“Half way Decent”

Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #40 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The beach waitress that serviced the beach today is the definition of why women make .77 cents to the dollar. I can tolerate poor service, but I can not stand rude service and that's how this women treated us today. Everything else about the hotel is decent (pool, rooms, food).

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank BigELLO3
Write a ReviewReviews (7,388)

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed at resort for 4 nights in an oceanview balcony room. Was there for business but wife came as annivarsary was close. Hats of the staff. Manager Steve T really hooked us up nice. I dn't know why people slamthis place. I have stayed at Ritz Carltons before and this is just as nice with a great, friendly staff. The rooms are kind of basic, nothing to special but everything else was top notch.

Ocean view balcony was great. Wll worth the upgrade if you can afford it. We slept with our big sliding glass door open to hear the waves and wind as we slept. very relaxing. The resort has 2 huge beautiful pool The adult pool was key (we left our 12 and 10 year olds at home!) wait staff at the pool were freindly and attentive, not overbearing. The beach/pool boys were great. They would always find you a seat and umbrella, even if it was crawed. (I have stayed at Ritz Carltons before if you don't get to pool by 8:00 am, no way your getting a seat and pool boys do nothing to help you). The beach was very nice, had huge comfy hammocks which with the waves put you to sleep in seconds. The only downsided to beach is you could walk right in, too rocky. They have a peir (maybe 40 feet) you walk out on and you can go in, but not ideal situation.

Staff was extremely friendly and always helpful The front desk to the waters, bartenders, conciege, even the bus boys in the restaurant were always smiling and nice.

I would come back in a heart beat ... with or without my kids. Great place

Room Tip: ocean view balcony are beautiful, ask for top floor (4th floor) best view
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The Casa Marina Resort used to be a Marriott product. A few years ago the Hilton (using the Waldorf goodwill) rebranded it a "Waldorf" product.
The result is unclean and over-priced rooms.
C'mon, $10 for wifi (that you can't access by the pool or the guest rooms), $3.25 self serve coffee.......and I haven't even seen what the charge will be for parking, yet.
Where's William Marriott when you need him?
Adios, Casa Marina!

Room Tip: Do not, under any circumstances, stay in the "new" section. Opt for the older rooms in the...
2  Thank Christopher M
Steven T, Manager at Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Christopher M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback about your experience. We are dedicated to providing our guests with the best amenities and superb service, and will review your feedback with our staff to ensure we're meeting our high standards. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Steven Tresh

Reviewed 24 May 2014

First, let me say that everything was first rate and impressive about Casa Marina. There is just
something special about staying at a historic hotel with its grand lobby and lovely grounds. I was
Impressed with everything upon arrival, the lobby and the staff and bell services couldn't have been better. The room, which was an ocean vista category, had a spectacular view and was very
nice with wonderful appointments and amenities. The Salvatore Feragamo bath amenities were
so good that I will look into buying the " Hair Moisturizer" which was provided in the bath. Yes,
everything was heavenly and perfect until we went to the pool and beach area, which is fabulous
with the walkway lined with stately palms and pools and fountains everywhere. There are 2 large
pools ( very shallow), one for families with children, and one for adults only, and a large bar and
restaurant area with lots of shaded ocean view seating ( very nice), and a large beach with staff
setting up chaise lounges with towels and umbrellas for you anywhere on the beach you would
like. So, in theory, this should be great; however, the problem for us on a Thursday afternoon in
May, was that this entire area was so crowded that it was not enjoyable. It was like the Jersey
Shore on the 4th of July only with less room. We were packed in on the beach like sardines, and
the people were loud and intrusive types. So, I left and moved to the pool area, but there was not
one chair available, people were double-parked everywhere. So, I tried to set my book and beach
cover-up down somewhere on any cement areas, but there were little ants climbing everywhere.
I went over to the adult pool thinking this would be better, but there were about 35 big rowdy men
parked on the pool steps with beers in hand, yelling and taunting people, and it was just too
intimidating to try to squeeze past them into the over-crowded noisy pool, so I left and sat at the
restaurant area which was very nice and the staff was very kind and helpful. After a few hours,
I tried the adult pool again, and those same men still had blocked off the steps and were even
louder and drunker than before. There were 2 large business groups staying at the hotel for
meetings and they also had taken over the lobby and both indoor bars, which looked very nice if you could only get near them. So, after several hours, we gave up on trying to enjoy the pool/beach area and went to our room to prepare for dinner. The room was very nice and comfortable with a fabulous view of the beach and pool. There was a wedding taking place on the pier, and a dinner being served to businessmen on the beach. The next problem was that the
bed squeaked very loudly every time we moved and for some reason it sounded to me like
someone was at the door or in the bathroom- I mean it was loud ! I kept getting up during the night
and looking out the little peephole on the door thinking someone was breaking in, until I finally
figured out it was the metal bed springs.
One more important thing to note: the beach is not the type you can swim at, it is rocks and a small cliff edge dropping down into water clogged with masses of brown seaweed. There is a ladder you can climb down and the end of a pier to drop into the water, but when I tried to do this,
when I got close to the end of the pier, I saw how dirty and murky the water was, full of seaweed,
with only a few brave souls attempting to swim. Most of the Keys have a coral/rocky sea bottom,
so unless you have sturdy swim shoes , don't even think about going into the ocean or bay here.
So, the beach is pretty from the hotel room, but not so great up close. That is not the hotel's fault,
it's just how Key West Beaches are. Also, I don't blame the Casa Marina for wanting to have the
hotel fully booked and at capacity, and the staff was always very attentive and kind. For me;
however, I like a more private beach retreat, so if you are planning a romantic getaway or a
honeymoon, this is only the place for you if you like lots of people and noise. The place looks
exclusive and has all the bells and whistles, it was just too busy for us.
One bright note-it is only a block away from our new favorite restaurant in Key West, a wonderful
and romantic place called Louie's Backyard. Don't let the name fool you, this is an upscale
and fabulous restaurant complete with white linen and attentive staff serving gourmet cuisine
right at the waters edge. Don't miss this place, it's simply the best place in Key West for dining !
I would go back to Casa Marina again if they had a very slow period and the hotel was not full
of business meetings, wedding guests, etc. It looked like a grand hotel from a novel and I would
like a chance to enjoy the large bar inside which looked inviting if one could only get near it.

Room Tip: Ocean Vista category room was great !
1  Thank SEAJourney
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel has everything a hotel should have. Amazing staff (very helpful, friendly and they gave us all a proper laugh), the food was fantastic. The highlight in regards to food was the Breakfast Buffet, it had everything, saying that I really mean it, they had everything. The rooms where spacious, clean and the beds where super comfortable. That all said, this hotel has everything, there is nothing bad to say about this hotel. It is worth everything penny. :) We Loved it!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear viktoria_lundkvist,

We love hearing such kind words from our very valuable guests! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to making you laugh again soon.

Steven Tresh

Reviewed 23 May 2014

The minute we get out of the cab and walk in the lobby at Casa Marina, we feel like we are home! The staff is absolutely amazing... always so friendly and go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay! And just wait til you get to the pool! The staff makes you feel so special - super friendly and very attentive. And we so look forward to our special hourly treats given by the pool staff! Love every minute we are in Key West, and will be going back soon! Lay in the hammock on the beach and catch the sunset -- you will never want to leave!

Room Tip: Love the suites in original building of the hotel with the patio -- so enjoyable to relax in privacy...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kim G
Reviewed 22 May 2014

These people know how to run a hotel. The service and food was excellent. They anticipated virtually every need. The location is superb. I haven't had such a wonderful experience since I stayed at the Edgewater with Robert Plant and Peter
Cetera on Seattle's waterfront a couple of years ago.

Room Tip: Upper floor, oceanside is recommended.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family