“Thin walls”

Ranked #40 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Saint George
“Thin walls”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

You hear every noise from the rooms next to you. If you are a sound sleeper the hotel is outstanding. The grounds are beautiful and the food is delicious. Hotel is close to Hemmingway's house and Duvall Street. A lot of great restaurants are within walking distance.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank rjnewby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,411)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We spent a lovely 4 days at the Casa Marina Resort in Key West. Our room was spacious with a great ocean view! The appointments were lovely and the staff very helpful, always gracious. Located at the southern end of Key West, away from the bustle and noise of Duval Street yet close enough to enjoy all that Key West has to offer.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Beautiful hotel with a great pool and beach atmosphear.. Staff is very attentive and we would definately go back. The only issue was a double room vs. a king room for my wife and I... Not sure if we really were taken care of when it came down to a switch or even an upgrade offer.....never got the chance.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Lynnwood, United States
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is a beautiful property. The rooms are very stylish and the view is amazing. The beach so gorgeous. They offer sunset cruises from their dock and it was our favorite activity. I thought the food was excellent and location convenient to everything we wanted to do. I will be returning again!!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Traveled to Key West and stayed at the Casa Marina with my mother who is in a wheelchair. Besides it being a beautiful hotel, the staff was very helpful and our stay was quite enjoyable. Yes, you can stay in Key West on a tighter budget elsewhere, but I wanted the ease of the location, the modern facility and accessibility for my mother. I made the right investment for our situation. The food was very expensive at the hotel, but it WAS delicious. Sadly the weather did not cooperate so we missed out on the opportunity to lay out pool side. If you have a larger budget for travel, I would highly recommend a stay at Casa Marina!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had had fabulous stay at the resort. Constantine treated us especially well catering to us poolside each day. What an extremely friendly and hard working young man. Constantine and Bob were literally running at times taking care of guests both on the beach and at the pool; and always with a smile. Front desk staff was polite and helpful. Our room was clean and quite comfortable. Wish we would have gotten the lanai though. Bike rental is conveniently located on site. Great location near Duval. It was perfect for our girls long weekend.

• Stayed February 2014
Sarah F, Front Office Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
AngelaFMiller,
We appreciate you taking the time to review the Casa Marina on TripAdvisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed your girls getaway with us! We will pass along the positive feedback about Constantine and Bob, and will recognize them for providing outstanding service. We look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay.
Sarah Franks, Front Desk Manager
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Let me preface this by saying, we had taken a red eye to Miami from Los Angeles, and then proceeded to drive the long but beautiful (and what I would also highly recommend) highway for several hours. We arrived before the posted check in time and the front desk advised us that we would be allowed to check in once the rooms were clean. After a couple of hours of trying not to pass out on the comfy couches in the lobby, we had our room key in hand.

Upon boarding the small elevator we moved for about 10 seconds when abruptly it stopped. I made my best attempts at manipulating the buttons on the panel and upon realizing we wouldn't go anywhere else, called for help.

The entire ordeal lasted about 45 minutes on top of the long day and the Key West Fire Department was kind enough to rescue us via a panel on the elevator ceiling and short hop up around the cables and back to solid ground outside the elevator shaft.

The hotel was nice enough to surprise us with a "sorry!" note, a box of chocolates, and a bottle of champagne in our room that evening to make up for the rough start.

The long story aside, I still gave them 4 stars because the rooms were cozy, the staff all polite and attentive. The pool, warm and peaceful (adults only as I did not check out the all ages side), and the Caribbean sunlight. While I mention the pool, I must say I love the idea of having an open tab all day at the bar/pool service that is automatically closed with tip. This saves you the annoyance and worry taking care of that detail and lets you really relax.

Also the property is beautifully decorated and landscaped. It is a short walk to many interesting things, beautiful beaches, quite corners, and the entertainment side of town. I enjoyed how it was just far enough away from the busy Duval street to be serene, but also easily accessible.

The reasons I did not rate it 5 stars are as follows: After being trapped in an elevator I would have expected the on-duty manager to take my phone call (which they ignored while I was in the elevator trapped with my significant other). Being trapped itself I do not hold them accountable as all machines will fail from time to time. And even more so, the only person to greet us with the fire department after the rescue was a member of hotel security. I would say that Jim, who talked to me on the phone did an excellent job reassuring us and talking to me while we awaited help in the small box, but now knowing he is not the manager I am disappointed that they did not step up and take responsibility and show face.

The other reason is the beach. Although they tout a private beach, it is rocky and full of algae and other things. And once again, even though this is natures doing, I feel it's not really fair to advertise that as a perk when it's not. If you want to lay out in the sand however, then it's perfect.

In summary, I would still go back to Casa Marina, and in fact, it was a fun memorable trip. I would recommend it for any couple or someone looking for a relaxed stay.

TL;DR Management is absent, everyone is nice, still one of the best options on the island for a resort trip.

1 Thank PositiveRate23