“It made for a great honeymoon hotel ”

The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Newbury, United Kingdom
“It made for a great honeymoon hotel ”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our time at The Reach. The welcome was fantastic and we really enjoyed our complimentary bottle of sparkling wine.
We did pop over to Casa Marina to see if we were missing out on anything but actually felt The Reach was a much nicer size and a friendlier place. The breakfast at the Strip House is convenient, but it is worth venturing out to try other places in Key West to broaden your horizons. It is really near to the Sourhernmost Point so if you really must have your photo taken there - you can avoid the crowds (we went at sunset - everyone must have been elsewhere!) There is also a good bike and scooter rental a around the corner and a Japanese restaurant that does the freshest sushi and fresh fish we have ever had. Highly recommended.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola082

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

It's hard to complain about a hotel on one of the few private beach spots in Key West. But the staff was hit or miss and for every nice feature there seemed to be something to detract from it, making the experience slightly above mediocre. Popsicles at 2 by the pool is a great idea. Having bikes to rent right at the hotel, also a good idea. But they forgot to clean our room and when I called the front desk just to request a refresher on towels and soap, no one ever came by to do so. There is access to the other Waldorf property, which appeared a cut above this one, but we didn't take the walk over.

Room Tip: Your view can vary greatly. If you want a good one you'll need to do some work with the front de...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PhiladelphiaJordan
Joy30Joy30
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I've stayed at several Waldor Astoria properties that really knocked my socks off. This place left my socks perfectly in tact.

The Pro's-Great location, incredibly friendly staff and the use of Casa Marina facilities. Cindy who works behind the front desk is AWESOME! The Nespresso machine in the room was a nice perk.

The Con's-Our shower was clogged and the water would not drain, we had to call maintenance. He was quick and efficient but tracked wet, muddy and dirty show prints all over the tile so then we had to call housekeeping. Our room safe did not work, I had to call security to come and fix it. It was fixed and I appreciate it but...I want to spend my vacation relaxing not getting a shower and a safe fixed. The elevator also broke during our stay. Lastly, the room had very few electrical outlets. This is not a big deal to some but for a younger generation with iPads, iPods and Mac's we need power.

I would recommend this hotel but only to those who are older and who do not want or need modernization. This is an older property that needs some TLC.

Room Tip: In room 524 you can't see the pool or the ocean because of Palm Trees. The room location however...
2 Thank Joy30Joy30
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were so pleased with our stay at The Reach. Every staff member was so helpful and friendly! Our room #543 was on the top floor overlooking the ocean and had a private balcony. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay and would recommend it to our friends. We took 34 years to return to Key West. It looked a bit different, but still a beautiful place to visit and so much to do. I would recommend the Butterfly/Conservatory as a must see for all!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My friend and I traveled to Key West for a girlfriends weekend getaway and to celebrate our birthdays since we haven't traveled anywhere in several years. After reading several reviews on here, I still took the chance and made our reservation with The Reach and was able to utilize my hilton honors points for part of our stay. I can say without a doubt that I am so glad I reserved our stay here. The staff was courteous and helpful with check-in, bags, concierge service, housekeeping and the pool/beach H2O staff is awesome as well. I'm sorry but I can't remember the assistant who checked us in but she was from Maryland too and very courteous and helpful. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at about 11:30 (which I expected since checkin wasn't until 3). I had reserved a key west view room and was called at 1:30 to say our room was ready, when we arrived we found out we had been upgraded to an ocean view room which was awesome. Chuck, the bellman, was wonderful and delivered our bags to our rooms after we checked in. He also delivered a complimentary birthday gift of balloons, champagne and chocolates which was very much appreciated. Chris at the pool and beach was very friendly and had a great personality and was always willing to help us out. Although we didn't utilize housekeeping too much except to change out dirty/clean towels they were all pleasant and double checked with us to be sure we didn't want service each day.

We visited Casa Marina (for beachside massages, see the review of their spa for more info) but I am so thankful we decided to stay at the Reach. Sand and beach were amazing, much nicer than the beach at the Casa, the hotel did what they could to clear out the seaweed but it's all part of Mother Nature and once you got past the seaweed the water was beautiful and so refreshing. The pool is adequate size for the resort and was also very refreshing. I really liked the Reach much better than Casa Marina because it was more intimate and seemed a little more laid back which was exactly what I was hoping for with this vacation. I will definitely try to stay here again. Note, things are quite pricey like drinks from the Strip House and items in the gift shop but I expected that since it was a resort hotel on the island. This was my third trip to the keys and in the past stayed at one of the smaller inns and the nightly charge was not that much more to stay at the Reach. Also, I don't know if this is normal or not but there was a nice breeze coming off the ocean every day so it was much more comfortable in terms of temperature at this resort than it was just a block or two off the ocean.

We had a great trip and some much needed girl time away from our families and the stresses of life at home. It was definitely a little piece of paradise. Thanks to everyone at The Reach for their hospitality.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank A G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Reach two weeks ago and had a very enjoyable stay. This was our second time staying at the Reach, property continues to be very clean, service was good overall...only "opportunity" item worth commenting on is the bar staff during the day. Found it to be very difficult to find the wait staff for afternoon drinks...we're on vacation, daytime drinks are a must.

Our first stay was just over ten years ago when it was part of the Wyndham chain. We remembered Riccado at the pool, still incredibly entertaining, disappointed to see the pool and beach bar is no longer, apparently it was a casuality of a hurricane a few years back and was not rebuilt. The property management should rethink that one.

But overall, great property, helpful staff, wonderful location. Would absolutely go back and definately recommend to others

Room Tip: Spend the extra $$ for ocean view.....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Joshua B, Manager at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience here at The Reach. I'm glad you enjoyed your return visit to our resort and we sincerely hope you enjoy your next visit even more so. Safe and happy travels to you.

Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our first trip to the Keys was met with a pleasant stay at The Reach. The location was spectacular. The only, I guess, bad review I could give this resort was the maid service was a little slow at getting to our room, and when I tried to talk to her she didn't understand what I was trying to ask her. But really that was nothing, everything else about this Resort was great, loved the evening turn down service. We also had access to pools located at the other Resort, Casa Marina, which was beautiful also. I would definitely return to this Resort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at The Reach. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and know that we hope to see you again in the future here in Key West. May your travels continue to be wonderful.

Best Wishes,