“Gorgeous resort, great pool, lobby, gift shop and bellhop staff- horrible waiting and bar tender staff”

Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Waterbury, Vermont
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The location of this resort and building itself are absolutely gorgeous! Whether you want to lay by the pool and watch the ocean or lay on the beach itself either are at your disposal! The pool boys, house cleaning, lobby and gift shop staff are wonderful! Bar tenders and wait staff - what bar tenders and edit staff! We waited on ourself the entire 5 day stay with the exception of I've cute waitress who went above and beyond to ask us if we needed anything while we were sitting by the pool. Coming from a customer service background this was some of the worst customer service I've seen. Aside from this it's a great resort and offers a good package minus the snoody and rude bar tenders and wait staff!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Bruins625

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,434)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The is the best hotel at Key West for sure but it is not 5 star. Yes it has nice reception etc, nice grounds but lots of the rooms are outside the main hotel in a motel kind of style, the coffee shop was pretty basic, lunch was nice and very friendly staff but if you are expecting the five star experience then this will not meet it. So saying if that is what you want, don't go to Key West. V similar to Barbados, tropical and colonial. People generally friendly. Breakfast was very expensive but hey you get a good choice. Cheeca Resort and Spa on Islamorada is beautiful and better value for money. If I was going to the Keys that would be my first choice. Had 2 nice meals; one just off Duval St, one was Square One Restaurant, the other was on Duval St with some outdoor dining and an upstairs but forget the name. Both well worth a visit

Room Tip: Ask to be inside main hotel not shunted off to the 'motel' section
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BelmontLondon
Bainbridge, Georgia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had a great stay. We were there for three nights. The room was real nice. The pool was great. I like that they separate the adult pool from the family pool. The staff was great. Ellen did a good job in making the reservation for us. Stacey at the front desk had a great attitude. Sheila was terrific help. The kids really enjoyed themselves. It was not a long walk to Duval Street. The weather was super. I would recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Steven T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear jackie g,

We are so glad you enjoyed our beautiful property. Ellen, Sheila and Stacey will be very happy to know they could help make your stay memorable. We look forward to your next trip to Key West.

Steven Tresh
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,091 helpful votes
Reviewed 6 April 2014

You cannot discount the 1920's grand style of the outside area behind the hotel and on the beach. It's sheer size is palatial and impressive. The palm tree lined walkway is amazing with pools on both sides. 2 huge pools! Great menu at the pool outside restaurant. They have LOTS of hammocks hanging on the trees. The beds were VERY comfy, the room was very clean. We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, building sandcastles with the 4 of us right on the beach area with "Sand Isles". Located ON property- a- two and a half hour workshop teaching you the fundamentals of building sand sculptures. What a FUN family time THAT was!!! My 12 and 14 year olds will never forget it! Marianne is SO FUN. She let my kids pick 2 sculptures to build. The snack /gift shop had GREAT, GREAT choices. We loved the pastries, and the delicious natural oatmeal (in a cup from IL!) I checked their website- it's only sold to "coffee shops"- not nationally yet. That was super-yummy and really convenient for the parents of teenagers who sleep-in and don't want to get out of the room. The bed was AMAZING, a great night's sleep, for sure.

I would give 4 1/2 stars, if possible. I am giving 4 stars for the following reasons: The kids pool was "hot" in March and my kids complained. Our room was positioned a very far walk down an outside corridor (odd planning from when the building was built). I never noticed a nice restaurant, but I walked upon one of the conference rooms that they put a buffet in for brunch. (And they do have one with the other Waldorf a block away). If you want to "get away" more for adults, I would think this is a better place to stay since the location is not conveniently walkable to where the towns action is for the children, especially at night. I would not want to walk there from the warf at night. The last 5 blocks or so are just too quiet. I couldn't get the Nespresso machine to work. I unplugged it several times in several locations. I called twice (the first time she graciously offered to have them replace the machine) and the (VERY nice) lady told me that many people call up with questions only to realize a slight "design flaw" that the switch is at the back on the bottom- and is just a slightly raised toggle switch. I found it- had my coffee-yum! At the most hotels the coffee machine is just left "on". I didn't like that the gym was across the street. I went late at night and found it kind of creepy. The boy/girl bathroom is also
weird in that ONLY if you are completely sitting on the toilet you are hidden from the GIANT open window. So I am there alone, at night-the restroom light is Bright and there is no screen/toilet door to keep you from full view of that GIANT window. I found that to be another building design-flaw, as that building probably was not a gym when the hotel was built. The fitness center restroom needs window curtains for sure. As a plus, --late at night, the fresh apples were full (great!) the chilled water in the fridge was full (great!), plenty of rolled towels (nice!). However they should just throw-out the DUMPY furniture in the entry-way. It is awful. It would be better to have nothing there than that beat-up, old/tired stuff.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the main entry for a shorter walk for seniors or kids.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Patricia A
carte005
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We were in Key West for three nights for our anniversary. We were looking for a relaxing place to stay, but wanted to be close to the action too. The Casa Marina was perfect. The pools and beach are incredible. The wait staff was very attentive and brought you whatever you needed. We also really liked the location. It is walking distance from Duvall, but in a quieter area. We rented bikes right from the resort, which we really enjoyed. We used then to go out to breakfast each morning and explore the island.

I read some of the reviews before the trip and was a little nervous about our choice. After having been, we think this is the best hotel on the island.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank carte005
Steven T, Manager at Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear carte005,

Thank you for your outstanding review! We really appreciate it. Casa Marina can truly offer the best of both worlds and we are so glad you enjoyed it. We look forward to your next trip to Key West and will be very happy to see you at our resort.

Steven Tresh
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had high hopes for this hotel as it seems to be one of the nicest on Key West. It is very average, and not inexpensive. Most of the staff does try hard (front desk/ back desk). Pool service reminds me of being on a cheap cruise--although the service was mostly prompt, it was at times downright obnoxious. Upon giving a tip to one of the pool service guys he handed us a business card and told us to be sure we mention him by name on Trip Advisor! You do feel like there is an expectation of constant tipping for someone to put pool towels down on your lounge chair and we did not care for that. We would be happy to put our own towels out.

There are two separate pools--one for adults only which may appeal to some. There is little choice for food--only one restaurant to service the whole place, and it's outside. Brunch is expensive if you go for the all inclusive, but you're nearly forced to as the kitchen is ill prepared to handle separate hot orders. One day I ordered eggs benedict and it came out cold with only a shrug from the server. There is a sister hotel not far down the beach which has a steak house restaurant that is quite good but extremely pricey, and I'd recommend that. Other than that, if you're there for a week, the choice really is quite limited and gets old very fast. It's a bit gimmicky with this deal they have--buy a special cocktail shaker and then your drinks are discounted (only certain drinks). Felt a bit like spring break in college...

The location is not close to where the action is-which for many people is what they want. It is in a very peaceful area and we definitely preferred that. It's about a 20 minute walk (fast walk) to Duvall Street so if you care to venture out to restaurants you need to drive or take a cab if you're in nice dress clothes.

Had a serious problem with concierge--was told that our reservation for a boat was made only to get there (by walking with a baby and small child over 40 minutes) and find that no reservation was made at all. There was a lot of blame and back and forth about whose fault it was, and that personally left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I was, however, ultimately offered a small compensation which I do appreciate--I just wish that the "investigation" of what happened would have been more professional. I've been traveling for over 20 years and have used concierge services regularly. This was the first "misunderstanding" I've ever had...

That aside, the property is beautiful, the rooms are nice--ocean view rooms provide views NOT from the bedroom but from the main living area (if you have a suite) as the rooms are narrow and long so as many rooms as possible can have the view. However, when we sat on our balcony it was as if we were sitting on our own private beach.

The beach is nothing to speak of--it's manmade so if you're looking for long walks on the beach, you will not be able to do that.

Beds were fantastic, I must say.

All in all, not a bad place, but very Hilton-esque where you feel very mass market. I would possibly go back if I was in Key West but for no more than 2 nights. After that the shine wears off.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank EUtravelgal
Morgan Hill CA, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The two things I look for in a hotel is the location and brand. The location of the Casa Marina was great, the property was great, BUT - When I walked in the room, from first impressions, and ongoing, I was disappointed. There is NO way that this hotel, based on the room itself, should be branded a Waldorf. I have stayed in the Waldorf in Manhattan, and Waldorf should be embarrassed at calling this hotel a Waldorf from the condition of the room. The room was small, the amenities in the room were bare bone, the TV was small, the bathroom had no room for two people's toiletries. The furniture looked cheap, etc... Not to nitpick, but since you asked... we were in the elevator Tuesday or Wednesday and the floor had footprints and marks from wet or dirty feet or something smearing the floor. The next day, those prints/that dirty floor, was still there. I would think that as in most luxury hotels, especially one branded a Waldorf, the cleaning upkeep would be better. I definitely did NOT get the value for my money that I expected from a Waldorf.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple