“Beautiful, peaceful location!”

The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We've stayed at The Reach several times, always traveling with several other couples. It's a nice hotel. Rooms are spaciouls and clean and the water views are nice. The pool was nice & beach clean. (Small, but clean. KW) The restaurant in the the hotel is pricey, but food was good. If you don't want to be with all the partiers and night life, this is a good hotel for you.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly and ask nicely!
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,769)

Reviewed 5 July 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at The Reach Waldorf Astoria Resort in Key West. Our experience could not have been better. I was a little concerned when I read a couple of reviews saying it was nice but not what you would expect from a Waldorf Astoria. I think they must have meant that the furnishing are not as opulent as most Waldorf Resorts. However, I think it was exactly what you would expect from the Keys. It reminded me of the Old Key West Resort in Disney, and I think Disney always nails it with appropriate decor. The beach was beautiful. It was located one street over from Duval Street and was about a mile walk to Mallory Square. Most of all, the staff was exceptional!!!! I can't remember ever having a more accommodating and wonderful staff. We loved it and would go again:)

Reviewed 5 July 2011

This trip to key west was double duty for my new wife and I, it was both honeymoon and a well needed respite from the daily grind. The hotel suites were big and clean and the pool view was also a great ocean view too!. The amenities were excellent and the staff was way better then there pay grade. Special mention has to go to Ricardo the pool side director whose, attention to detail was way beyond 4 star. He or Cael, had our towels rolled out for us on our loungers, before we could sit, down, my wife loved the sunglass cleaning, the frozen cucumbers on her eyes, and the tan mist they would spray on her, the jolly rancher popsicles, and fresh local fruit were great touches also. The restaraunt was sophisticated, and had a steak house atmosphere, and the prices were a little steep. But I really recomend the sirloin burger, at pool side or the breakfast buffet for late risers is also awesome. Over all the local fun was good and the staff had good recomendations for night life and the ablility to recoupe and rest was excellent at the resort. Best of both worlds, for us as my wife got her relaxations, and I got my seedo adventure and parasailing right from our private beach.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We took a mini 6 day vacation in the month of June; the Hotel was great but the services was excellent!! The staff was very helpful and greeted us always with a smile and friendly hello on our venturing out and on our return. The Hotel was in a great location for our interest; we rented scooters from Barefoot Billy's, took the jet ski tour of the island, walked a short distance to Durval Street, took the 4 hour fishing excursion and play around the pool and beach area....Thanks Jake, Ricardo, Cael and Tony!! you guys were great!!!

Reviewed 4 July 2011

We were so disappointed in the service and the facilities that I am writing a detailed letter to the hotel. You are charged 20.00 a night for valet service and each night we had to go looking for the valet. One night it was only the valet who was also the bellhop and the cars were lined up. There were problems with the rooms reserved vs the actual rooms which finally did get straightened out, but only because we were not accepting any less. The pool is marginal and the waiter service is few and far between, each day I had to go get my own drinks and ice. The best was on a Saturday (holiday weekend) we were told at 9 am we could not use the pool, it wasn't cleaned and it was disgusting. We had to go to the sister hotel Casa Marina, and they would not shuttle us for free, they would charge us even though it was their fault. The Casa Marina is a much better facility, the service top notch, I would book there over the The Reach any day!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Darla777
jleecarter, Front Office Manager at The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. Please contact me regarding your letter so that we can work with you to remedy any inconsistencies in service which you may have received. We welcome your letter and any suggestions that you may have for ways that we may be able to enhance our amenities and services for future guests. I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Jason Carter
305-296-3535
jcarter@luxuryresorts.com

Reviewed 3 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here on a spring break, long weekend getaway in April. My husband had read about the Conch Republic Rebellion and it seemed like fun, so we booked our getaway. The booking site rates this as a four star resort and while it was nice enough I don't know if I would rate it that high. Though in all fairness we didn't spend a lot of time there and may have not taken advantage of all its amenities.
We arrived early before the checkin time and the guy at the reception desk said they had a room available right away. My husband asked if it was an ocean view which is what we had booked. His response was pretty much, no its not oceanview but it's what's available if you want to check in now. We took it because we wanted to check-in early since since we only had a couple of days and already had a dolphin viewing/snorkeling trip booked for early that afternoon. The room was comfortable and clean, but nothing particularly impressive. The decor was clean and spare. The bathroom was clean but small. One problem was the noise from the stairway area. Access to our room was via a concrete corridor and when someone was in the stairway the noise reverberated and amplified and was somewhat disturbing.
The hotel is on the opposite side of the island from much of the action which made for a quiet low key atmosphere. There were people, including families with children, swimming and lounging in the pool area. Late one night I went down to the beach area and had it pretty much to myself and lounged in one of the hammocks and stargazed in peace. Still Key West is not that big and it was only about a 10-15 minute drive to the center of the action.
The concierge Stacy was extremely friendly and helpful. We decided last minute we wanted to do a jet ski tour (Barefoot Billy's really friendly and as a bonus really cute guys) and she made a number of calls and found us one starting in just minutes at a nearby hotel. She also recommend a restaurant in the area, the Blue Banana, at which we had a yummy breakfast of crepes. The hotel is a short walk to the southernmost beach in the US and it was a nice area to walk around at look at the local architecture.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

It sounds like you really enjoyed your time here in Key West and enjoyed all of the great things which our concierge Stacy was able to recommend. You made a lot of great recommendations for activities offered both in our resort and on the island. Should your travels have you return to the southernmost point, please let me know so that I may assist with your accommodations.

All the best,

Jason Carter
305-296-3535
jcarter@luxuryresorts.com

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Wonderful hotel. Very nice and extremely accommodating staff. Treated us as if we were the only guests that mattered at any particular moment. Nice pool right next to their own private sandy beach with pool and beach service. Nice touches such as complimentary champagne in the afternoons and virgin mojitos next to the elevator. Our boutique suite with a "partial" ocean view would have been called a full ocean view compared to other resorts. Had double sinks, tub/shower combo and separate shower. Our suite was the closest room to the elevator yet we never heard the elevator or people talking outside our room. We also had a view of the pool and beach yet still very quiet. When the gift shop was closed, a front desk employee opened the shop and allowed me to make a totally non-emergency purchase. Fabulously comfortable bed and pillows. We would return in a heartbeat!

A few suggestions: Offer complimentary shuttle to sister property and drop offs to the other end of Duval Street. Gift shop needs to stay open at least until dark. Sell those cooling neck scarves that have the beads that you wet and stay cool for hours. Room Service menu should offer common "American" sandwiches like grilled cheese, BLT's, french dip, hot dogs, etc. Sometimes chefs get so caught up in their "artistry" that they forget food is to be eaten to satisfy hunger. Make a real french dip, and make it the best french dip possible. Add a grilled cheese and make it with 3 different cheeses on a fabulous bread. Make homemade potato chips. Every hotel's food service should be able to make a common sandwich at any time of the day or night even if it isn't on the menu. Pool/Beach Service needs to add snorkeling equipment. You can snorkel right from the beach and it would be wonderful to be able to do so without having to bring your own equipment. The only room suggestions would be to have softer towels and make the shelves in the bedroom "pull outs" so you can use them as drawers. Also, have a local newspaper with a daily television guide either delivered to each room or available in the lobby.

4  Thank Judyscastle