“Our "House" in Key West”
Review of Eden House

Eden House
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Key West
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We just got back from a stay at the Eden House 5/11-5/15. Some thoughts:

More funk. That's how Mike Eden describes his philosophy on the website (really, it feels more like you're staying at a friend's house as opposed to a hotel). Some things that stick out in my mind:

The hotel: What a unique place. Again, more funk. The landscaping and pool are stunning. We stayed in the lower conch house, and had one of the larger rooms on the property so we didn't run into the smallish rooms. But as many others have commented, they make it clear on the website that some rooms are small. The grounds are very well kept and clean. I loved the funny signs all over the property....just be sure to not leave your children unattended.....

The amenities: This really helps set Eden House apart. Just so you get an idea...free sunscreen "bar', free umbrellas for a rainy day, free fruit in the morning, free cocktail hour with mixed drinks and delicious watermelon in the afternoons, and on, and on...

The staff: I only had the pleasure of talking to Rich and Stephanie during our stay, but if they represent the rest of the staff, what a group. From the beers at check-in to helping with pretty much anything during our stay...they are a great group of folks. Rich makes some mean drinks during cocktail hour (even though he had a bad experience with Gin as a young lad...), and Stephanie knows how to pick some awesome poolside tunes. "Genuine" is the best way I can describe all the staff I ran into, and that is a real treat as a traveler, to feel like the staff cares about how your stay is going.

I will be going back to Eden House in my future Key West travels. This isn't a chain resort that is immaculate, and it doesn't claim to be. If thats what you're looking for, go ahead and walk on by to the Hyatt/Hilton/Best Western. Leave the funk to the rest of us.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ShruteBeets
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

Dear ShruteBeets,

I am so pleased that you felt at home at the Eden House. That is what we are shooting for. A good vacation should be immediate break-in. Once you've had your check-in drink, a short intro to the grounds and you're in that Speedo, you are ready to roll. By the way, my favorite song by James Brown is ain't if funky now. If you've never heard it - check it out.

Oh yeah, we like to stick our noses in to help you find the right place to eat, the great watering holes and the perfect spot to watch the sunset. This is what we do.

Happy hour is 4 PM sharp and don't be late.

Mike and the gang

Reviewed 16 May 2011

I have to say.. My trip was cut short becasue of illness. I seem to now get some sort of vertigo when I fly. This is the second time, this has happened and I regretfully had to leave 2 days early. To my dismay, i will be paying a while on a trip i couldn't stay to enjoy. Total bummer. But noone's fault.

On to the review:
Short but great. Check in was easy -peasy and the room was ready well before the checkin time. A welcome drink and away you go. I stayed in room 502 a large deluxe. This was a great sized room. Clean and bright. I had a porch swing on my own private porch. To get to the room, you crossed a small brdge over the Koi pond to reach it. Really pretty. Plus my door was a straight view to the front desk. Good for security being a solo traveler.

Had lunch at Azur. Excellent. Yellow snapper sandwich and orzo salad and a mimosa.
walked the 5 or blocks to Duval street in no time to visit a walgreens and pick up some supplies, not allowed in a carry on bag.

As the dramamine wore off.. the worse I started to feel. Went to bed early.
Spent the next morning at the pool. Had a chair under some palm trees next to the waterfall. Really was great. Had lunch delivered from Azur to the pool.
Awesome.

The front desk staff was really great. Gina, and a young man didn;t catch his name at night and another in the early morning as I was leaving. Helpful and very nice.

I ended up leaving the next day... but even though it was short. I really have to say that this was the best hotel experience I have ever had. SO blows a chain hotel out of the water. I so hope that I will be able to get back again and have a proper stay. Driving may be a much better idea next time.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Sydneyjo25
edenhouse, Owner at Eden House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

Dear Sydneyjo25,

I'm sorry to hear about your vertigo. I had it several years back and it is one of the worst feelings of my life. I went to an Ears, Nose and Throat doctor and after many test to no avail she twisted my head around to adjust the inner ear crystals. She gave me some motion sickness pills and had me shake my head around for the next several weeks. Slowly at first and as I cut back on the medication I was told to speed up the shaking of my head. It worked after one more adjustment. For the next several years I carried Dramamine on me at all times and got out of bed very slowly. So much for my tale of whoa.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt comfortable being here on your own. We will try to keep the Eden House as it is until you return. Maybe a little paint here and there?

Take care, Mike Eden

Reviewed 13 May 2011

Get out of the big box hotel and stay at a unique and charming laid back hotel. The staff were super friendly and casual. The lobby is open aired with fresh coffee and tea. They offered us a free welcome drink and toured us around the lush landscaping to our cool room on the 2nd floor with a porch swing and a queen comfortable bed. The room had all the amenities you could ask for and and more. We chose the large deluxe room and the size was just right. The pool is tropical and a happy hour of cheap booze was great. We rented bikes right out front and had a great time touring the area. The only bad part was we had to leave.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sethstertoo
Reviewed 13 May 2011

This is a late review...

Our stay at the Eden House was during New Years Weekend. The staff was very pleasant from the check-in, to giving recommendations on local tips, and provided a beer when we arrived. The landscape/ environement of the hotel was immaculate and room was very comfortable. Not a large room, but we knew after reading the reviews what to expect and we did not spend any time in the room outside of sleeping and changing.

One thing that really added value was the on-site bike rentals. The location of Eden house is in a great spot of the city, close to Duval but not close to all the bustling action and a short throw away from the waterfront. It was only a 2 minutes bike ride to our favorite breakfast spot, Cuban Coffee Queen.

Would definitely stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank diguan
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I only stayed here for one night as I was on a cycling tour of South Florida. I arrived at the hotel after cycling from Marathon, and was immediately offered a complimentary beer or soft drink...nice touch! After checking in, I was told there was complimentary water, tea & coffee available in the reception hall, and that there was a complimentary cocktail happy hour at the pool every day between 5pm and 6pm...again, a really nice touch.

My room was facing the pool with a queen bed and private facilities. It was clean, simply furnished and had a/c, and wi-fi. The pool and Jacuzzi were clean with plenty of sun beds and hammocks available for use, and the grounds were well planted with flowers and shrubs to aid the cooling effect.

All in all, it was a great place to rest my weary body and only a short walk to Duval St, Mallory Sq etc. I'd definitely stay again!

During my stay, I found the hotel to have a really relaxing atmosphere

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank BobT44
Reviewed 10 May 2011

great location, nice neighborhood setting, couple of blocks from Duval, happy hour every afternoon. Friendly staff. had a great 5 days in a comfortable room .

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mcgb57
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Loved it from the second I walked in! Quirky, clean, relaxed, friendly & accommodating. The grounds are well-kept & the room was perfect for our needs & affordability. The pool is a great place to meet fellow guest especially at "happy hour". I would definitely recommend it to my friends & family & to you as well.
Oh, how I wish i could go back tomorrow.!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple