“PERFECT KEY WEST HOTEL & LOCATION”
Review of Blue Marlin Motel

Blue Marlin Motel
Ranked #35 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
orlando, fl
“PERFECT KEY WEST HOTEL & LOCATION”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We recently stayed at The Blue Marlin and had a great time; the location is great - you can park you car and walk the rest of your visit! The hotel was clean and our room and several around us looked like they had been remodeled, sleek and simply modern - very Eurpoean. In addition to the wonderful comments everyone else makes about the place we were on a group trip for a Birthday party and the staff, especially Marcus, was unbelievable. . .we rode down on motorcylces and had limited space to carry things, Marcus helped me arrange a wonderful reception for our arrival and communicated with me constantly until we both accomplished the goal. He was the iceing on the cake. I am very greateful! This is a great Key West style place to stay, GO AND CHECK IT OUT! The staff also recomended several restaraunts and bars for us to check out while we were there, it was just a great stay and trip!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank taraOrlando_Fl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

There was a billing rate error, which I immediately brought to the attention of Natalie at the front desk. See was immediately able to correct it and was very sincere about the issue. Everything was fixed quickly and I was extremely impressed on how she handled it. Sometimes things happen and she made sure everything was taken care of! Thank you Natalie

Great service

• Stayed February 2013
dBranham, General Manager at Blue Marlin Motel, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Thanks. Happy that Natalie took care of you! We appreciate your business!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed at the Blue Marlin Motel for 2 weeks in Feb 2013. The staff was kind and efficient. The rooms (with microwave, small refridgerator and coffee pot, were extremely clean and the beds firm. The wi-fi was speedy, although not as fast as my home. The continental breakfast was adequate with pastries, toast, apples and bananas as well as juices, coffee and tea. The pool is beautiful, very large and very clear - and open until midnight! I highly recommend the Blue Marlin Motel in Key West. I rated it Excellent because of the quality for the price. We will definitely be staying there again!

Room Tip: It's 2 story, so upstairs will avoid the "someone's walking on my head" feeling...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for letting us know about your stay! We appreciate your comments in your post. Hope to see you again!
caledon, ontario, canada
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We chose the Blue Marlin hotel because of the price and overall good reviews. As soon as you get withing 3 hours of the keys prices are up there including Key West so 200 $ is an average in this part of Florida. Having said that, rooms were large, clean, TV worked, pool area was also clean and a nice retreat at the end of a touristy day. Breakfast was adequate, service at front desk very helpful. Decor is basic in the rooms so don't expect anything near luxury here for your money. Free parking in front of your room is also a bonus. A quick walk up near by Duval St and you are where all the action is. Personally, I liked the idea we were able to come back to the hotel and leave the louder, noisier Key West behind.

Room Tip: upper floor close to middle of hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laker123
Indy
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We have previously stayed at the Blue Marlin; all the observations on the other posts appropriately describe the facility. Nice, good value, old but nicely updated, etc.

Here we’ll talk about their business ethic$.

In December 2012, we reserved a room for a couple of nights in January. In early January, we needed to make other arrangements. We promptly emailed a cancellation to the Blue Marlin; they acknowledged the cancelation.

About 5 days before our cancelled reservation, they emailed a note saying “looking forward to your upcoming arrival.” I replied to the email – “remember this reservation has been canceled.” They acknowledged this email.

To shorten the story, the Blue Marlin personnel told me I didn’t use the proper procedure to cancel so they couldn’t refund my deposit. They told me that responding to the email wasn’t good enough, even though they responded to my second cancellation notice. I guess that somehow via ESP, I was supposed to know their email came from a contracted service and I should know the terms of their arrangement with this contractor. In our last telephone call, she told me that she wouldn’t refund me.

So, I disputed the charge with American Express. They were very reasonable and understanding. AmEx removed the charge from my account. And I can only assume withdrew the funds from the Blue Marlin’s bank account.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank boatman46256
dBranham, General Manager at Blue Marlin Motel, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Below are the emails we received in our remote location for guest questions - NOT EVEN TO THE MOTEL'S EMAIL:

from Guest
Please cancel this reservation and refund our deposit.
Thanks
Gary

Our representative's response TO guest:

This is a remote location and we do not have access to the property’s information or reservations. Please contact the property directly. YOUR RESERVATION IS NOT CANCELED. We apologize. Lucy

Email from guest:

Contrary to your comment, this reservation was cancelled within the time frame.
Can you not read "cancel this reservation.'
Are you you stupid?

Gary

We never received a cancellation to the motel from this guest. Even though he was advised that the place he was emailing to did NOT have the ablity to cancel, he replies that the reservation IS canceled - are we stupid?

We tried to help this guest with no luck. We would NEVER deny a guest cancellation within the alloted time period and most times, we will cancel without penalty inside of the cancellation. Had he called the property as directed, the reservation could have been cancelled and his money refunded and the room sold to someone that wanted it. Stupid? Maybe, but maybe not -maybe just trying to be honest and helpful. We acted accordingly and advised the guest as well. Sorry.
Brasília
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Excellent motel in Key West. Great location, in a walking distance of the beach and the city center. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. There is a swimming pool and continental breakfast is included and not bed for american patterns. As the prices are not high, I think it is a very good option for Key West.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MARCIA1965
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I am a child of the 60's, and as we pulled into the parking lot of the Blue Marlin, I flashed back to "Where the Boys Are" and Florida motels of the 60's, which is not always a bad thing. We arrived about 5 hours before check in, and I went to the office where they gave me permission to park in their lot while we roamed Key West. When we checked into the room, it was definitely a throwback to the 60's, but was clean and spacious, and had a tub, instead of just a shower as we have been finding in many name brand chains. We didn't use it, but there was a beautiful pool. We were able to walk all over Duval Street, walk back to the room to check in and change and walk back to Mallory Square to watch the sunset. It was expensive, $200 for the night, but given the location and the prices of other properties we looked at, I was well satisfied.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple