Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Enjoyable high end hotel in Key West”

Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 7 January 2014

As for the hotel, I've stayed in nicer Waldorf's. I will list a bunch of issues for you that I will be sending to the manager before I post to TripAdvisor, but this place just always was just one step from "getting it right", if you know what I mean. Maybe I am permanently spoiled after staying at places like Jumby Bay and the Ritz in Tokyo, but I think I know what one should get with a Waldorf property.
The kids loved Key West! Great place for families with older kids (17,20,22). Restaurants were great (see my Yelp) and we had a ball jet skiing and scuba diving. New year's eve in Key West is over the top! Highlight was watching the dropping of the drag queen in a giant red shoe at midnight! We took a sunset sailboat cruise on America 2.0 and it was worth every penny.

Good list:

Buffet breakfast was awesome
Jet ski trip was a highlight even for my wife!
Beach boys were very helpful
Sheets and pillows were plush and plenty of towels!
Scuba company was top notch
Rooms were nice, yet housekeeping was spotty.

Bad list:

Our rooms were not ready for check in until 4pm for one and 5:30p on the other. They gave us no reason until pressed and I was told that "virtuoso guests" got to check out at 4pm and so we had to wait. I then complained and got a $75 credit for my troubles and a 4pm check out myself.

It rained for 2 days and there was only one umbrella between the 2 rooms with none to be found anywhere on property.

Mattress had squeaky rusty springs (embarrassing!) I know, TMI.

Lack of vegetarian options at the hotel restaurants was was a bother for my daughter.

The wifi signal didn't reach the pool or beach.

The lobby bar, usually a great feature of any hotel, was poorly staffed on numerous occassions.

The concierge desk was rarely helpful and actually confused quite often. They seemed overwhelmed by the holiday traffic.

The beach had tons of smelly seaweed wash up every morning and instead of removing it they just raked it and left it in a HUGE pile nearby to smell for those of us down wind, which was where our rooms were.

While we didn't watch much TV in the room, it had terrible reception and was not HD.

Our room had a view of the next door neighbors balcony at two feet away! This would not have been a problem had they given us ajoining rooms like I requested, but my kids were in the room across the hall. I thought we had reserved connecting rooms and we needed a rollaway bed for the 3rd kid, but not only were they unaware of our request but they could not accommodate on either request.

The hallways of the hotel were extremely dark and not well lit.

Garbage remained in the halls and outside of the elevators for hours and hours almost every day, which was odd.

I know that I sound like I am complaining, but I am really not. We enjoyed our vacation and would probably go back, but next time with eyes wide open.

Room Tip: Get a room at the EAST end of the hotel away from the jet skis!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jimmy-the-G-man
There are newer reviews for Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Our second time staying at the Casa Marina is better than ever. The staff is excellent and so helpful. Special thanks to Mark Gray and his staff at Barefoot Billy's who was extremely accommodating and helpful. They are always there to make sure we are having a great time. The Casa Marina is also great for kids. My nine year old loves this place. Thanks to Vivian, who coordinated all the kids activities during our stay, my son was kept busy and entertained everyday. The beach is steps away and the pier is a great place to see the sun set. The location of the resort is excellent, just a short walk away from great restaurants and Duval Street. It is not necessary to have a car. The sister hotel next door The Reach is also very nice and we were able to enjoy that property as well. Although a bit pricey, I don't think there's a place that can surpass this amazing property. We cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are good. If you can get a balcony, it is worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Steven T, Manager at Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Sui Z,

Thank you for the great review! We all really love having you stay with us and are so happy you keep coming to see us. I will be sure to let Mark and Vivian know that they helped make your stay special. You are truly one of our valued guests and we can't wait to see you again. Patrick and I will be excited to see you when you come back. Please contact me ahead of time if there is anything I can do.

Steve

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at the Casa Marina over Christmas and we enjoyed every moment. This historic resort has an elegant lobby and beautiful grounds...the private beach, larger than we anticipated, is perfect for soaking up the sun or sitting in the shade of a palm tree. If the beach isn't your thing, there are plenty of other activities to keep your party active throughout a stay - jet-skiing, bike rentals, a nice fitness center, etc. Dining on the terrace or the tasteful dining room for breakfast was simply a delight. The resort is in a more quiet part of town –– a short walk or bike ride to Duval Street. My only complaint was the service at lunch by the pool on the day we arrived was very slow (at least for a Waldorf property). Other than that, everything was perfect! In our opinion, it is the best hotel in the Keys!

Room Tip: The rooms are tiny. If possible, get an ocean view suite.
1  Thank travelermarie63
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I expected a quality property with a quiet suite. The reality is that parents take suites and put their kids in the living room. What you get is a dressed up version of a Disney family vacation spot. So if lots of rug rats making a ruckus around the pool and crying, yelling, etc. bleeding in from the rooms above and next door are your thing, then this is for you. Otherwise, book elsewhere. They do not enforce the adult only pool rule around year-end. Most of the suites have connecting doors so you get to experience whatever kid noises are next door. One would expect better for almost $600 a night . What a crushing disappointment. The front desk personnel try to be understanding, but this place is too overrun with kids for them to really make a difference. It is an absolutely lovely location, but I do not want spend my vacation listening to kids so we will go somewhere else next year.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank michael f
Sarah F, Front Office Manager at Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

We appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Casa Marina Resort. If you would like to discuss your stay please contact me at sarah.franks@waldorfastoria.com for personalized service. It is the feedback of guests such as you that assist us in our continual improvement, and we have shared your feedback in regards to your expectations of Waldorf Astoria Resorts with our management team.
Sarah Franks
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This would be a great three or even a four star hotel in real ratings. Blackstone clearly took advantage of the brand by forcing their owned hotel into the top tier of the Hilton Family of hotels after they bought Hilton. Too bad for the other real Waldorf Astoria properties that keep the standards. No restaurant inside. Breakfast is served in the ballroom. There is no spa but a couple of massage tables in a two bedroom suite with no decoration. Staff is sweet. The location is amazing which is why it can pretend to be a top rated hotel. Evelyn the Front Office Manager is amazing and professional with the perfect attitude. Easy walking distance to Duval.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jbmacq
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The guys at the activity center at the Casa Marina, and the activities themselves were terrific. The jet ski tour and the mopeds were so much fun. The bikes were great. The staff provided instruction and smiles. They made up for what lacked at the resort. The beach and pool area were very nice but the rooms were terrible. The spa is a joke. I think this resort would benefit from a good facelift and a real spa.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Thank you for your comments. We are very pleased you enjoyed our beautiful setting and friendly service. We have shared your feedback regarding the property with our management team, and we will continually strive to improve our facilities to enhance the experience of you and other guests for future stays.
Sarah Franks
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We spent 3 nights at Casa in December, and it was the best hotel experience of our lives! Casa is absolutely amazing in every way. The service is top notch. The location is great. The beach is fabulous. Two pools (one for families and kids, the other for adults). The grounds are great. If you want an umbrella, one of the beach guys comes with a drill and installs it for you. We will be returning here again! #1 place to stay in Key West for sure!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple