“Clean & Quiet”

Coconut Mallory Resort And Marina
Ranked #52 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 August 2007

We booked through Interval and had a nice time. Our condo was very clean and the grounds & pool & jacuzzi & marina & bar were all open and well-maintained. The only negative is that we had to drive our scooter down to have a margarita @ watch the sunset & entertainment at the square. It took about 10 minutes to drive there. Nothing against the resort, though!

Stayed: December 2006
2  Thank JustDoIt31

Reviewed 23 May 2007

Coconut Mallory is a very good location if you want a more remote "resort" on Key West. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful during our visit. The pools are wonderful and the other guests we met at the resort were nice people who we wanted to be around. The suites were plenty large enough and the dock off the back of the resort area is really one of a kind in the area. A bus to the Duval Street area comes right to the property so you have all the benefits of seclusion without feeling needlessly isolated. We also loved the little lizards on the property.

The downside of the resort was clearly maintenance. One playground onsite was nowhere near up to snuff and our kitchen faucet was a little leaky. Since it's not a big chain, I would not expect the units to be super pristine. Honestly you will probably not spend much time in your unit anyway so if you want to visit Key West I would certainly consider this place.

• Stayed: March 2004, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank keatingfamily
Reviewed 23 April 2007

I just arrived home from a week stay at the coconut mallory with my family. This condo is not a resort. It has 2 nice pools and a marina that is close to non-existant. The room was dated and NOT CLEAN. We purchased a container of nuts to snack on while in the room and left it on the kitchen counter. The next morning, a rodent of some type had eaten thru the plastic cover. I reported this to Jenny in management. At the same time I was in the office, another vacationer was giving Jenny samples of bugs that were inhabitating his room. She told me she was calling the exterminator but I could tell from her less than accomondating attitude that she was not going to do that. Her reponse to me was that because there are no screens on the windows, a raccoon may have come in and eaten the nuts!!! I knew Jenny was not correct because the very next morning there were small rodent droppings all over the kitchen counter. Towels were another problem at the Coconut Mallory. There was a shortage and the towel exchange office was frequently not open at the times advertised. My ankles and feet were covered with tiny bites and itching the entire week at the Coconut Mallory, bed bugs??? maybe, because I am home and no longer itchy. We resorted to buying a sheet to cover the existing sheets on the bed. There were many people visiting the coconut mallory everyday to purchase time share, I feel badly for these people. as another vacationer said as we were packing up the car, "checking out..GOOD...it sucked, didnt it" Thankfully while we were on key west, we saw lots of beautiful hotels that we would like to try if we go back. I suggest any of them except COCONUT MALLORY.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank RITravelLover
Reviewed 28 November 2006

We stayed at the resort over Thanksgiving 2006. The room (2bdrm 2 bath) seemed clean. Although, everyday my wife, kids (3), and myself would wake up with what seemed to be itchy bug bites. We didn't have them before we got there and they stopped when we got home so who knows. Anyway, the pools were OK, nothing fancy. The bar is closing down permanately in a few weeks so there was nothing going on there. The front desk staff was a little "mouthy". They would complain to their friends on the phone about other guests while we were standing there (happened on three different occasions), they never seemed to be there either. I can't tell you how many times I went to the front offfice (only because they didn't answer the front desk phone) and nobody was there at all different times throughout the day. The laundry is on the top floor (not in the rooms) and there are no quarter machines anywhere in the resort. The front desk tells you that you need to go to the bar (soon to close) to get quarters. The problem with that is the bar doesn't open until 4pm. There is NO housekeeping in the middle of the week. No big deal you can exchange your towels and sheets at the housekeeping dept. Those ladies were very nice. The resort is NOT within walking distance to anything, we had a rental so no big deal.

We travel extensively and have three kids so we are not very pickey. I can honestly say the resort is a 2.5 out of 5.

As for Key West. Really an adult playground, NOT a great place for kids. ALOT of shopping (the wife was in heaven!). Beaches suck! I saw the Travel Channel had "Florida's Top Ten Beaches" on this past summer. They rate Smathers #5 or #6. Somebody paid them off!! Smathers sucks if you want to go in the water (smelly brown water and alot of sea grass). The Jersey shore has nicer water (if you know what I mean). The beach itself is nice, and Sunset watersports had alot of things to do at reasonable prices (we did snorkeling at the reef and water kayaks). Overall, Duvall street is great along with Mallory square.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank phillytraveler12
Reviewed 15 November 2006

My new wife and I stayed here about a month ago. My parents own a floating week here and were kind enough to let us use it for our honeymoon. Upon arrival the place looked decent enough. Pretty grounds and away from all the hub-bub of downtown. I quickly noticed the parking situation didn't look to good. Meaning there wasn't alot of it and it was quite hard to maneuver especially for larger vehicles. The people at the front office (shack) were not rude but not overly pleasnt either. We had unit 106, a 1 story condo on the end overlooking the marina and bar (another shack). Right off the bat we noticed a musty/moldy smell in our unit. We just figured we would get used to it. Upon closer inspection we saw many more flaws with the room. First of which was an index card taped to the wall above the thermostat. It stated : "Please do not set thermostat below 75 degrees to prevent the A/C units from freezing up." Now that's just wrong, lol. Almost all of the wallpaper was bubbled up or peeling as was whatever was on the ceiling. The rugs were torn in spots. The entertainment center looked ready to fall apart and the doors that covered the T/V were broken. Then there was the kitchen which was a disaster. Cracked tiles here as well. A HUGE crack running the entire depth of the counter. Broker sink sprayer. 2 heating elements on the stove appeared to be broken as well, tho we did not try to use it due to this fact. We did however try to use the dishwasher which was defineatly broken. The coffee pot was disgusting and the light didn't work in the fridge. On a better note the toaster looked brand new. Oh yea, did I mention the whole kitchen was infested with ants! There were 2 pools but we only used the one right outside our room. It was a little on the small side but other than that decent I guess. We would have liked to use the hot tub but unfortunately it was broken and had caution tape around it. Halfway through our stay we got a phone call from the office offering us $50 cash to take a survey. I said why not. A man that could have been Bill Clinton's brother accent and all took us to his "office". (A table near the pool) The survey took all of 5 minutes, but the office failed to mention the whole talking you into buying one of these shacks thing. To make a 2 hour story short, they wanted us to buy a week in one of these for $34,000. Plus an $800 a year maintenence fee. What exactly were they maintaining? A word to the wise, not a good idea to try and sell someone something unless your sure they like it. They should have been targeting people that were NOT staying there and showed them a demo unit that wasn't a run down ant colony. But that's just me. Needless to say we ended up purchasing a timeshare at the Windward Pointe Hyatt just down the street. Guess how much it was? ONLY $15,000. I wouldn't take back our stay because it was our honeymoon and all but I would never stay there again. If we had actually paid money for this stay I would have been livid.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
15  Thank warbird78
Reviewed 23 October 2006

The accomodations - pools - broken jacuzzi - rude staff - the place was truly awful. I would not board my dog there. The room was so dirty and had bugs (roaches) - I was afraid to turn-off my lights at night to sleep. My husband and I did a week trade with a partner time-share - which has always been lovely and exceptional stays. Coconut Mallory did not have one amenity and we were advised it was within walking distance to Duvall Street - it was clearly a 15 minute drive. The restaurant - NOT - Gumbo's was horrendous shack that served beer/wine - that was always out of stock. The closest food location was 3 or 4 miles down the road - we were truly disgusted at the whole trip. We left 2 days earlier then intended and went back to Miami - to salvage what was left of our vacation.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CFF_PJF_Vacations
Reviewed 28 August 2006

When I checked in I was given very little info about the place. Unit was a timeshare exchange and we had a 2 bedroom. Unit had a living room, full kitchen, and balcony. Both bedrooms were upstairs, along with 2 full bathrooms. The unit itself was nice. Very clean and we had very few problems with it, other than one of the bathrooms was listed as being downstairs, when both of them were upstairs. Inconvenient but that is the way it was. One of my major problems with this place was with the front desk. No one mentioned anything about the front desk not being staffed all the time, or even what hours someone would be there. I went there at 9pm to ask someone a question and it was closed. I called the front desk the next morning at 10am, and there was no answer. I figured they must be busy so I stopped down at 11am and the doors were locked and no one to be seen. How can they call this place a resort if the front desk is still closed at 11am? I met a couple of people trying to check out that morning and they couldn't because no one was there. They didn't just want to leave because they had a deposit on the room key. ($20) These people were trying to leave early in the morning and couldn't. A couple of days later I called the front desk to ask them if someone would be there in the morning when I attempted to check out, and she told me that they are open at 8am every day. Now on to the rest of the complex. They have 2 pools. One of them appears to be new but the lights were never on at night and it was a little dangerous to have a youth swimming around in the dark. The other pool was absolutely disgusting. The filter wasn't on. The temp. on the pool had to be 85-90 degrees, and there were hundreds of dead bugs on the surface. I have been in other pools in tropical climates and it has always been very refreshing to jump in the pool on a very hot day. Not at this place. It felt warmer than taking a bath. The housekeeping staff was extremely helpful when I needed some supplies for the room. They did not come to my room during the week, and I wasn't entirely expecting them to. Most timeshares have a similar setup. Although some do a mid week cleaning. There is a small bar by the marina. I only got to visit this place twice while I was there, but I really liked it. It's great to have a place to grab a quick drink that isn't in the tourist district. This is the kind of place you could turn into a local pretty quick. My final comments: The atmosphere of this place is like a condo complex, with a disgusting pool. The room was nice and comfortable. The services you normally find at a resort were absolutely non existent. I think there should be some standards that would qualify a resort to be called a resort. There was "nothing" about this place that made me feel like I was on vacation.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family