Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Best Beach in Key West”

The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was our third trip to The Reach. It has the best beach of any resort in Key West. The hotel itself is a little dated, Not your typical Waldorf Astoria but the staff is very friendly. Riccardo the beach attendant is outstanding. He anticipates your every need and Gheorge the beach waiter is also great. A little expensive but still a good choice. Good location, not on Duval but an easy walk. Will come back again.

Room Tip: Ask for beach or pool view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Cindy A, Front Office Manager at The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Thank you for your note. We are so glad you were able to enjoy our resort, its service, amenities and wonderful activities. We will certainly recognize the staff members that you've mentioned. We look forward to seeing you on a return visit!

There are newer reviews for The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Reviewed 28 February 2014

As one of the top tier Key West resorts, The Reach lived up to the hype. Everything about this facility is excellent, the staff friendly and courteous. Due to our flight arriving very early before check in, our room was not ready, but the desk staff held our luggage and recommended places to go see while we waited. Then they called my cell phone when the room was ready. Nice. The room wasn't huge, a typical sized hotel room, but who lingers in their room anyway when in Key West! The condition of the room was very clean, linens crisp, comfortable bed, and our ocean view balcony was superb. Cool sea breeze for sitting out in the evening. One negative to report is there was no dresser for us to unpack our clothes. The pool is well-maintained and the pool staff was always attentive to our needs. The beach is cleaned and raked every morning. The Reach provides other amenities that you would expect from a resort of this caliber such as turn down service, free ice-cold lemon water in the lobby, and a well stocked gift shop that also brews a great cup of coffee. In summary, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely return to The Reach when we re-visit Key West.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank Dennis R
Cindy A, Front Office Manager at The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your recent stay at the The Reach Resort.
We are pleased to know that you had such an enjoyable visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to the The Reach Resort sometime in the very near future.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We visited Key West from February 8th-February 14th. We picked The Reach from online reviews and were glad that we did. The hotel is located on the "quiet" side of the island, I think.
Everyone from the front desk, the consierge, housekeeping, to the beach service were polite and friendly. Our room was clean and comfortable. We stayed in room 216, which was a corner room with the balcony overlooking the pool. The gift shop had a few things to eat, and the Strip House restaraunt was good as well. We rented bicycles and an electric car through the consierge desk-that process was efficient and easy. Transport to and from the airport was $8 pp., which I think the hotel could have offered the service, since the airport is so close. The hotel is walking distance to bars and restaraunts on Devol Street, but in a much quieter area. The beach and beach attendants were awesome! Ricardo was very friendly and was very good to our two teenage girls. The hotel beach staff gave out pop sickles, cold towels, virgin strawberry daquiris during the days that we were on the beach. That was nice surprise on a hot day. The beach was clean and quiet, perfect for relaxing. The hotel has wave runners, stand up paddle boards, and kayaks for rent at a reasonable price. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet retreat.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the beach side offered great views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We are so glad you were able to enjoy our resort, its service, amenities and wonderful activities. We will certainly recognize the staff members that you've mentioned. We look forward to seeing you on a return visit!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I had made our reservations several months ago and after reading some of the recent reviews was very apprehensive. However, everything was fine. I was impressed with the gentleman at the front when we drove up. He asked if we wanted valet parking or self parking without any pressure for us to choose valet parking. Also, instead of having a staff member grab our bags, he asked if we needed assistance with our bags. Since we were staying just 2 nights and have suitcases with wheels, we did not need help. Check in went smooth and quick. Alison and Cindy were at the front desk and had noted that we were there for our anniversary. They gave us a bottle of champagne, a box of candy, along with a couple of balloons. And best of all, due to a cancellation, we were upgraded to what they consider a suite which was just fine with us. The room was comfortable and clean (we were in 428). Our room overlooked the courtyard and we could see the pool and a little of the beach. The beautiful palm trees blocked a better beach view. Only recommendation I have is that the only mirrors were in the bathroom and one is definitely needed in the bedroom area.

As to some of the room complaints, yes some seem to be narrow. Get a room chart and check it out before you make your reservation. I used the gym one morning and found it decently equipped and clean. We used the pool which we found very pleasant. I didn't feel the pool itself was too small, but more lounge chairs were needed in the pool area. Beach looked nice, but we stuck to the pool.

Room Tip: Reserving a standard room will most likely get you one of the narrow rooms. Get a room chart or cal...
2  Thank oclola

Thank you for your note. We are so glad you were able to enjoy our resort, its service, amenities and wonderful activities. Thank you for your kind words. Alison and myself appreciate your feedback. We look forward to seeing you on a return visit! Cindy Acevedo Front Office Manager

Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Reach – A resort that should not be a Waldorf property!

Feb 17-19, 2014
Our stay in Key West was to celebrate a special occasion. I booked a higher level hotel (or so I thought) with the Waldorf name that stands for a hotel of exceptional quality and standards. Their welcome letter boasts of delivering “the best possible experience”. This was not the case at the Reach. I am not sure how this location was selected to use the Waldorf name, but the facility is not deserving of this level of prestige. In my view the lack of quality at the Reach actually hurts the Waldorf name. Not surprisingly, as we talked to others during our time in Key West, we were told many times of issues at the Reach. No one recommend the Reach nor were they shocked by our experience there. Yet it was fully booked… likely on their Hilton affiliation not based on word of mouth.

Issues:
• First room - bathroom door was locked, sliding door was difficult to open and half off the track. Asked three people (on the phone - front desk) to have someone come to our room and resolve. After 30 minutes of waiting I went to the front desk. They said they were not informed of the issues. I insisted on and was provided a new room. The second one was an improvement…..
• Elevators needed cleaning
• Hallway floors needed to be re-painted. Battleship gray that was badly worn.
• Room carpet was dated (well worn)
• Housekeeping missed a dirty towel that was hung on the door.
• Now the best part (not) - The Strip House Restaurant (managed by a third party)
 Breakfast
 Told server that we were new to the hotel and wanted to know if we should wait to be seated or just sit. He was not interested and told us to just sit anywhere. There was a buffet (really a mini buffet). We guessed that we should serve ourselves from the buffet.....we guessed there was no table service or ordering off a menu.
 I was able to obtain one half piece of French Toast – then the warming tray was empty – never was refilled.
 My wife went to the omelet station (no other guests were around) as she stepped up she was told to hold on that there were others before her and had to wait her turn (in a rather nasty… you idiot type voice). OK, I’ll wait my wife replied. Then as the omelet queen carried on she started cursing (up to and including the “F” bomb… Nice place… a Waldorf and Hilton property at its worst.
 Eventually we sat ourselves and served ourselves. Went for another glass of OJ… not to be found. Most everything was gone and not being replaced. It was only 10:00am. Great buffet….NOT.
 Then the best part… a $58 bill that included an automatic18% gratuity. Really, ½ piece of French toast, a raw omelet, served ourselves… I should have been tipped.
• They do have a nice beach and pool….but I was in Key West to see Key West and now our trip was tainted by a bad starting experience at the Reach.
• In all fairness I did comment to management and had my resort fee and daily charge reduced. I did not care as all I really wanted was a good experience not the reduced charge…. Good experience …shattered!
• I also decided (out of character) to ask to have our great breakfast charge reduced or eliminated. The restaurant manager eliminated the full charge.

In summary, I would not recommend anyone staying at the Reach. I have no issue paying for a good hotel (I have stayed at other Waldorf properties), but in this case we were let down, way down. I believe that Hilton should reconsider adding its good name to this property.

Very disappointed with the Reach in Key West.

Room Tip: Stay some place else
5  Thank N G

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am disappointed that your visit with us was not as pleasant as we all would have liked. Your feedback is appreciated as it allows me to perfect our service moving forward. Please know that I will address your concerns about the housekeeping department & restaurant service with my team to ensure that these types of mistakes are addressed immediately. We thank you for caring enough to share your experiences.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Even though the hotel was very nice and clean there were several things that were not at resort that kept it from getting higher marks. No hot tub or whirlpool, would be nice after a long trip to relax muscles after being in sitting position for so long. To unwind so to speak. No regular complementary coffee in morning. Coffee machine in room made coffee not to liking. had to pay $$$$ to get a cup. Beach staff on some days were not as good than on other days. Had great service on Tuesday but so, so the following days, due to different staff.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank Mark M

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. Our goal is to provide our guests with great service along with a relaxing and beautiful atmosphere. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the problems you encountered while staying with us. We have shared your feedback with our operating teams, helping them identify specific service breakdowns. Training is a continual process for us; therefore your feedback is being used directly with the teams involved. We thank you for caring enough to share your experiences. Cindy Acevedo Front Office Manager cindy.acevedo@Waldorfastoria.com

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel is beautiful. However, during our two-night stay the room was not cleaned and beds were not made. The restaurant was dirty with pigeons everywhere. Service was very slow. Upon paying, my credit card was given back to another guest. We are very disappointed and would expect much more from a hotel charging USD 500/night.

Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank EmmaZe
Cindy A, Front Office Manager at The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

We appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent stay at The Reach Resort. If you would like to discuss your stay please contact me at cindy.acevedo@waldorfastoria.com for personalized service. We have shared your feedback in regards to your expectations of Waldorf Astoria Resorts with our management team. It is the feedback of guests such as you that assist us in the training of associates. Cindy Acevedo Front Office Manager