Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Never again! ”

The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Boston, MA
Reviewed 1 November 2005

Being a General Manager of a downtown Boston Hotel, maybe I can be critical, but in all our years of traveling this is the first time I have never complained here or to the hotel, as I know things can happen.

We stayed in Aruba at the Wyndham Resort, and were sold on the Wyndham name. I highly reccommend it. So making our decision when we had to go to Key West for a Wedding was easy....so we thought.

It is no longer a Wyndham, so if your looking to get the Wyndham by Request perks, forget it.

Parking garage is flooded just about every day. Our room was out dated and tired, but clean. The over all appearance of the hotel is worn out.

The elevator did not work 3 of our 5 days, no explanation, no apology. The construction next door will be your wake up call each morning. I read one review that was just posted in regards to vacation, well we were on vacation too, and we do not need a jack hammer to tell us when it's time to get up. They would not move our room either.

$14.00 a day resort fee? For what?

Tried to call the desk several times and received no answer, called the concierge to get a taxi to go to the wedding and we went into their voice mail.

Oh, we did get turn down service, once!

Working in this business for the last 20+ years I know what guests expect and this is not it, not even the basics. I can see why Wyndham sold it.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Reading, PA
Reviewed 31 October 2005

Talk about complete disreguard for customer service, they were happy to take my $400.00 deposit, then they called two days before we left and said sorry we dont have any rooms. Unbelievable, didnt offer any kind of comp, nothing, nothing.......... still fighting to get my deposit back. Thinking of suing......

Sam

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed 26 October 2005

Being a General Manager of a downtown Boston Hotel, it takes a lot for me to write a negative review....BUT.....

My wife and I were attending a wedding in Key West, since we had a great time at the Wyndham in Aruba, we decided to stay here. BIG MISTAKE !

When we arrived we found out it was no longer a Wyndham, it was when we booked it a few weeks prior?? We are (or were) Wyndham by Request members, so any of the benefits of that were not available. sorry, thats a lie, we did receive turn down service one of the nights we were there, not that it matters to us, but they could be consistent. Everything is still marked with the Wyndham logo, so it is very confusing.

Parking is cramped, and the garage is always full of water. the room was not what we were hoping, but it was clean. Our view of the pool?? We were looking at the satellite dish from our balcony right above the garage.

I hope you are not there to rest on your vacation, the jack hammering from the construction site next door will sufficiently do for your wake up call, everyday!

I called the desk to see if we could move our room, but no one answered the phone.

I hope you do not need a taxi. We called for one to go to the wedding, but the operator connected us to the concierge desk, and then we went into the concierge voice mail. That's ok we got our own taxi.

I am unsure what the daily resort fee was for. As we did not get anything additional for this fee than we would have received from any other hotel.

With all of the great choices in Key West, it really does not matter if this is a Wyndham or not, don't stay here.

Reviewed 21 September 2005

After staying at a top quality Wyndham hotel in Palm Springs last year, we were hugely disappointed with the Reach Resort. The hotel is totally overpriced for the standard of the accommodation. The car parking is terrible and the air con in the rooms sounds like it is diesel powered. There is a lot of building going on next door which acts as a good wake up call! The rooms were dirty and need updating dramatically.
The only positive points I can make are the pool area and the beach - these are both very pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank MJW2
Reviewed 16 September 2005

I should have recognized the inch of water in the hotel lobby as a sign that the Wyndham would not be a great experience. I brushed it off as a bit of damage from hurricane Katrina. However it didn't get much better than that. Check in went smoothly until the desk clerk told us that our room was on the 5th floor (maybe we'd get a view?) and that "...the best way to get there, well actually, you have to take the stairs because the elevators aren't working." It was about 3pm and must have been about 105 degrees with the heat index. We had two huge suitcases in the car that we would have to lug up the 5 flights. We went to the room and took a look around (the pictures are from this room). We could barely see the beach from the main sliding door glass door. After contemplating how difficult it would be to move everything up there, we went back to reception to ask for another room. The clerk (a different person from the first), upgraded us to a larger junior suite on the second floor. She was very pleasant about it too, it just seems like it should have been done the first time since the elevators were not working. The room was nice, but the A/C couldn't keep up with the Key West heat.

The hotel in general was fairly worn out and could use a major renovation (paint pealing off, door frames rusted through, etc). The pool was ok, but there were no towels available, which are apparently included in the $14 resort fee we had to pay. The room was clean. The self park garage had a huge puddle with about 2 inches of standing water in it for the 2 days we were there and there was no way not to walk through it to get to your room. It was full of mud which got on our clothes more than once. A new hotel was being built right outside our room, but amazingly we didn't hear much noise. I would definitely not stay in this hotel again, and would be hesitant about staying in any Wyndham hotel after this experience.

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank Spimby
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 August 2005

This hotel is a dump. The room was tiny. The absolute worst bed I have ever slept on. I asked for another room with a better bed and less construction noise, nope, same crappy type bed in that one!! The food was OK but overpriced. Staff was rude. We tipped the bell staff and then found out at check-out that they include that in your "resort fee". I would NEVER stay here again unless in was free!

Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 August 2005

I will never again trust a hotel based on its website. Everything about the Wyndham Reach Resort was bad. I mean, if you ve traveled a little in your life, you can tell right away that this hotel is a rip off. I m not holding any grudges against the hotel personnel (polite but not overtly nice either) but against the chain itself.

Here is my list of complaints :

-The so-called beach that you re longing for ? Forget it at the Wyndham Reach Resort. There is so much seaweed by the water you can t go for a swim....and the smell...granted, it s not the hotel s fault, but you don t charge $180 a night for a beach that is nonexistent. When we got there at 3pm in the afternoon, there was not a single person on the beach. They were all by the pool nearby.

-Be aware that they re having massive construction work going on this summer. There are about 20 workers next door and while we were there, we HAD to wake up at 9 am, as the noise was so loud (huge drilling downstairs in the garage as well)

-We had to insist to change rooms later that day. It only worked because we stopped by the reception several times

-Upon arrival, we were not offered the option of self parking. The valet took care of our car right away. Now, coming from Miami Beach where there s no other option, we did not question that, until we realized there was indeed a self parking section. We asked for our car keys right away.

-The first room we were staying in was full of small ants (on the telephone, in the kitchenette sink, on the floor...)

-Inside of rooms is tacky, unless you like tropical colors, Jimmy Buffet style

-When we checked out, we had a surcharge of 14 dollars a day for resort fees....now, when I asked, they said that s because 30mns of free local calls are included (we did not know anyone in Key West, too bad...) and complimentary transportation to and from Key West airport (we drove from Miami...). I was so disgusted at that point, I did not ask for the fee to be waived but I think you can do something if you really want to

Honestly, I never write reviews online but I told my boyfriend during the trip I owed it to other tourists like us to do it and I wanted to keep my word.
Also, I really think they discriminate against reservations made through Expedia, Travelocity, etc...as opposed to those made through their own website. You just need to know it when your room is assigned.

In short (well, long now...), go somewhere else in Key west. We liked the little Inns and Beds and Breakfast nearby (I would recommend The Gardens from what I saw) and stay away from the (small) beaches. The smell is too strong. It s not worth it.

• Stayed: August 2005