First of all, I want to preface this by saying I spent months reading and agonizing over some of the negative reviews this place got. I almost backed out of the reservations. We spend our summers in a gorgeous oceanfront condo in Tavernier and travel to Key West and stay at the Westin for a week to do the 'tourist' thing. (We live in Orlando during the year). This summer we decided to trade a week of time from our timeshare and found Coconut Mallory. I only saw one other room other than ours so I can't speak about other accommodations and the negative experiences other people had. But, I can speak about the one we were in.
I'm going to give the cons first-
1. When we walked into the room, the furnishings were a bit dated. Things are NOT brand new in this unit. Only 1 paddle fan for the entire two bedroom unit and it was in the second bedroom.
2. After looking around before unloading our baggage, I noticed a 'swarm' of flying ants in the kitchen window. Termites? Ants? I'm not quite sure.
3. The bar does not serve our favorite keg beer-Miller Lite. LOL
4. It is a car drive to Duval and Mallory Square.
That's it foks. Those are the cons. And I'm used to staying at the Westin (which has had dated and chipped paint in their units as well).
1. I called the front desk about the swarming ants before I unpacked anything and they were immediately on it. Noni even came down personally to view the window within a matter of minutes. They sent housekeeping and about 3 other employees down to clean, change the window screen, put a sealer on the window, you name it. When I still expressed concern, Noni immediately called Jenny and Jenny told her she would try to place us in another unit. Long story short we stayed in this unit and loved it. Never had another bug issue. Now that's customer service.
2. PLEASE read the website about what they supply!!! I overheard a woman in the office asking how she was going to clean the counter tops in the kitchen when cleaner wasn't provided. They give you enough kitchen supplies to get you started, but you may need to bring some of your own or GO TO PUBLIX!!!!
NO MAID SERVICE HERE!!!
3. The room is comfortable and in a great location to the marina. We spent very little time in the room and when we were there, we spent most of it down on the dock sitting at a table enjoying the beautiful summer breeze. Yes, even though it was 90 degrees, there was a breeze.
4. When I told housekeeping that it was warm in the master bedroom with no paddle fan, they immediately found a fan for us to use. (Thank you Jose). It worked out well.
5. What an awesome experience buying fresh fish right off the boat from the young men who came in every night after diving and selling their fish. What a great Key West experience.
If you want maid service, perfect furniture, a critter free environment, this place isn't for you. If you want to come and enjoy the familly friendly environment-try this. Check out the room first and ask lots of questions before booking. We will skip the Westin and come back here.
Thank you Noni and Jenny. (Loved the free donuts on Tuesday and BBQ on Sunday)
I'm already looking forward to next year.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Coconut Mallory Resort And Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Mallory Resort And Marina Hotel Key West
- Coconut Mallory Resort And Marina Key West, Florida