“A Great Babymoon Destination”

Casa Marina Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Casa Marina is a fantastic hotel. My husband and I enjoyed a "babymoon" 1/8-1/12, I am 7 months pregnant. It's my 5th trip to Key West. Our room was huge and well appointed, room 1013 East Wing Island Vista One BR suite. We were on the first floor, and had views of the public beach and tennis courts and a nice balcony. The bathrooms were very spacious, though it only had a shower not a tub. Loved the espresso machine, and the two flat screen TV's, in the living room and in the bedroom. The bedroom had a comfy king sized bed, and was in a separate room with its own door for privacy. The main room also had a large L-shaped sofa and even a dine-in area.

The only negative about the room is that it needed a fresh coat of paint, furniture needed scratch repair and the draperies/rugs needed drycleaning, surprising for a Waldorf Astoria. In spite of this, the room was super clean, the housekeeper did a great job keeping the room spotless and refreshing our towels. I was also disappointed that the spa did not offer mani/pedis.
The hotel breakfast buffet was yummy, we enjoyed it every day. We had dinner at the resort once and it was excellent, one of the best dinners on the island. Service was good but slow (typical Key West). The resort had everything you could imagine, two grand pools, pool service, a beach, a nice pier, amazing views, watersports, spa, etc. Frequent travelers to Key West know that the beach space is limited. This hotel actually had a nice sized private beach and pier, a rare find at most KW hotels. Keep in mind the hotel charges an extra $20 a day resort fee. The weather became so cool during our stay, we could only used the resort on one of the days but still had to pay the pool fee every day.

My husband loved the hotel but prefers to stay on Duvall Street, because the walk downtown was long for a pregnant lady (30 minutes each way) but we just grabbed a cab if we needed to. We have stayed at the Ocean Key in the past but I wanted a more of a resort experience this time.

The resort is so beautiful, I thought it would be a great place for a destination wedding!! I would definitely stay there again or recommend it to a friend.

PS: Make sure to leave time in your schedule for a visit to the Audubon House. It has the most beautiful garden on the island and a great collection of antique Audubon prints. Ask for Bob, he is wonderful!

1  Thank countrytraveler

Reviewed 12 January 2010

My wife and I, both senior travelers, met with our adult son who is also a Diamond Hilton Honors card holder, for a very special weekend to discuss some very important family business. (4 Nights total).

As business people, we have stayed in thousands of hotels around the world, and know a good experience when we find it.

Though the years, we have stayed at most of the existing Key West hotels, and as it happened; we decided to visit this hotel the first week that it opened as a renovated Hilton (Waldorf) property in January of 2009. There were a few wrinkles a year ago, but we were pleasantly surprised to meet our last year's contact who had been promoted to head up the "Front Desk".

Our special angel "On Site" is Maria. She's a dynamic little firecracker who not only remembered us, but managed to give us the feeling that we were "Back Home".

This is a one of a kind property, built in the 20's by Flagler. It isn't the "hard party type hotel". It's one with a lot of luxury and good feelings. If you want action jump on the trolley and it's available, but when the party is over; it's nice to go back to a quiet, sandy beach; and enjoy the sound of the surf lapping on the coral shoreline (as you lie in your own private hammock).

Just relax, sip a cool one by the pool; (and feel like a king). We did it again for 4 nights, and wish that our visit could have been longer. We'll be back. Thank you Maria..

Helpful Hint for Travelers: If you are a Hilton Honors (Gold or Diamond) Card holder, see Front Desk manager, Maria. Check in at a reasonable rate, then see her for a few of her extra fancy touches. She certainly helped us feel the value of our time spent, and takes her job very seriously. Now that a year has passed, it certainly shows. Good Luck.

1  Thank vernkaye
Reviewed 10 January 2010

My daughter, age 22, and I stayed at Casa from January 3-9, 2010. We wanted to relax in the sun by day and shop/dine in the evening. The temperatures reached record lows during our stay but we were fortunate to have booked a Grand Ocean room with a huge protected balcony. Truly, the balcony was as big as our room. We spent every day on the balcony lounging on the two chaise lounge chairs and managed to be warm and content with a fabulous view.

Our room was not ready when we checked in so we stored our luggage and headed to Duval Street. The hotel notified us by cell phone by mid afternoon that our room was ready. After getting our keys at the front desk, we retrieved our luggage from storage. No one offered to help us with our many groceries and luggage which I thought was odd but we made our way to our room. I was not happy with our room as it was on the end and had a smaller balcony but we were quickly moved to the room next door which was great. This is an old hotel so they have to work with what they have so expect a room no bigger than 350 square feet and a bathroom that holds only one person....barely. I was pleased with the empty fridge for our groceries and the nespresso machine. i was surprised that there were absolutely no drawers for storage. We didn't bring much so it was fine. Ron, the concierge, was fabulous. There is no question he cannot answer. The staff at the restaurant where I picked up lunch daily (very good) to take to the balcony was wonderful. Absolutely no complaints about the staff other than the initial bell hops. There were numerous employees constantly cleaning the hallways, lobby, stairs, bannister, hedges, etc. I have never seen such care taken to the common areas both inside and outside. What surprised me, however, was the inconsistent housekeeping. There was a notice in the room that you could schedule housekeeping to come at a specific time so I called and requested noon since my daughter is a late sleeper. I had to call every day by 1:00 to request service. One day they forgot to leave a floor mat in the shower (a necessity I assure you) and another day they did not refill the coffee. On another occasion I was asked if I wanted the sheets changed. i asked when they were changed last and she had no clue. Housekeeping was truly the only shortcoming. It is a beautiful property and I would return and book this type of room only. Half the rooms are on the back of the hotel and many facing the ocean only have a window or very sheltered tiny balcony. The large balcony on our room made it feel bigger and brighter. If you choose Casa you will like its understated elegance but be prepared for a tiny room and bathroom....even in the highest room category excluding suites.

• Stayed: January 2010
1  Thank Trixiejoey
Reviewed 7 January 2010

We went to Casa Marina the week after Christmas, and stayed through New Years. We had three families that went together, with 9 children ages 12 - 21. Everyone had a ball. The resort was beautiful, accessible, and the staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms were a bit small, but we spent no time in them , but the beds were great!!! We had beach chairs set up for us each morning, great staff bringing us lunch each day. THe resort is outside the crazy city center of Key West but a 5 minute walk to Duval Street and the piers. It was nice to be able to do that easy walk into town and come back to the peacefulness of the resort. My only complaint is that the Concierge was terrible, unhelpful and unknowledgeable. He stated that he would not get us reservations for a table of 15, however, we called each night and had no problems. Otherwise, a really great week!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2010

The Waldorf Astoria conjures up a sense of luxury and high end amenities. This hotel is little more than a posh motel. The best thing about it is the location, right on the beach. But the rooms are small, our bathroom can only fit one person in, it has no bathtub. There are no lounging areas in the hotel and the "bar" backs onto the Starbucks coffee shop. The hoel lacks sophistication, we have stayed in better Hilton Garden Inns.

5  Thank lizcunningham
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We had a great time there, and mostly it was because of the gentleman Corey James who works there. He took us to our room told us all the hot spot of Key West, and gave us tips we would have never found out on our own!!!! We love him! He is part of the reason we will be visiting Key West and the Casa marina next year! Plus the hotel is beautiful... very clean and good location.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I am a lawyer and my wife a nursing student on spring break. We stayed with our 2 young daughters (6 & 4) for 4 nights in March 2009, first in an Island View room, then upgraded to an Oceanfront Suite. Both rooms were well-appointed. The resort is very private with great pools and poolside service. A very safe neighborhood where we could walk or short drive to Duval Street and hundreds of restaurants and nightlife. We will stay again.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family