“Do not go here”

The Reach Key West, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed 16 November 2006

The pctures are very decieving this hotel is not open it is closed and under construction. It is not even open to the public do not book here it is a big scam. If you booked this hotel ask for you money back as soon as possible. The staff at the sister resort CASA MARINA will tell you that you have been moved to thier hotel which is also a total dump. DO NOT GO HERE it is old slimy and smells like ----. You ca fish off thier pier at night and all you see are huge shark which are sure to eat you during the day wheh you try to go swimming here. DO NOT GO HERE stay out of key west it is all old and very expensive. Go to Orlando and have a better time. Or try going to California and stay in Shell Beach or Pismo Beach for mush less.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank anafer
Write a ReviewReviews (3,825)

Reviewed 6 September 2006

We stayed at the Reach Resort for a week in August for our honeymoon and it was a very disappointing experience. We went to Key West after staying in South Beach Miami at the Loews for a week, so we were used to a nice place, and we were shocked when we saw the Reach Resort. It was old and dirty and too expensive (over 300$ a night). When I saw the parking garage, I already knew it would be bad. The room was quite big, that was the only good part, but there was a mildew smell in the bathroom, the couch was dirty (it had brown spots), there was a long black hair hanging on the wardrobe door for the entire week we stayed there. The safe was full of dust, you almost don't want to put anything in it. The air conditioning was loud. We stayed at the pool most of the time, but there was always noise because of the constructions right next to the pool. When people ordered food to their room, the plates would not be removed from the room, so there were always dirty plates and cups on the floor outside the room. It was smelly because they were out in the heat for a couple of days before someone took them away. The gym was very disappointing. I had never seen such old and rusty free weights before. We wanted to get a massage done, but when we saw the Spa area, we decided not to waste any more money at that Resort. We went to the Casa Marina to see what that place looked like and it seemed a lot nicer. We were finally very happy when we had to evacuate because of hurricane Ernesto so we could leave the hotel 2 days earlier than what we had planned.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
9  Thank qayw
Reviewed 13 August 2006

We stayed at the Reach Resort in Key West on August 11th, 2006 in the Luxury Oceanview Suite ($475 a night). I would not call this luxurious at all. The shower was full of mold and smelled of sewer, the wallpaper was falling off the wall and had mold all over the wallpaper. We had NO HOT WATER to shower. This resort was very run down, and only had 1 working elevator, which took forever.

The resort was not will to resolving any of our issues and the management was very rude.

I would stay home before I would stay at this hotel in Key West!

9  Thank RCBrabec
Reviewed 12 August 2006

Having never been to Key West, my family relied heavily on reading hotel websites. Unfortunately for us, the Reach Resort's(and that word resort is a joke) website was extremely misleading. The hotel was the dirtest most run down hotel we have ever stayed in. Actually we have stayed in roadside motels that were 100% better than the rooms at the Reach Hotel. We had to change rooms two times just trying to find a room that everything worked. We never got one. We decided not to change rooms anymore because we were exhausted from moving our own things from one room to another because the hotel did not help us. We even had to roll the rollaway bed from one room to another ourselves. So for the first day of our vacation we just spent it moving. The room we stayed in had bugs, broken lamps, electrical outlets that didn't work, a hairdryer that didn't work, fixtures falling off the walls and my all time favorite memory, is the rat on our balcony. We spent as little time as possible at the hotel because of its condition and the staff were very rude and really didn't care what problems you were having. We checked out with an enormous bill and it was just a waste of money. I wrote a letter when we got home telling the hotel management how disgusting their hotel was and even asked if they would make an adjustment on our bill. We have not heard any response from them. I would say to you who are reading this, if you are not sure to believe me or some other review that says the hotel is nice, please don't have any doubts, this hotel is just awful. Even our two sons said they could not believe how filthy it was. Oh did I mention we all went out and bought socks so we could walk around the room. Within minutes they were jet black. That's how filthy it was. Oh and our city view was garbage cans. Please please don't stay at this hotel. Oh they have a great beach but you can stay somewhere else and still go to the beach.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank FloridaFamily2006
Reviewed 7 August 2006

We stayed at the Reach Resort 2 weeks ago and can honestly tell you: do not stay here.
Bathroom: dirty, full of rust and MOLD
Bed: tiny
Pool: tiny
Balcony and windows: dirty
Not to mention the rudeness of the beachboy: we asked if we could have an umbrella. His answer: "probably". (?!) After waiting for a while we took it ourselves. There was no stick to keep it open so we asked for one. His anwer: "just look for one on the beach".
There are lovely B&B in Key West. Whatever you do: avoid this hotel. Reach Resort: SHAME ON YOU

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Semele
Reviewed 31 July 2006

Let me start by saying that I have never had such an experience with a hotel. From the very beginning, it was an unpleasant experience. I was told when I made my reservation no deposit was required and was even urged to reserve two rooms and decide later which room I preferred. Two days later when I checked my account, I saw two withdrawals, a deposit for each room. I called accounting for one week straight in order to have the Reach Resort credit my account the deposit for the room we no longer wanted. I only heard from someone after the matter had been taken care of. Hindsight tells me I should have cancelled my reservation completely and chosen to stay somewhere else. On the website, our room was described as "luxurious comfort and incredible views of Old Town and Key West". In reality, we had a room with a dirty balcony that overlooked a junkpile in someone's back yard, a bathroom with peeling wallpaper, a lamp with a missing switch, a mini-bar that we never received a key for, a non-existent sofa bed as promised in the description, a parking deck filled with dust and debris from the nearby construction, and a hotel with a staff that showed us no concern and was somewhat rude. And the grand finale was when I checked my bank account today and saw two charges on my account totaling $243 over the amount I signed the receipt for when I checked out. I have spent the day attempting to get someone on the phone to handle this matter and not surprising, I have not heard back from anyone. The nicest people working at this so called resort were the people working the pool and pool bar and one of the valet guys that offered to call us a cab. I don't feel that the hotel's rates are in-line with the type of service provided and am telling everyone I know to avoid the Reach Resort if they do not enjoy having their bank account in jeopardy!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank travelingheel
Reviewed 8 June 2006

We stayed at the Reach Resort for our honeymoon and paid extra for a suite with an ocean view, while in fact the only ocean view we had was of hineys over at the Atlantic Shores. We were on the side of the hotel so while we could see the ocean from our room, it was not worth the money that we paid to upgrade by far. The week in Reach cost us 2200.00 not to mention the 300. that they had previously and unknowingly taken out of our account three months in advance when our travel agent decided to book the room for us and let them have our credit card number. Thanks for the heads up Reach Resort - nothing like trying to pay for a wedding and having $300 taken out of your account ahead of time. Anyway - The room. What a dump - I was totally grossed out when we checked into our hotel and there was a hair in the tub that stayed there all week. Next - The King size bed that we were supposed to have barely fit the two of us and not to mention was the hardest thing that I have ever slept on. I preferred the sofa some nights - how great is that for my honeymoon. Besides the fact that this hotel was absolutely not worth the money, it was a dump. Shulas was great, but extremely expensive. I would never recommend this hotel to another person as it is a dump and should be entirely knocked down!

• Stayed: May 2006