“I am by no means a snob, but you have got to be kidding me.”

Coconut Mallory Resort And Marina
Ranked #53 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Rhode Island
“I am by no means a snob, but you have got to be kidding me.”
Reviewed 15 November 2006

My new wife and I stayed here about a month ago. My parents own a floating week here and were kind enough to let us use it for our honeymoon. Upon arrival the place looked decent enough. Pretty grounds and away from all the hub-bub of downtown. I quickly noticed the parking situation didn't look to good. Meaning there wasn't alot of it and it was quite hard to maneuver especially for larger vehicles. The people at the front office (shack) were not rude but not overly pleasnt either. We had unit 106, a 1 story condo on the end overlooking the marina and bar (another shack). Right off the bat we noticed a musty/moldy smell in our unit. We just figured we would get used to it. Upon closer inspection we saw many more flaws with the room. First of which was an index card taped to the wall above the thermostat. It stated : "Please do not set thermostat below 75 degrees to prevent the A/C units from freezing up." Now that's just wrong, lol. Almost all of the wallpaper was bubbled up or peeling as was whatever was on the ceiling. The rugs were torn in spots. The entertainment center looked ready to fall apart and the doors that covered the T/V were broken. Then there was the kitchen which was a disaster. Cracked tiles here as well. A HUGE crack running the entire depth of the counter. Broker sink sprayer. 2 heating elements on the stove appeared to be broken as well, tho we did not try to use it due to this fact. We did however try to use the dishwasher which was defineatly broken. The coffee pot was disgusting and the light didn't work in the fridge. On a better note the toaster looked brand new. Oh yea, did I mention the whole kitchen was infested with ants! There were 2 pools but we only used the one right outside our room. It was a little on the small side but other than that decent I guess. We would have liked to use the hot tub but unfortunately it was broken and had caution tape around it. Halfway through our stay we got a phone call from the office offering us $50 cash to take a survey. I said why not. A man that could have been Bill Clinton's brother accent and all took us to his "office". (A table near the pool) The survey took all of 5 minutes, but the office failed to mention the whole talking you into buying one of these shacks thing. To make a 2 hour story short, they wanted us to buy a week in one of these for $34,000. Plus an $800 a year maintenence fee. What exactly were they maintaining? A word to the wise, not a good idea to try and sell someone something unless your sure they like it. They should have been targeting people that were NOT staying there and showed them a demo unit that wasn't a run down ant colony. But that's just me. Needless to say we ended up purchasing a timeshare at the Windward Pointe Hyatt just down the street. Guess how much it was? ONLY $15,000. I wouldn't take back our stay because it was our honeymoon and all but I would never stay there again. If we had actually paid money for this stay I would have been livid.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay Away!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
15 Thank warbird78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
NJ
Reviewed 23 October 2006

The accomodations - pools - broken jacuzzi - rude staff - the place was truly awful. I would not board my dog there. The room was so dirty and had bugs (roaches) - I was afraid to turn-off my lights at night to sleep. My husband and I did a week trade with a partner time-share - which has always been lovely and exceptional stays. Coconut Mallory did not have one amenity and we were advised it was within walking distance to Duvall Street - it was clearly a 15 minute drive. The restaurant - NOT - Gumbo's was horrendous shack that served beer/wine - that was always out of stock. The closest food location was 3 or 4 miles down the road - we were truly disgusted at the whole trip. We left 2 days earlier then intended and went back to Miami - to salvage what was left of our vacation.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — It was not clean
  • Tips/Secrets — It is not within walking distance to Duvall or other KW attraction
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CFF_PJF_Vacations
Florida
Reviewed 28 August 2006

When I checked in I was given very little info about the place. Unit was a timeshare exchange and we had a 2 bedroom. Unit had a living room, full kitchen, and balcony. Both bedrooms were upstairs, along with 2 full bathrooms. The unit itself was nice. Very clean and we had very few problems with it, other than one of the bathrooms was listed as being downstairs, when both of them were upstairs. Inconvenient but that is the way it was. One of my major problems with this place was with the front desk. No one mentioned anything about the front desk not being staffed all the time, or even what hours someone would be there. I went there at 9pm to ask someone a question and it was closed. I called the front desk the next morning at 10am, and there was no answer. I figured they must be busy so I stopped down at 11am and the doors were locked and no one to be seen. How can they call this place a resort if the front desk is still closed at 11am? I met a couple of people trying to check out that morning and they couldn't because no one was there. They didn't just want to leave because they had a deposit on the room key. ($20) These people were trying to leave early in the morning and couldn't. A couple of days later I called the front desk to ask them if someone would be there in the morning when I attempted to check out, and she told me that they are open at 8am every day. Now on to the rest of the complex. They have 2 pools. One of them appears to be new but the lights were never on at night and it was a little dangerous to have a youth swimming around in the dark. The other pool was absolutely disgusting. The filter wasn't on. The temp. on the pool had to be 85-90 degrees, and there were hundreds of dead bugs on the surface. I have been in other pools in tropical climates and it has always been very refreshing to jump in the pool on a very hot day. Not at this place. It felt warmer than taking a bath. The housekeeping staff was extremely helpful when I needed some supplies for the room. They did not come to my room during the week, and I wasn't entirely expecting them to. Most timeshares have a similar setup. Although some do a mid week cleaning. There is a small bar by the marina. I only got to visit this place twice while I was there, but I really liked it. It's great to have a place to grab a quick drink that isn't in the tourist district. This is the kind of place you could turn into a local pretty quick. My final comments: The atmosphere of this place is like a condo complex, with a disgusting pool. The room was nice and comfortable. The services you normally find at a resort were absolutely non existent. I think there should be some standards that would qualify a resort to be called a resort. There was "nothing" about this place that made me feel like I was on vacation.

• Liked — The room itself was nice.
  • Disliked — There were no resort services or atmosphere.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
11 Thank skpr77
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 March 2006

Key West was awsome to begin with but then when i met dee, melinda, mike, and everyone else that was at the bar i had so much more fun because i felt very comfortable with them. They helped make my Trip more relaxing and a hell of a lot more fun! Thank you everyone!!!

• Stayed February 2006