I am permanently spoiled after staying at places like Jumby Bay and the Ritz in Tokyo, but I think I know what one should get with a Waldorf property.
The kids loved Key West! Great place for families with older kids (17,20,22). Restaurants were great (see my Yelp) and we had a ball jet skiing and scuba diving. New year's eve in Key West is over the top! Highlight was watching the dropping of the drag queen in a giant red shoe at midnight! We took a sunset sailboat cruise on America 2.0 and it was worth every penny.
Buffet breakfast was awesome
Jet ski trip was a highlight even for my wife!
Beach boys were very helpful
Sheets and pillows were plush and plenty of towels!
Scuba company was top notch
Rooms were nice, yet housekeeping was spotty.
Our rooms were not ready for check in until 4pm for one and 5:30p on the other. They gave us no reason until pressed and I was told that "virtuoso guests" got to check out at 4pm and so we had to wait. I then complained and got a $75 credit for my troubles and a 4pm check out myself.
It rained for 2 days and there was only one umbrella between the 2 rooms with none to be found anywhere on property.
Mattress had squeaky rusty springs (embarrassing!) I know, TMI.
Lack of vegetarian options at the hotel restaurants was was a bother for my daughter.
The wifi signal didn't reach the pool or beach.
The lobby bar, usually a great feature of any hotel, was poorly staffed on numerous occassions.
The concierge desk was rarely helpful and actually confused quite often. They seemed overwhelmed by the holiday traffic.
The beach had tons of smelly seaweed wash up every morning and instead of removing it they just raked it and left it in a HUGE pile nearby to smell for those of us down wind, which was where our rooms were.
While we didn't watch much TV in the room, it had terrible reception and was not HD.
Our room had a view of the next door neighbors balcony at two feet away! This would not have been a problem had they given us ajoining rooms like I requested, but my kids were in the room across the hall. I thought we had reserved connecting rooms and we needed a rollaway bed for the 3rd kid, but not only were they unaware of our request but they could not accommodate on either request.
The hallways of the hotel were extremely dark and not well lit.
Garbage remained in the halls and outside of the elevators for hours and hours almost every day, which was odd.
I know that I sound like I am complaining, but I am really not. We enjoyed our vacation and would probably go back, but next time with eyes wide open.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This Mediterranean-inspired hotel sits on a 1,100-foot private beach a mile from Duval Street. Our historic beachfront resort combines 1920s ambiance with a chic, contemporary flair, features sophisticated accommodations, complete with LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, and an in-room espresso, coffee, and tea maker. Amenities include: two tropical pools, water-sports activities, spa services, poolside cabanas, Sun/Sun Bar & Grill serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and The Lobby Lounge for tapas and libations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hilton Hotels Direct, Prestigia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marina, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Key West
- Waldorf Astoria Key West
- The Waldorf Astoria Collection
- Casa Marina Resort Key West
- Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Florida