“Not bad, but not great”

Ranked #53 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Las Cumbres, Panama, Panama
“Not bad, but not great”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed with my family during our Key West visit. The place is very charming (on the outside). We stayed on the second floor, in a 2 floor, 2 bedroom condo. As soon as you put the key in the lock, you could notice it's a bit rundown (or it has a lack of maintenance), the lock would be loose (I don't know how else to explain it, the lock itself sort of jiggled), but it's no big deal. When we walked in, right in the front door, the linoleum was cracked. Now I am not a diva, and I have slept on the floor from time to time, but well, that's what I saw. Nice small kitchen, it served its purpose. Good sized living room, with a nice balcony. We didn't have much of a view, but we hardly spent time there.

The upstairs was small but it had the two bedrooms and they were ok. One of the bathrooms did not lock (I have had this happen at about 6 hotels I've stayed at, so I assume that bathroom locks will not work wherever I go).

The air conditioning did freeze up one time, and we woke up in a pool of sweat, but it was quickly fixed (it is much hotter where I live so it wasn't the end of the world).

The little bar was a bit weird, they could not sell hard liquor, so the margaritas were made with tequila wine? something like that. They did not taste good, should have just drank a beer. The marina is very nice, and the pool is in the shade and very nice. There were lots of parking spaces.

If you like to run/walk/jog every day, I would recommend this place. If you go out and take a left, there is this long road (that leads to Smathers Beach) that you can use to exercise and have a great view.

Would I recommend this? Depends on whom do I recommend it to, and would be very clear about every issue I had. Would I stay again? For the right cost I would.

1 Thank Patricia L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Portland, CT
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We traded our timeshare here and after reading some of the reviews I was concerned. But I believe they have been reading the reviews as well so there are many improvements where people complained in the past. We were in a studio, unit 401. The room is nice enough. The air conditioning is quiet, and while there is a lot of traffic noise during the day, it was quiet enough at night and it never bothered me. We had plenty of supplies provided for the week in terms of paper towels, toilet paper and so forth. You can switch towels as often as you like for clean ones. We had tons of cable TV options. Plenty of dishes and so forth for 2 people who mainly just ate breakfast there. Some of the furniture was a little beat up, but the bed was comfortable and in nice shape. The bathroom was nice and great shower. Everything was very clean. We rented bikes from the bar and road these all week during the day. We also rented a car which we used to go out at night. Nothing is that far, but on the 1 speed bikes that everyone has it takes awhile to get around, and near town traffic gets bad. We enjoyed happy hour in the bar and everyone there was really nice, great service, very friendly people, mostly locals. If you like to meet and talk to people who live and work in Key West, this is a great place to do that. Restaurants nearby that we enjoyed included Roostica (mostly pizza and Italian), Hogfish Bar and Grill, and La Trattoria Oceanside. Free parking for all of these. Overall a good experience and I would go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SharonCT
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Spent a long weekend visiting Key West for a wedding. Met up with several family members and we stayed at the Coconut Mallory with my mother. She depends on a walker and any excursion out of the house causes her some amount of stress. How many stairs are there? How far will we have to walk? Is there convenient parking? Parking in Key West is a challenge at most places.

Coconut Mallory was a perfect place for us to stay. Free parking was always available right in front of our room. We were booked right next to the elevator for my mother's convenience. Having the kitchen and dining areas available meant we could cook family dinners and eat together like it was a holiday gathering without my mother being stressed. She had a great time and we all enjoyed the sunshine and warmth of Key West in February.

Coconut Mallory was easy to find, near the airport but away from the bustle and crowded feel of Duval street. We were no more than 10 minutes from any of the locations we wanted to see or places we wanted to eat (every place had fantastic food - I highly recommend The Commodore and Kermit's Key Lime Pie factory is a must).

The staff are all full of smiles and very welcoming. Nanni is great.
If you are looking to party the night away in Key West, this is not the place for you. But if you want a relaxing, family friendly place to stay at a reasonable cost, this is it.

2 Thank Michele B
Carmel, California
Reviewed 14 March 2014

As other reviews have mentioned, could use some updating....and some condos were being painted while we were there....stayed for one week and enjoyed the area....far enough from Duvall St., so quiet around the condos was the name of the game...a lovely pool area just below our condo....a BBQ area....would return anytime...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anne R
Litchfield, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Granted the rooms are not elegant by any means, and are "dated" needing some serious updating. We stayed in the one bedroom loft with the spiral staircase. If you want a place to relax away from the hustle and bustle of Duval street without breaking the bank, this is your place. If you want to nit pick about every little detail and have high expectations of what a "cheap" place in Key West should be then look elsewhere. That being said, places in Key West can cost you a heck of alot more per night. The outside marina bar is great and the staff is awesome there. We went a couple of years ago and are looking forward to going back. Give them a try, just keep an open mind and remember, you're in Key West and this place is cheap compared to the others.

Room Tip: don't stay on the first floor of the high rises. noisy
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NHsn0wbird
Central America
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We, as many travelers, are going on vacations and staying in villas, houses, condos or apartments instead of hotels mainly because they feel like home; unfortunately, not always everything detailed in the virtual adds, is what we get, once there.
Coconut Mallory is located at the road entrance to the key, the key is small, however the hotel, from our point of view, is far away from the "life" of the city, you can walk to the center of the city, but you better be in good shape. The price is OK, the WIFI worked OK, the place was clean but with decay, beds were hard, the rest acceptable, all these is what we travelers expect for the price we pay as a minimum. The unit we stayed in was old, it was wooden but not Key West style, ground floor is for parking cars, we stayed in a two floor apartment, it had a balcony on top of a mangrove so we got some mosquitos, not the end of the world. The climate in Key West at the time of our visit was great, it was hot and we like hot to walk about, but we like cool when we return from our ventures, by the second day the air conditioning "froze", it had to be disconected and we had to open windows and use the fans, after that it never really worked to our like again.
We left one day early even though we had the day paid ahead of time. The hotel personnel were very friendly and courteous. It's a quiet place, there were very few residents at the time of our visit.
We plan to return to Key West, but not to Coconut Mallory.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay I'd suggest avoiding the units 106 to 225, the others look newer.
2 Thank MEDTRAV
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I and my Lady rented in Feb., 2014, at this beautiful tropical hotel, set up in a condo fashion, with separate buildings, easy access, quiet, with marina and small bar right on the north bay across from Stock Island. The two ladies serving in the office were terrific, going out of their way to offer help and advice. The two story apartment was very clean, quiet, private. The tropical vegetation in the complex was beautiful as well. The outdoor pool was clean, easy to access and relatively large. We noticed on signage that one could buy into annual time shares, though not one person even brought that subject up to us. The hotel had rentals of bikes and water vehicles. The site is very much on the north end of Key West where one is not faced with the tourist traffic of Old Town. Note: The island is only 4 miles long and 2 miles wide, with this hotel being about as far north as one can go until crossing on to Stock Island. I recommend Coconut Mallory enthusiastically.

Room Tip: Based upon the hotel's location and layout, I don't think there is a bad room possible.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple