“pretty grounds arent enough for luxury”

The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
New York, United States
“pretty grounds arent enough for luxury”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Other than the beautiful grounds, the hotel has serious problems. The staff wasn't very helpful on more than one occasion. The restaurant's décor isn't suitable for children. My boys, 17 and 13 felt uncomfortable and didn't want to eat there. We didn't get menus for quiet some time and then got up and left. The next day we dined on the terrace but the food took forever to be served and I had to ask for water (which everywhere is brought to the table at once) several times before it was served. My hotel reservation was made for three adults and a child because my sons are not young kids and can NOT share a sofa-bed. We did not get any correspondence prior to arrival but upon checking in we learned that the hotel does not have roll away beds. My husband and I were forced to share the king size bed with my 13 year old which was not comfortable for any of us. Finally, I left behind a silk pajama pants. I called the hotel and the receptionist said I should leave a message with "lost and found". I never heard back from anyone and this is two days after checking out. For a luxury resort and for the amount we paid, all of that was disappointing!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank Rinat L
Cindy A, Front Office Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. Our goal is to provide our guests with great service along with a relaxing and beautiful atmosphere. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the problems you encountered while staying with us. We do work hard to establish high standards of quality and guest service, and I am sorry to learn that we failed to achieve these results.
We have shared your feedback with our operating teams, helping them identify specific service breakdowns. Training is a continual process for us; therefore your feedback is being used directly with the teams involved. We thank you for caring enough to share your experiences.
Cindy Acevedo Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, United States
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Even when service issues were discussed directly with a manager, things were never resolved. In fact, they grew worse over our 3 day stay. The restaurant was very good and we enjoyed being able to sit and view the beach and pier.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Steven W
Paul B, Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Steven,

I am very sorry to hear about your recent experience at The Reach Resort and welcome you to contact me directly to discuss the matter further.

Paul Bartush, Manager
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I will begin by saying the rooms were gross. The carpet in the rooms were filthy-- you could not walk on the ground barefoot, the bathrooms were dirty. It took forever to get the rooms cleaned and it took hours to get extra towels and the pull out couch made up.
The food service and all of the servers are the most incompetent servers that I have ever met! They did not get a single order correct in the 3 days we were there, they do NOT cater to food allergies. To be honest, it felt the servers would go out of their way to make our stay LESS pleasurable. It was quite clear they did not want to work.
There were some employees that did try and were there to assist the guest, but there was many more employees that did not care and did not want to work and those employees completely overshadowed any good that was attempted.
The only reason why we return to this hotel is because of the beautiful property, however each year it gets progressively worse and to be honest is not worth the aggravation!
This is definitely NOT a Waldorf resort! Save your money, save your Hilton points!

Room Tip: A tip to choose a good room is to not stay at this hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank K J
Dear guest,

I cannot apologize enough for what sounds to me like a very poor experience at our property. I welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues that you experienced during your stay. Please contact me directly via email.

South Lyon, United States
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Hasn't been updated in years. Staff needs work. Very loud noise coming from air condition unit on top of building. Beach was cleaned off either day we were there. Overall if wasn't for the location we would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

2 Thank Kevin R
Dear Kevin

I am sorry that you did not find The Reach Resort to meet the expectations that you had. I would like to speak to you directly to explore possible ways to make amends. Please reach out to me directly via email to set up a convenient time to talk.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed back in October of 2013 and the hotel should not be a Hilton and definitely not a Waldorf Astoria. The staff just doesn't care when you point out how dirty the place is (noticed when checked in). It needs significant painting and the rooms aren't clean. In addition, the staff doesn't seem to know what the "Do Not Disturb" sign means. They accessed our room while we were in the shower and also when we were sleeping in, they called us to see why our sign was up to clean the room. The elevator kept breaking and we mentioned to the desk manager that the inspection was almost a year out of date and he acted like he didn't care.

Additionally, we tried in the past to stay at Hilton chains for the points because we are a dedicated Hilton Honors members, but this New Years we stayed at the Hyatt (which was a little less expensive) and highly recommend it. It was right on Front Street and was clean, the staff was extremely personable and did an excellent job.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nukesrule
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry to not have learned of your poor experience at The Reach while you were on property. I would have happily assisted in remedying any of the issues that existed. Please contact me via email to set up a time to discuss the issues that you experienced and how I can make amends for these issues.

Watford
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The rooms by American standard were smaller than expected with little storage space. This was more than made up for by the helpful staff and rapid response to any issues. It is the perfect place to explore Key West on foot.

Room Tip: When asking for a sea view clarify if this is from the room or balcony only
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
I am thrilled to know that our staff made your recent stay at The Reach Resort so pleasurable. Thank you for taking the time to highlight the efforts of the staff and our location - two of the many wonderful assets that The Reach Resort offers to its guests.

We hope that you provide us with an opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the coming year!

Warm regards
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This hotel is not a Waldorf. Dirty, smelly room, poor service. The only thing compatible with a Waldorf was the price. The rest is more like a Days Inn. They sell an Ocean View Suite where you can hardly see the sea. It was a disaster.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Please contact me to discuss the issues that you experienced during your recent stay.